It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Polly's Gear Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 am 

guitars and pics

-Airline - AIRLINE® '59 3P
image hosting

Josh:
image hosting

-Gibson Firebird VII,
3 mini humbuckers?
image upload

-Gretsch Broadkaster
free image hosting

post image wordpress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:10 am 

guitars and pics

-'60s Fender Telecaster
adult image hosting

-Danelectro U2
Josh - Cat on the Wall
image uploading

-Eros Mark II - Gibson SG copy with all the strings tuned to A in various octaves
2011 - The Sky lit Up
image upload

-Fender '65 Fender Jaguar
1993 – Rid of Me live video
image uploader

-I don´t know these...someone?
image uploading

wordpress image upload

image uploader

image uploader

-Fender Jazzmaster
Parish
wordpress image upload

-PEDAL: John's effects:
MXR Distortion+
Boss DS-1 distortion
Demeter Tremulator tremolo
Boss Analog delay

http://www.pjharvey.net/reviews/review_95-0010-1.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:12 am 

Figured i would add that she's been using a big box EHX Deluxe Memory Man live as her delay on LES songs. I saw it in some pics, but the sound is pretty distinct (i use to own one).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 am 

ehx makes some gooooood pedals. i have the big muff and i looove it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 am 

I thought I'd throw my two cents in on the Airline. I think its an original and not an Eastwood. The Eastwood has a black truss rod cover and the base of the controls are black. If you look at PJ's, there is no truss rod cover and the controls are white, which seem to be the same as the originals were. Links to pictures are here:

'65 Airline: http://www.mainstreetvintageco.com/cata ... 780213.htm

PJ's Airline: http://littlefury.tumblr.com/post/3753457713

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:12 am 

Big Machine Writing wrote:
And i know that her black Tele's are tuned to drop D. Based on all the songs she uses it for. How did you find out about the year models of the Tele's...? Was there an article about it somewhere? To me they look like they are relatively recent, unless they are superbly looked after guitars which seems odd for people who tour so extensively.

Her 1968 black Telecaster was usually in standard tuning. I’m only aware of it being used in drop D for certain songs during the Uh Huh Her and White Chalk tours. Don’t know the date of the Tele with the non-Tele-style bridge saddles. And one of them was John Parish’s, I believe, but then he gave it to her. She also used a white Tele as a backup onstage in 1991-92 but I haven’t come across it in subsequent years.

I’d be most interested in figuring out which amps she was using in the 90s. I’m a bit bummed she hasn’t used Marshalls since then; I’ve only seen her with Vox and Orange this century.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:37 pm 

Hello all. Huge guitar nerd and massive PJ/JP fan, as well as her bandmates' other work.

Some of the unknowns pictured above are: Gretsch Jet Firebird (Polly pic), a couple of Hagstrom IIs (Josh Klinghofer, one white and one black). The Danelectro U2 JK is pictured with is a Baritone- the neck is way longer than a regular U2. Not sure about the hollowbody he's pictured with- the photo is too small/blurry and 404s when clicked on now. Looks like possibly a vintage Hofner though.

John Parish's black Telecaster is a '68 and likely all stock aside from the "Andy Summers" style bridge. It is still in JP's possession and was his first electric guitar, and is as it was when he got it plus a peace symbol sticker. This info is from Mr. Parish himself. :)

I recall somewhere a photo AWAMWB era of JP's pedalboard, with an Ibanez AD80 delay, maybe an MXR Distortion plus, and a couple of Joe Gore-built pedals, a Boring boost and another unidentified JG build. Also JP had switches for a signal path with and without a Copicat IC300 tape echo that can be clearly seen in a video shot during lockdown 2020 on Le Cargo. Also a great song! When I saw JP on tour for How Animals Move in 2003, he had an MXR Distortion Plus, a Diaz Tremodillo tremolo...and that was it. He might have had the Copicat back by the AC30. Sounded amazing. Adrian Utley also played guitar and the whole shebang still stands as probably the best show I've ever attended.

Anyway...I've been chasing some of these sounds and bits of kit for years and occasionally bugging JP and Joe Gore with questions they've graciously answered but any and all of them pull amazing sounds out of literally anything, and I've seen them use multiple bits to do the same parts enough to know it's mostly the player, not the gear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:46 pm 

Tascam Portastudio:
https://www.cjoint.com/c/LDgoQddYmoL

I don't know:
https://www.cjoint.com/c/LDgoRblj6eL

Boss DDR-550 or approaching:
https://www.cjoint.com/c/LDgoTq8UuWL
https://www.cjoint.com/c/LDgoTPb0gVL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:06 pm 

The second is a Tascam MF-P01 4-track recorder (I have one)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:08 pm 

https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/rig- ... pj-harvey/

Quote:
WORDS BY MIXDOWN STAFF
We dive into the gear of incomparable multi-instrumentalist PJ Harvey.
Arguably one of the most acclaimed musicians of the past 25 years, PJ Harvey is a force to be reckoned with.

Breaking into the mainstream consciousness with her massive 1991 single ‘Dress,’ Polly Jean Harvey’s unique brand of raw punk blues proved to be one of the most groundbreaking and inspiring forces that emerged in the 90’s.

Read up on all the latest features and columns here.

However, unlike other artists of her era, PJ Harvey has experienced unparalleled longevity due to her experiments with different genres and textures to critical acclaim in the 2000s, becoming the only artist to ever win the coveted Mercury Prize twice – first for 2000’s Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea and 2011’s Let England Shake.

A multi-instrumentalist with a penchant for vintage instruments and heavy tones, we dive into PJ Harvey’s wide assortment of gear.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:56 am 

Quote:
Throughout her studio and live output in the 1990s, PJ Harvey played a hollow body Gretsch Broadkaster from the 1970s. While the majority of the guitar is original, you can see that PJ has swapped out the original rounded Grestch tone knobs for more traditional witches hat knobs, which can be seen in the above image.

Those witches’ hat knobs are stock, not a mod. I have the Broadkaster 7609 and it came with those same knobs. I haven’t seen a 7609 that doesn’t have them.

Not sure what in that article is updated, but I see it still has the same misinformation about the Gibson. She didn’t have that guitar during the making of Stories…, she used the Telecaster and the Broadkaster on that album.

The list also doesn’t include her Jaguar, which was used extensively on TBYML.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:38 pm 

Earthquaker Devices Transmisser pedal. I've been noticing in the clips on YouTube that Polly uses it during "A Noiseless Noise." I wish I knew what the settings were for that particular song.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:18 pm 

Could somebody please ask the guitar techs for Polly what are the settings for "A Noiseless Noise" when she is using EarthQuaker Devices Transmisser? What were the other effects she used for the European tour for IITOYD?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:38 pm 

I saw the most recent pedalboard for IITOYD on World Cafe. Polly has a Boss Chromatic Tuner, a Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl chorus/vibrato pedal, a Crowther Hot Cake distortion pedal, and an EarthQuaker Devices Transmisser reverb pedal. Just wanted to say it on here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:57 am 

https://www.livedesignonline.com/concer ... -pj-harvey

Quote:
Playing live in support of 10th studio album, ‘I Inside the Old Year Dying’, avant-rock artist PJ Harvey played a string of sold-out dates at carefully chosen venues. As a close-knit touring family working with one of the industry’s most talented musicians, her engineers required audio solutions from a supplier that understood the calibre of detail needed on her production.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next