It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:33 pm 

Uncut magazine has awarded it 4 stars out of 5. 4 represents 'Brilliant' on their scale.

Very good review in latest edition.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 am 

I'm very pleased that it's got a great rating, Seamus Murphy's work is beautiful and an integral part of "Let England Shake".

I've not read the review, but something has been on my mind since getting the DVD on Christmas Day from my neice :) .

And that is the extra video on the DVD, the raw and up close, solo acoustic version of "England", I've not seen any mention of it anywhere here on the forum.

I feel it's the best ever song about England, and this version is so very "real", I just love it.

https://www.facebook.com/pjharveyalternativepage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 am 

PJ Harvey: Let England Shake: 12 Short Films By Seamus Murphy [DVD]

By David Bloom 1 February 2012

On my trip to England in March 2011, PJ Harvey’s recently-released Let England Shake was my most frequent soundtrack. Now, basing listening choices on region-specificity can feel overly contrived and a little corny; that is, making a point of listening to Kanye West in Chicago or Sonic Youth in New York is simply trying too hard, L.A. Woman in L.A. is way too on-the-nose, etc. But Harvey’s album had two qualities that made it a must listen. For one, it was among the best, most ambitious releases of early 2011, and damned if I was going to not listen to it specifically to avoid corniness. But, more importantly, I thought the physical landscape of England would complement Harvey’s deeply conflicted, but ultimately affectionate, take on her country’s historical and emotional landscapes. Harvey and Seamus Murphy had a similar idea, which is the basis for these short films.

The collaboration between Harvey and documentary photographer Murphy was hatched when she saw his 2008 exhibit and book, A Darkness Visible: Afghanistan. What was initially planned as a series of photos for Let England Shake turned into a documentary film project, which subsequently turned into a series of shorts to accompany every song on the album. Murphy’s photographic work is largely devoted to war- and disease-afflicted regions of the world, which makes him an intriguing fit for the project. Although Harvey’s album focuses largely on England’s military past, particularly World War I, the wounds remaining from these conflicts are more embedded in the nation’s overall psyche than in its geography. Thus he was challenged with fitting songs about England’s war-torn past to its visual present.

In the liner notes, Murphy claims that he intended to find “a visual language that worked with the music of each song, taking its melody and beat as the guide rather than the lyrics”, and the films generally work best when he adheres to that guideline. Murphy wisely let Harvey’s ominous, bouncy riff on “Istanbul (Not Constantinople)” on the title track suggest the empty carnival rides and Punch and Judy performance on its corresponding video. Similarly, ballroom dancers and celebratory rock show attendees are the appropriately disorienting match for the horns and hand-claps on “The Words That Maketh Murder” rather than the “soldiers fall[ing] like lumps of meat” of Harvey’s lyrics. Murphy applies the bright, shuffling opening of “Battleship Hill”, Harvey’s recounting of the Gallipoli Campaign, not to scenes of warfare, but to elderly Bingo players. The concluding line “Cruel nature has won again” doesn’t score an overgrown graveyard or ivy-covered ruins, but a series of determined faces, each younger than the last. The juxtaposition works on an intuitive level—nature may be cruel, but the English are a tenacious people—while not distracting as a direct lyrical match would.

When Murphy directly references Harvey’s lyrics, the results are less consistent. Certainly, it only adds gravity to “In the Dark Places” when Murphy moves from the bell ringers of London’s church of St. Magnus the Martyr to pre-9/11 shots of combat in Kabul that obliquely reflect the song’s fighters in waiting. But given Murphy’s creative approach there and elsewhere, it’s disappointing when the “Bitter Branches” clip leans so heavily on shots of trees, and when “All and Everyone”—otherwise one of the standout videos of the set—goes literal on the line “we advance in the sun”. The fact that Murphy often accumulated footage without specific plans also leads to some strange lapses in tone. Clips of fish and a woman with a lap full of puppies may break up a fairly steady stream of urban and pastoral images, but they come off as if Murphy’s trying to cram in as many of his travel videos as possible.

Those seeking shots of Harvey in action will be largely disappointed. She and her bandmates do appear throughout, with the studio versions of the songs occasionally making way for brief live snippets, but Murphy’s films don’t strive for music video orthodoxy—England, not Polly Jean Harvey, is the star here. Not counting a bonus solo take on “England”, the only complete live performance is a lovely and stark, vocal-only reading of “The Colour of the Earth”, which precedes Murphy’s film for the studio version.

