It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:03 pm 

After finding out about Sammy Hurden, the Dorset-based musician and choir leader, through her connection with PJH, I've become a partisan of her work - or at least, the little you can find, as most of it hasn't been recorded. Much of it is intensely related to the Dorset landscape. I did manage to buy a second-hand copy of her short album Jurassic Journey, which was written in 2011 to accompany a photography exhibition, and found that one track, 'Timeless', was recorded in St Catherine's Chapel at Abbotsbury. The other musicians include Abbie Lathe, who sang with Polly, Sammy Hurden and Kate Garrett in the Brilliant Birthdays choir (which we only found out about last year), and Jess Upton, the West Country jazz and folk singer whose school band some accounts say Polly also performed with.

I've done a very simple video for 'Timeless', using my photographs of the chapel, taken over many years, including a shot of people going up the hill for the St Catherine's Day service in 2018 when the hillside was decorated with a great wheel of lights, and the 'votive deposit' of prayers and mementoes that get left there (and which English Heritage, who look after the building, periodically clear away). The chapel is closed at the moment because of COVID, but if you've never been there this gives you some idea of what it's like - as well as listening to Ms Hurden's lovely music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVtPmGQQfGo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:52 pm 

That's lovely, thank you for sharing!