It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 pm 

To anyone who is a PJ Harvey fan.

Does anyone believe that PJ Harvey has retired from touring? In my honest opinion I believe she has. Now that she is still being creative in other ways like scoring musicals and writing music for British television. I need some input here, please.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:00 pm 

Well, she did say in the BBC interview last year (around All About Eve release) that she felt she had moved to a different phase of her career now. IMHO The Hope Six tour seemed a bit like a grand finale, almost like a victory lap - even though the album itself probably won't go down in history as one of PJ's greatest pieces of work, it was still her first #1 in the UK, and over a year and a half she played over 100 highly acclaimed shows on five continents with a 10-piece band. I'm also pretty sure the tour brought in some considerable income for her and given her status as a 90s alt rock legend she simply doesn't have to hit the road every year or two, as many indie/non-mainstream musicians need to do to make ends meet.

Then again, she also said "never say never". I don't think she'll definitely stop performing live but I also doubt she'll do it that extensively ever again. Maybe the White Chalk tour model - a performance here and there every now and again - is the way to go? You can't really do it with a big band but maybe that's why shee needed to get it out of her system with THSDP.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am 

TheNightingale wrote:
Well, she did say in the BBC interview last year (around All About Eve release) that she felt she had moved to a different phase of her career now. IMHO The Hope Six tour seemed a bit like a grand finale, almost like a victory lap - even though the album itself probably won't go down in history as one of PJ's greatest pieces of work, it was still her first #1 in the UK, and over a year and a half she played over 100 highly acclaimed shows on five continents with a 10-piece band. I'm also pretty sure the tour brought in some considerable income for her and given her status as a 90s alt rock legend she simply doesn't have to hit the road every year or two, as many indie/non-mainstream musicians need to do to make ends meet.

Then again, she also said "never say never". I don't think she'll definitely stop performing live but I also doubt she'll do it that extensively ever again. Maybe the White Chalk tour model - a performance here and there every now and again - is the way to go? You can't really do it with a big band but maybe that's why shee needed to get it out of her system with THSDP.

I totally agree with you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am 

PJ is still young and her career and repertoire would justify future concerts and, of course, I don't think she wants to stop making records as well. Personally I didn't like much her last tours, I prefer to see PJ less theatricalized on stage, I'd really enjoy if she did a tour like she did in 2003, as a trio or alone, just playing her best tunes, she doesn't need more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm 

I think certainly, at least for the time being. We spoke last year about the winding-up of the company she's used to channel income from touring specifically, which would be either because there's somewhere else for it to go or because she doesn't envisage that being a significant income stream for the foreseeable future. Note that this doesn't mean giving up music-making, only performing it in that way, which she's always had a conflicted relationship with. It's also interesting that it also coincided with selling the flat in Los Angeles - disposing of things which don't seem as important as they once did, maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
It's also interesting that it also coincided with selling the flat in Los Angeles - disposing of things which don't seem as important as they once did, maybe.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. She's based in London now, isn't she? I wonder if she still has that house in Dorset (the one from the White Chalk EPK and Let England Shake videos). I assume she doesn't sleep on the couch while visiting her family. :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 pm 

bad_whore wrote:
PJ is still young and her career and repertoire would justify future concerts and, of course, I don't think she wants to stop making records as well. Personally I didn't like much her last tours, I prefer to see PJ less theatricalized on stage, I'd really enjoy if she did a tour like she did in 2003, as a trio or alone, just playing her best tunes, she doesn't need more.

I think it's unlikely we'll see any solo performances. Wasn't there was at least one interview in which she said performing solo during the White Chalk era was terrifying? Maybe there's hope for a trio though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:35 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
I think certainly, at least for the time being. We spoke last year about the winding-up of the company she's used to channel income from touring specifically, which would be either because there's somewhere else for it to go or because she doesn't envisage that being a significant income stream for the foreseeable future. Note that this doesn't mean giving up music-making, only performing it in that way, which she's always had a conflicted relationship with. It's also interesting that it also coincided with selling the flat in Los Angeles - disposing of things which don't seem as important as they once did, maybe.

Somehow I thought she sold the West Hollywood condo earlier than that, but you're right, they are roughly coincident.

PJ puts West Hollywood Condo up for sale
http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=27490#p27490

Polly shutting down her touring company?
http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=27591#p27591

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:18 pm 

I also think that PJ Harvey does not need her image being sold to the world anymore. She is an artist after all. That is what all she wanted to be. My two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:03 am 

TheNightingale wrote:
I wonder if she still has that house in Dorset

The house doesn't seem to have been sold, certainly. Thinking that Polly had abandoned Dorset would shake the foundations of my world! There's an ancient prophecy in the Annals of St Aldhelm or something that if ever she leaves Dorset for good, Sherborne Abbey will fall down, lightning will strike County Hall in Dorchester, and a cow will make its way into the ruins of Corfe Castle to give birth to a two-headed calf. Or perhaps I'm getting muddled.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:32 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:
I wonder if she still has that house in Dorset

The house doesn't seem to have been sold, certainly. Thinking that Polly had abandoned Dorset would shake the foundations of my world! There's an ancient prophecy in the Annals of St Aldhelm or something that if ever she leaves Dorset for good, Sherborne Abbey will fall down, lightning will strike County Hall in Dorchester, and a cow will make its way into the ruins of Corfe Castle to give birth to a two-headed calf. Or perhaps I'm getting muddled.

:laugh:

Well, her Dorset writing/piano room is photographed in the All About Eve OST artwork, so I suppose she hasn't left the place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:01 pm 

I also wanted to add on this thread that Polly Jean Harvey is fifty-one years old now. She will be fifty-two in October. I think PJ Harvey, the rock star, did what she set out to do as far as performing is concerned. Polly Jean Harvey, the person, will always be creating something even if the whole world never hears it. My two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:17 pm 

Scuttlescub_51 wrote:
I also wanted to add on this thread that Polly Jean Harvey is fifty-one years old now. She will be fifty-two in October. I think PJ Harvey, the rock star, did what she set out to do as far as performing is concerned. Polly Jean Harvey, the person, will always be creating something even if the whole world never hears it. My two cents.

I wonder if there will be more poetry. I last saw her doing poetry readings in London 2/3 years back, and then there were the recent Glastonbury bits. I had the feeling she had more to explore through poetry yet. Personally I'd love an "A night with PJ Harvey and the London Philharmonic Orchestra" or similar, but not anticipating it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:00 pm 

I also have to add on here while I am thinking about what I am going to say. There will be a time when Polly Jean Harvey might decide that it will be the time to call it a career. While I am glad she is happy dancing to the beat of her own drum. Polly Jean Harvey has done it on her own terms instead of everyone else's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:52 pm 

Yes, it’s been a good run. She clearly is not going to be making any new music or promoting it or touring for it. I agree, she is retired from touring and is now a full-time poet. Anyone else have any last words?