More often than not, however, the clips work on their own terms. Standout images like the red roses placed on a chain on a jetty wall and a boat slowly moving out of frame in “All and Everyone” emphasize the power of a song that initially struck me as an atmospheric placeholder between “The Words That Maketh Murder” and “On Battleship Hill”. “Written on the Forehead”, already an album highlight, is properly served with Harvey’s lyrics recited in Arabic and accompanied by Murphy’s photos from wars overseas.

All of the videos (aside from the bonus “England” performance) are available for free on Harvey’s website, so consider this less a recommendation for the DVD than for the individual films, themselves. Perhaps not ideal for a single sitting due to the sheer number of images that Murphy includes (all beautifully shot, incidentally), but these are all well worth watching.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/153 ... us-murphy/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:40 pm 

http://www.uncut.co.uk/pj-harvey-let-en ... phy-review

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake: 12 Short Films By Seamus Murphy

On the generally acclaimed Let England Shake, Harvey gave her music a bony, volkish edge, flaying it back to strummed autoharp, electric guitar and crude drums, mongrelising it with awkwardy intrusive sampling of Middle Eastern singers, dub interjections and huntsmen’s horns. Seamus Murphy’s cinematography complements this approach perfectly: not storyboarded, but collaged from various journeys around the island made during 2011, from the remotest hedgerows to the heart of London. In doing so he innately understands Let England Shake’s problematic elixir of melancholic poetics, progressive patriotism and anti-war critique, using a visual language that speaks of England from the ground up.

Harvey reportedly saw Murphy’s exhibition of war photographs, A Darkness Visible: Afghanistan, and commissioned him as a result. “I never wanted to interpret the album,” Murphy has commented, “but to capture something of its mood and force.” His films, made on lone trips, are largely in the mode of a travelogue, their photo-gallery approach recalling at times the British Transport Films of the late 1950s and 60s, or the static landscape framing of Patrick Keiller’s Robinson In Space. England can be, as he reminds us, “a gratifyingly odd place”.

Harvey, who has held a tight rein on her visual representation throughout her career, allows Murphy frank and up-close access. He films her alone in her Dorset house, shuffling through a ring binder of lyrics and rehearsing her songs with a guitar, autoharp and playback tapes. She fluffs a line with an “oh bugger” and lets slip shy, slightly embarrassed smiles after the tracks have finished. It’s a very human portrait of an artist often represented via distancing techniques.

But the films mostly consist of arrays of landscape photography. Murphy frames the ‘hunt’ aspect of “The Glorious Land” as a fast tracking shot of blurred treetops. “All And Everyone” ends with a gloriously desolate shot of a motorboat, tiny against the pewter sea, chugging away from Chesil Beach, just a triangle of pebbles in the bottom corner of the screen. It’s an apt and arresting image entirely suited to a record that has so much to do with England’s separateness from its neighbours.

Intercut with the landscapes are plenty of people: chance encounters and faces from across the spectrum of society. Several videos feature scenes of soldiers and mourners at Wootton Bassett, the conduit for Britain’s war dead. Heavy Metal fans and video gamers appear in “The Words That Maketh Murder”. In “England”, an archer watches his arrow’s dying fall and the camera tracks around a pub’s crooked picture frames containing the 1966 World Cup squad and other past English glories. Each track is prefaced by a member of the public reading out a section of the song’s lyrics. Best of these is a car mechanic whose running commentary on the car he’s fixing serves as an epitaph to the nation itself, as represented in these films: “She’ll soldier on, the good old girl. The old ones are the good ones.”

Harvey’s group – Mick Harvey, John Parish and Jean-Marc Butty – crop up in footage taken at St Peter’s Church in the village of Eype, near Harvey’s home, where the album was recorded and where she played an intimate launch party. “The Colour Of The Earth” is a real treat: the quartet huddles against the cold on the lane outside, performing the song a cappella, stomping out the rhythms and harmonising, like a modern-day Watersons in denim and leather. We’re left with a bonus solo version of “England”, just Polly facing the sea outside her window, vocally battling against Said El Kurdi’s ululations, telling how “England leaves a sadness”. It leaves you with an arresting and enchanting image of quiet resistance and creative determination.

Rob Young

Rating: 8 / 10

http://www.uncut.co.uk/pj-harvey-let-en ... phy-review

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm 

mickeyskippycat wrote:
And that is the extra video on the DVD, the raw and up close, solo acoustic version of "England", I've not seen any mention of it anywhere here on the forum.

