It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 am 

William DuVall(Comes With The Fall, Alice In Chains): Lists One Line as a song he likes(Metro 2009)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:30 pm 

Tom Cowan of The Horrors:

"It's the first time we've been to the Nme Awards, and the first time we've won so we've struck lucky. We were pretty confused when our name was read out because we were up against PJ Harvey.

"I wanted her to win, not us, as her record Let England Shake is so good. It's better than our album Skying, so it's silly that we've won."

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 pm 

^ Awww, that's very nice. Correct!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 pm 

Laura Marling: "PJ Harvey set a path and a standard that I find very interesting, and she’s great – well actually, I haven’t gotten that far into her music,” Marling admits. “That’s just because I haven’t got around to it yet. And she’s the kind of artist where you have to buy them all, you can’t just try one – so I’m working on that,” she laughs. “Women singer-songwriters get bracketed into a genre; it happens all the time, and I’m really glad that there are stand-out people like PJ Harvey and, to some extent, people like BjЪrk who are doing interesting things – you can’t put them in a bracket with straight-down-the-line pop artists because they’re just doing something more exciting.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:31 pm 

Orbital: Played Down By The Water as part of their Christmas mix on BB6

Bonnie Raitt: "Raitt performs, talks about the allure of rock 'n' roll and name-drops young female up-and-comers such as Liz Phair and PJ Harvey." (March 95)

Michael Gira(Swans): ""These days, music is so banal. There's people who sing from the pit of their stomach -- PJ Harvey for instance -- but just a few. Most everybody else couches their overdrive guitar and lyrics in irony."

Gavin Friday(Virgin Prunes): ""As the century ends, you have people like Michael Stipe saying, 'I'm not heterosexual, not homosexual: I'm sexual'. And women like PJ Harvey are grabbing their masculinity by the bollix, so the whole notion of gender and sexual definition is blurred, which is how I've always argued it should be," Gavin reflects."

Diane Christensen & Steve Dawson(Stump The Host, Dolly Varden): ""We were already listening to other stuff."-That stuff included PJ Harvey, who struck a happy nerve in Christiansen not only because of her brutal honesty and hard, moody sound, but also because of her refusal to compromise." (Sep 95)

G.Love(G. Love & The Special Sauce): ``Jon Spencer's an incredible performer, and PJ Harvey's also incredible, but they don't play blues, man. That's punk rock,'' Love says. ``Really, they were influenced by Led Zeppelin, and Led Zeppelin's a blues cover band."

Andy McGee(Laughing Apple, Biff Bang Pow, Founder of creation records): "Apart from PJ Harvey, the rest suck. I love PJ's records, she's an excellent writer." (in reaction to hearing the brit award nominees Feb 01)

Alilson Goldfrapp: "Although pleased to be nominated, they don't expect to win. "It's nice just to be acknowledged, but neither of us have any illusions, God no. PJ Harvey, Super Furry Animals and Radiohead are really good, so we won't win." (Mercury Awards Sep 01)

Roddy Woomble(Idlewild): "Glastonbury 1992 was a revelation. "It was like a big party. I went with my sister and her friends and they were much more eclectic at that time - I was just out of my heavy metal phase and into staple bands like The Smiths. I remember seeing Grant Lee Buffalo, Lou Reed and PJ Harvey; that was the kind of music I was introduced to."

Emma Pollok(The Delgados):"What is on your car stereo?"- The new PJ Harvey album."(Sep 04)

Mark Stoermer(The Killers): ""I remember our first T in the Park. I got to watch PJ Harvey from the side of the stage and am a huge fan of hers. It was one of the first festivals I've ever been to so it was really exciting."

Ross Phillips(Hard-Fi): ""At the moment I'm listening to the new PJ Harvey album. I quite like the Klaxons album - that's quite interesting." (Dec 07)

Tom Hingley(Inspiral Carpets): "I like Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, PJ Harvey and The White Stripes and I listen to a lot of old stuff like The Doors."

Kaki King: ""PJ Harvey is an incredible guitar player, but because she's such a phenomenal songwriter, that's what she's known for."

Kathy Acker(Punk poet, Novelist): "For the last month I've been obsessing about PJ Harvey."(Artforum international, Vol 33, 95)

Andy Summers(The Police): "Even now he is a fan of new artists such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and PJ Harvey. "

Bjork: "Bjork's favorite women include the president of Iceland and singer PJ Harvey" (How cute!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:39 am 

Joey Ramone: ""One person who really has it is P.J. Harvey. She just radiates intensity. That's being genuine. It's something you don't conjure up. It's within herself."(Mar 94)

Matthew Shipp(Avante jazz musician): "Shipp, who at one point during our conversation interrupted himself when a song on the radio caught his ear. It was something from Uh Huh Her, the latest CD by PJ Harvey. "I love her," Shipp said."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:05 am 

Did a quick search and didn't see these listed.

Death Cab for Cutie's playlists (iTunes)

Jason McGerr's Picks:
4. "You Said Something" by PJ Harvey: "I've followed PJ since her first record, Dry. This song goes well with the rain in Manhattan."

