It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:26 am 

I'm impressed with the Pocket Knife demo, it surprised me a lot. I thought it would be more minimalist than the album version, but it's quite the opposite.
Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:29 am 

Please don't read the following unless you have already listened to the Uh Huh Her Demos

Spoiler! :
I just finished listening to the new collection and I enjoyed it a ton, can't wait to play it again at nauseam, BUT I have to admit I don't get how it was handled. I mean, we already noticed the absence of two demo tracks (Cat on the wall and You come through) and I figured they weren't included as the first had already been published (same goes for WTF though) while the second was maybe exactly as the album version, so there was no point. Then why there still is one track that is EXACTLY as the album version? (No title to avoid major spoiling) Why not just have the complete demos without omissions? This is some serious head-scratching for the completist in me. Whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:15 am 

bruise wrote:

Please don't read the following unless you have already listened to the Uh Huh Her Demos

Spoiler! :
I just finished listening to the new collection and I enjoyed it a ton, can't wait to play it again at nauseam, BUT I have to admit I don't get how it was handled. I mean, we already noticed the absence of two demo tracks (Cat on the wall and You come through) and I figured they weren't included as the first had already been published (same goes for WTF though) while the second was maybe exactly as the album version, so there was no point. Then why there still is one track that is EXACTLY as the album version? (No title to avoid major spoiling) Why not just have the complete demos without omissions? This is some serious head-scratching for the completist in me. Whatever.

Spoiler! :
I think the only reasonable explanation is that the tapes with the demos of You Come Through and Cat on the Wall were damaged beyond repair or lost. Which is a pity, of course, but she likes working on tape and I doubt she was digitizing all her demos back in 2003 (which she seems to do now). Physical media isn't forever; I guess it was bound to happen with a track or two in the reissue series.

I also don't think the You Come Through demo was the same as the UHH version - that's Rob Ellis's drumming, not a drum machine, right?

Regarding the track that's exactly as the album version, maybe it's a weird flex on Polly's behalf - "see? my demos are so good they end up on finished albums!" :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:50 am 

Absolutely the right decision to take the extras out of Pocket Knife IMHO!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:26 pm 

I am hoping for a surprise *new* album at the end of this - glad I'm not the only one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:07 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:

Agree, the choir effect makes it hilarious! That was totally unexpected

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:19 pm 

Has anyone seen any issues with this at all? Apparently a few people are saying that there orders are wrong, but I’m not seeing anything yet.

I ordered the signed demos lp, and have received both demos and original, but no signed print :/

I’ve emailed them but not sure if it’ll just go into the “yeh right” file

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:47 pm 

bruise wrote:
AineteEkaterini wrote:

Agree, the choir effect makes it hilarious! That was totally unexpected

I'm glad she took out these chipmunk backing vocals for the final version but didn't she sing some of them back in 2004? I vaguely remember a performance with fuck it up, fuck it up! and S-O-S, the wedding dress! which made me laugh. At the time I thought they were improvised but now we know it was the original idea for the song.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:57 am 

gaviinj wrote:
Has anyone seen any issues with this at all? Apparently a few people are saying that there orders are wrong, but I’m not seeing anything yet.

I ordered the signed demos lp, and have received both demos and original, but no signed print :/

I’ve emailed them but not sure if it’ll just go into the “yeh right” file

I have the same problem, email sent and reply is they are looking into this, hopefully this will be sorted as this was the first time I was lucky enough to get any of the signed items.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:27 am 

TheNightingale wrote:
I'm glad she took out these chipmunk backing vocals for the final version but didn't she sing some of them back in 2004? I vaguely remember a performance with fuck it up, fuck it up! and S-O-S, the wedding dress! which made me laugh. At the time I thought they were improvised but now we know it was the original idea for the song.

Yep, she did! Thought the same

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:08 pm 

The lyric print this time is "The Desperate Kingdom of Love":

Spoiler! :

(pics found on Instagram, not mine)

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 pm 

I just received my copy of UHH demos today and it didn’t come with a download card. Seems to be a widespread issue for this release, along with the signed lyric sheet being delivered to the wrong people.

But while on the topic of downloads, does anyone know where one can buy the high-resolution files of DRY and RID OF ME? Or are those files the same resolution as the ones that came with the vinyl reissues? Forgive my ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
I just received my copy of UHH demos today and it didn’t come with a download card. Seems to be a widespread issue for this release, along with the signed lyric sheet being delivered to the wrong people.

But while on the topic of downloads, does anyone know where one can buy the high-resolution files of DRY and RID OF ME? Or are those files the same resolution as the ones that came with the vinyl reissues? Forgive my ignorance.

I’m trying to see if this is widespread, have many people reported getting a lyric sheet who shouldn’t have? So far via Twitter I’ve found two people, plus my friend had the same issue of not getting the sheet they’d ordered

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:36 pm 

gaviinj wrote:
BobSimms wrote:

I’m trying to see if this is widespread, have many people reported getting a lyric sheet who shouldn’t have? So far via Twitter I’ve found two people, plus my friend had the same issue of not getting the sheet they’d ordered

I also have had the same issue of not receiving the Signed Lyric Sheet

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:24 pm 

TheNightingale wrote:
The lyric print this time is "The Desperate Kingdom of Love":

'I'll follow you in, into the well' - blimey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next