I feel it's the best ever song about England, and this version is so very "real", I just love it.

Although I was still okay with it, England was my least favorite song on the album until I saw that video. I have a whole new appreciation for that song now.

That version is absolutely incredible.

https://www.last.fm/user/xBrokenBunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:20 pm 

I haven't read all of this, but I think it is what you call a rave review!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54251/le ... us-murphy/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:31 pm 

http://www.streetnortheast.com/movies/d ... and-shake/

PJ Harvey – Let England Shake (Island DVD)

COMPANIION piece to Harvey’s acclaimed Let England Shake album features short films by war photographer Seamus Murphy that complement the music perfectly.

Murphy understands Let England Shake’s problematic mix of melancholic poetics, progressive patriotism and anti-war critique, using a visual language that speaks of England from the ground up.

His films are largely in the mode of a travelogue, their photo-gallery approach recalling at times the British Transport Films of the late 1950s and 60s.

Several films feature scenes of soldiers and mourners at Wootton Bassett, the conduit for Britain’s war dead.

In “England”, an archer watches his arrow’s dying fall and the camera tracks around a pub’s crooked picture frames containing the 1966 World Cup squad and other past English glories.

Each track is prefaced by a member of the public reading out a section of the song’s lyrics. A visual treat.

http://www.streetnortheast.com/movies/d ... and-shake/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 am 

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdail ... .html#more

MARCH 19, 2012
SHAKING ENGLAND

by Hasan Altaf

Let England Shake (2011), the eighth album by the English singer PJ Harvey, was by itself already high concept: In the music industry in the twenty-first century, releasing an album that focuses so explicitly on history - on war, on England, on England and its wars - seems like a particularly dangerous gamble. Even for Harvey herself, much about the album was different from her previous work, including the instrument of choice (autoharp), the singing voice, and even the writing process - the lyrics were written and finalized before she began to write any music at all.

The only thing left to do with such an unconventional album might be to keep going along the same route, to heighten the high concept. Instead of filming traditional music videos, Harvey asked the British war photographer Seamus Murphy, whose photographs from Afghanistan she had admired, to make a few short films for some of the songs on the album. The end result of that process is a DVD, also titled Let England Shake, that collects all twelve of these films as a sort of film on its own.

The songs on the album work in part by not sonic but cognitive dissonance, by contrast: The lyrics are generally somber, focused as they are on war and violence and the weight of history (from the title song: "Let England shake/weighted down with silent dead… England's dancing days are done"; from "In the Dark Places": "Passed through the damned mountains/went hellwards/and some of us returned/and some of us did not") and the music is completely the opposite. If you ignore the words, these could be cheerful folk songs. The song "The Colour of the Earth," in particular, sounds likes something children might sing around the fire at a summer camp in dystopia.

Murphy's films work in the same way, resisting interpretation of the songs for what he describes as a sort of "road journey." We see disconnected shots of England - a Punch and Judy show, traffic, nature, visitors at a museum, beaches, mixed in occasionally with what looks like archival footage and some of Murphy's photographs from combat zones. The lyrics provide the weight, the music the levity; the films provide calm, not neutrality or even necessarily objectivity, but just a gaze - the effect is something like looking through a travel guide, or the photographs of a family you'll never know. Sometimes the film echoes the songs (the video for the song "Bitter Branches" opens with shots from below of bare branches against the sky) but mostly they do not. In "The Words that Maketh Murder," for example, we see what appear to be elderly couples taking a class in ballroom dance. The songs on the album are very much an interaction with history, with the past and future of England, and Murphy's films give us a glimpse of its present.

The most unique thing about this collaboration is perhaps what it demands of the listener. I can't remember the last time I sat and listened to an album, an entire record, all the way through, in order - it's so easy now to shuffle, to go from reggaetón to 1970s punk to qawwali and Top 40, to listen to a song here and a song there rather than one coherent, fully conceived piece. There's nothing wrong with this, of course, but it's a different experience. Let England Shake is an album that really wants to be listened to all at once, from its first song to its last, and Murphy's collaboration reinforces that, asking the listener not just to listen and watch but also to reflect, to hold for a moment these three pieces of time together and consider what they might mean, not just for England but for the rest of us as well.

Posted by Hasan Altaf at 12:15 AM |

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdail ... .html#more

Mark Steel