Nick Harmer's Picks:
7. "Rid of Me" by PJ Harvey: "PJ Harvey will eat all of us for dinner. You turn this song up to hear all the little things and then your stereo explodes."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:29 am 

Gene Simmons: ""You don't have to just point to (Beck's) `Odelay' and Smashing Pumpkins' `Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness' -- two recent examples, but Live (the band) records ... terrific. P.J. Harvey, very good written stuff."

Kim Gordon: "''It's fun . . . to be able to play outdoors at big festivals,'' Gordon says. ''I was really disappointed it didn't work out. It would have been nice to play with PJ,'' she adds, referring to PJ Harvey, who was one of the festival headliners, along with Morrissey, Modest Mouse and Le Tigre, ''and just to do a different sort of tour and to play to more people. It would have also been a fun tour for our daughter, Coco, to be on.''

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:19 am 

Isobell Campbell(Belle & Sebastian): "There are so many people I’d like to sing with – Polly Harvey, Marianne Faithful. But I wouldn’t know how to even begin to approach people like that"

Paul Hartnoll(Orbital): "Paul s record purchases this morning include the Dancer in the Dark soundtrack, PJ Harvey s Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea and Chris Morris Blue Jam."

Leila Moss(Duke Spirit): "Bjork and PJ Harvey were very important to me as I was fostering my identity. They represented courageousness, articulation and beauty and helped me to think about exploring ideas about female sexuality in a very dignified and yet rapacious way."

Brian Ritchie(Violent Femmes): "''She's consistently pushing herself into new directions, and that's what I respect because it's so easy in the world of rock to keep repeating yourself; I know this from my own personal experience. That's what happened with the Femmes, even though we did a lot of different things, we did always revert to what people wanted.''

Lykke Li: "I listen to listen to PJ Harvey, Beach House, Fever Ray, the cool girls."

Loz(Kingmaker): "One person who's paid the three-piece much praise is Kingmaker's Loz"

Vernon Reid(Living Colour): "Among her audience at the academy was Vernon Reid"

Dave Gedge(The Wedding Present): "He raves about upstarts PJ Harvey and Stereolab – "I like their attitude, it reminds me of us when we started"

Bret Anderson(Suede): "It's doubtless futile and foolish to hope for ‘innocence’ from rock this late in the day, but, to me, the only really driven artists seem to be those who appear to have never picked up a music paper in their life, like the Aphex Twin or Polly Harvey."

Shawn Colvin: ""I ENVY edgy babes like Sheryl, Tori, Polly Jean," says Shawn Colvin, though she seems like a nice girl. "I haven't been embraced by the alternative crowd, not so far. But that's where I see my music."

Shawn Colvin: "No, because that’s just in her. She can do that, and I can’t. She’s got this great monstrous thing in her, and that’s just not the kind of artist I am. If I were to be raw it would be in the ways you’ve probably already seen."

Robert Plant: "I like to enquire all the time: what's that? That's Portishead. What's that? That's the new Massive Attack. Or the 4-Track Demos by P.J. Harvey or whatever. There's loads of stuff around, and if you're at all inventive, or even jackdaws as we are, you can learn a lot and steal a lot... "

Warren Zevon: "For someone to be playing that way, it's like she's playing some kind of Bartok shit with that trio. And I thought that was magnificent. That fulfilled my highest ideas of what these young people are doing. It's kind of scary. "

David Bowie: "But perhaps my perception is European-based, and over there, it has really become a stylistic free-for-all, which I find incredibly exciting, especially with bands like Portishead and Tricky and PJ Harvey – artists who move around virtually anywhere they want. It feels like they're my children [laughs]."

Thom Yorke: "'What are your touchstone songs? The ones that do it for you every time?" "I'll Wear It Proudly', Elvis Costello; 'Fall On Me' R.E.M.; 'Dress', PJ Harvey. On and on..."

Thom Yorke: "Who are the singers you look out for?" "Scott Walker, Michael Stipe and Elvis Costello. He'll go for singing in a completely neutral detached way to being really violent and you can't tell if he's into it and then he is into it and it's really alarming. PJ Harvey's the same. She'll deliver a song and then switch."

Thom Yorke: "Like the young Julian Cope before him, Thom Yorke is a very British pop star. Despite the grand claims he makes both for his band and their superiority to most of the current opposition (he cites Polly Harvey and The Auteurs as Britain's only potential pop saviours" (93)

Don Waller(Imperial Dogs): "I like this new band out of Bristol,England called the Heavy, the early TV On The Radio records, the White Stripes, the Raconteurs 'Steady As She Goes,' Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy,' Wilco (I think the new band with Nels Cline on board is their best lineup yet), the Flaming Lips, Bettye LaVette, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, the Fountains Of Wayne, DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist, Dengue Fever, Mark Lanegan, Greg Dulli, PJ Harvey (I'm a big fan, but not of all of her albums)."

Liz Phair: ""Think about it," she continues. "Why did Janet Jackson come up with one? Why did PJ Harvey come up with one? Why is everyone topless?!! Why these women, who are not, like, original sex-hawking babes in Hollywood? These are intelligent women, who know what they're doing and who know the difference between exploitation and freedom. Think about it. I would like to think that it harkens to something. It's a vote."

