It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:27 pm 

Thanks for the info. I can definitely hear similarities between certain songs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:46 am 

The 'Is This Desire - Demos' cover seems to have leaked. I believe the two photos are the ones from the "Angelene" video. If anybody wants to see it's on the fnac website. Might be announced tomorrow then?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:45 am 

Something strange has happened with Is This Desire?

I had been following the reissue sales very closely (3pm Thursday) so that I could get an ITD? signed copy as the album means so much to me and was there refreshing at the time of expected sale but nothing happened. I've been checking at 3pm every day since too.

So Polly's store hasn't updated with any of the stock (It's not even showing the TBYML demos anymore let alone Louse Point) and I'm concerned that FNAC and other retailers are receiving the information for the ITD? reissue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:46 am 

I haven't bought the Rid Of Me and 4-Track Demos vinyl reissues yet (the prices are ridiculous over here, about €30 each!).

Question: How do the downloads compare to the original cd-masters?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:52 am 

I’m hoping that it’s announced this week!

That’s not the image I was imagining, I was thinking it maybe the cd cover of Angelene, back of the car one. It’s released on the 23rd, but DHALP has been pushed back until November I think now....

With regard to the audio quality, I think there’s a discussion going on the Steve Hoffman forums about that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:54 am 

Also, are the remasters being released to Apple Music?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:39 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 pm 

Love that cover. These are the demos I'm most excited about. I can't wait to hear what the songs sounded like before all the production and added instrumentation. I wonder if she always had the electronic elements in mind for these songs or if that was put on when they were recording the album. It's a shame we won't be getting the B-sides because this batch has always been my favorite when I look at them as a collection or an album on their own.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:41 am 

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
Love that cover. These are the demos I'm most excited about. I can't wait to hear what the songs sounded like before all the production and added instrumentation. I wonder if she always had the electronic elements in mind for these songs or if that was put on when they were recording the album. It's a shame we won't be getting the B-sides because this batch has always been my favorite when I look at them as a collection or an album on their own.

I agree! With most of the other demos (except maybe Oh My Lover and Victory on Dry) you can see that she had usually 90% or more of the sound perfected in the demo. I'm very curious to hear if that will be the case on songs with very complicated production like The Wind or No Girl So Sweet*. Also on Stories where I imagine the demos will be much darker than their final versions.

* I am really hoping we will get an acoustic downtempo version of this one like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDMl9Le_no

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:24 pm 

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
Love that cover. These are the demos I'm most excited about. I can't wait to hear what the songs sounded like before all the production and added instrumentation. I wonder if she always had the electronic elements in mind for these songs or if that was put on when they were recording the album. .....

My recollection is that ITD? was among, if not the most, reworked albums of her career in terms of changing arrangements, instrumentation, etc.

It was a huge struggle, in part because she wasn't in the best of places, emotionally, at the time.

Last edited by Yes_No_Maybe_So on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:31 pm 

Someone in the youtube comment section for the Send His Love To Me video made a matter-of-fact comment about how, "glad they were remastering all of the videos".

Did I miss something, is that part of the plan with all these reissues?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 pm 

Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
Someone in the youtube comment section for the Send His Love To Me video made a matter-of-fact comment about how, "glad they were remastering all of the videos".

Did I miss something, is that part of the plan with all these reissues?

The website states that there's a 'restored HD' version of the 'Man-Size' video on Youtube and on the Instagram snippet of the '50ft Queenie' video Polly says 'we are now in the process of upgrading these early videos to look as they did when we first made them'. Presumably that will just mean the Dry and Rid of Me videos which were all done for pennies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:17 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
The website states that there's a 'restored HD' version of the 'Man-Size' video on Youtube and on the Instagram snippet of the '50ft Queenie' video Polly says 'we are now in the process of upgrading these early videos to look as they did when we first made them'. Presumably that will just mean the Dry and Rid of Me videos which were all done for pennies.

I’m pretty sure it means all the videos that were uploaded to YouTube before “HD” became the standard. Nothing to do with the production values of the videos—after all, a restoration + reupload is not going to change the source material, it’s just going to render it at a higher video resolution, so that finer details like film grain will be more apparent.

For instance “This Is Love” looks to be shot on the same film grade as “Man-Size”. But it is in dire need of a rescan + re-upload on YouTube, as the one that’s on there currently is in the wrong aspect ratio (it’s stretched to fill a 16:9 screen—ghastly!) and it ends before the video is actually finished.

It’s the same concept as taking a movie that was shot on 35mm but only released on VHS for the home video market, and then doing perhaps a restoration of the original camera negative followed by a new scan of the restored film at the highest resolution (usually 1080p or 4K), and then releasing that on blu ray or a quality streaming service.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:22 pm 

Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:

My recollection is that ITD? was among, if not the most, reworked albums of her career in terms of changing arrangements, instrumentation, etc.

I would be most interested in electric-guitar-and-voice demos of those songs, as the “electronic”/distorted synth arrangements on the finished album leave me utterly cold. Remains to be seen if I would actually like any of the songs at all, but it might at least make for a bearable listen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
after all, a restoration + reupload is not going to change the source material, it’s just going to render it at a higher video resolution, so that finer details like film grain will be more apparent.

Of course, sorry, that was a silly thing to say.

BobSimms wrote:
it might at least make for a bearable listen

Before I joined the forum I had no idea ITD? divided people so much, but of course you're far from the only person to feel the same way. I was intrigued when Dr Dark called attention to the live version of 'Joy' as it sounds so completely different from the album (it would have to), but I find the electronic version is one of the most exciting things I've ever heard. In fact I might have it on again while I'm doing the washing up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next