Dave Gregory(XTC): "Polly Harvey, she's very good, she's definitely got a style."

Morrissey: "Morrissey enquired about his opening act "Did you enjoy PJ Harvey? (crowd: yes!) I did... Do you enjoy life? (crowd: yes!) I don't!". Of course the subject of American politics came up and Morrissey expressed his disappointment in the results. Before "Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference", he said "We are horrified about the results of the elections in the Divided States of America" and shortly after he added "Say whatever you want, we may be all blown over soon"."

Scout Niblett: ""Harvey’s first few albums are great, and they’ve definitely been an influence."

Peaches: "Her favourite of Harvey's records is 4-track demos"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:30 am 

Mark Owen(Take That): "Would you like to record a duet with a female singer? If so, who?" "It's not something that I have sleepless nights about but there are some female singers that I admire a lot. I love Alanis Morissette, Pink, Nelly Furtado but if I could choose anybody I would choose PJ Harvey."

Justine Frischmann: "She's really great. Goddess"

Sneaker Pimps: "We as a band have many influences, mine are PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth, and Chris really likes David Silvian, and Liam really likes Kraftwerk and like that. But we all cross over."

Scott Weiland(Stone Temple Pilots): "Speaking of Lollapalooza, many people want to know who are your
favorite female artists." "I would have to say, at the moment, my favorite is probably PJ
Harvey."

Nik Kershaw(80's pop star): "Who do you like to listen to, when you're not making your own music?" "Radiohead, Coldplay, PJ Harvey, Doves, Lonnie Donegan, Simon and Garfunkel, old David Bowie, Alice Cooper - I could go on forever!"

Colin Greenwood: "The band has also rubbed elbows with the newly canonized PJ Harvey, opening up for them in New York and Los Angeles, which Greenwood says was a real honor. "She's really great," he enthuses like a fan-boy. "

John Taylor(Duran Duran): "Who are some of the female artists you'd duet with if asked?" "PJ Harvey"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:23 am 

Eric Avery(Jane's Addiction): "Funny you mention PJ. First three albums are as good as pop music gets for me. Haven’t been as into her later work. But I was just listening to “Uh Uh Her” while working out two days ago. I liked it much more than I remembered. I think I judged her work really critically because my expectations of her are so high. Happens with film makers as well."

Leslie Rankine(Silverfish, Ruby): "What do you think about PJ Harvey's new glam image?" "Well, I think she's really funny doing that Drag Queen thing. PJ doesn't really suit looking glamorous, she ends up looking really gaudy and frightening. I mean, she's still a really sexy woman, but she's a blues singer from that line of singers like Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, she doesn't need to tart herself up."

Melora Creager(Rasputina): "Is it safe to assume that you're not a fan of PJ Harvey, Bjork, Vincent Gallo, or Matthew Barney [all of whom are delightfully skewered on the Cabin Fever! track titled, not surprisingly, "PJ + Vincent & Matthew + Bjork"]?"
"I think it's a love-hate relationship with each of those people. [laughs] I'm interested in them, and they have a lot of good work, but I'm jealous of their creative success, as well. Typical romantic love!"

Patrick Wolf: "PJ Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise [Is This Desire?, 1998]- Joni and PJ have also been great inspirations musically. “Is This Desire” really gave me confidence to use my passion for the dark English winters and Thomas Hardy wild West country storylines and communicate that in song. “…Desire” is a real masterpiece, a very rare British one too."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:04 pm 

Richie Egan of Jape (comment on twitter):

'PJ Harvey Let England Shake - holy moly - one of the best records i've ever heard'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm 

Perfume Genius (aka Mike Hadreas):

'PJ Harvey was one of my main ladies while I was growing up. Piano isn’t the instrument that she uses all of the time so a lot of what she plays [on White Chalk] doesn’t sound quite right or make sense; she doesn’t play straight chords. I think it’s beautiful when songs don’t go where I think they will.'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 pm 

Not a musician, but Polly's favourite comedian. Dylan Moran:

'Some of his favorite authors are Don DeLillo, S.J. Perelman, and J.B. Morton. Musical influences include PJ Harvey and The Velvet Underground, while favorite television shows include Frasier and The Office.'

http://www.shaunofthedead.com/crew/dylan-moran/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:59 pm 

Elephant Stone

What's On Your Playlist

Each band member contributed titles to this list of songs they are listening to these days:

1. Bad Vibrations The Black Angels

2. Dead Mantra Dead Skeletons

3. Ballad of a Thin Man Bob Dylan

4. London Is the Reason Gallows

5. Brothers The War on Drugs

6. The Words That Maketh Murder PJ Harvey

7. Black and White The dB's

8. Ain't That Enough Teenage Fanclub

9. Shadows Juan Trip'

10. Kalyani Come Down Joe Bird and the Field Hippies

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/What+you ... z1p2KZO0Tj

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/tod ... story.html

Mark Steel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 44  Next