It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:03 am 

persongirl wrote:
(hmmm, I wonder if I'm the only one on this forum who reads japanese comics...)

trust me, you are not ;D haven't bought any manga lately, but recently read Yazawa Ai's "Paradise Kiss" all over again. I love her stuff. Such a shame that "Nana" was banned at onemanga. Now I just hope that it would be published in Poland someday :eyeroll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 am 

Why did they ban Nana? They have it here in the United States. Just curious, do you like the music of nana? Olivia who did the first ending theme song is one of my favorite musicians. I'm really into japanese music as well so that was one of the ways that I found out about nana. I'm not really into the female oriented comics as much. I highly suggest fullmetal alchemist, its really cool. Which other comics do you like?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:55 am 

Probably because it got published in United States... ~~ I love music from "Nana". Although I am more into score by Tomoki Hasegawa :) Speaking of Blast & Trapnest - I really liked "Kuroi Namida" and "Starless Night" (and this is probably the only song by Olivia that I am listening to ^^" )

I have 3 volumes of Fullmetal and I watched whole anime, so yeah, it's cool :) As well as "Death Note" - however I haven't finished it yet. As I am thinking about it right now... I haven't read any manga in a long time, lol. But I like girly mangas, so ;) "Princess Ai" is an interesting project - it's a short (3 volumes?) collaboration between Courtney Love and Yazawa Ai (who happens to be my "manga god" since ParaKiss and Nana :) ) Oh, and "Evangelion"! *.* It's a pretty genius comics. But you have probably heard about that ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:28 pm 

You need to watch fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. The original anime for it is drastically different that the manga. I'm almost done with the manga for fullmetal alchemist. You have to finish death note, its really really good. As far as nana goes I've only watched a few episodes, I'm more familiar with the music though. I have Olivia's entire discography on my ipod, and I have to say that the music she did for nana isn't my favorite by her. I do really like a little pain though, its a really beautiful song. I used to be really crazy about Naruto, but Naruto shippuden just wasn't as good as the first part of the story so I'm not really reading it anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm 

I'm reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman atm, and I'm loving it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 am 

^I love the guy. Just read his "Smoke and Mirrors" once again. Would love to read Graveyard Book <3

persongirl wrote:
You need to watch fullmetal alchemist brotherhood.

I saw few episodes, then I was without the net for a while and kind of forget about it - but I'll definitely start it again ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:43 am 

Birds of Prey, by Wilbur Smith. Seems promising this far (180 pages). Before that I read Son of the Circus by John Irving. Great book by a fantastic author.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm 

just read 'let the right one in', quite enjoyed it but i didn't really think i gained much from the book. maybe it a case of having seen the movie first and loving it that makes the extra in the book seem unnecessary. whereas in 'girl with a dragon tattoo' as much as i enjoyed the movie i missed the erika berger strand- i would like to have seen the original made for swedish t.v. series which included it. anyway now i should really make an effort to get on with reading about francesca woodman...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:45 pm 

CLBella wrote:
just read 'let the right one in', quite enjoyed it but i didn't really think i gained much from the book. maybe it a case of having seen the movie first and loving it that makes the extra in the book seem unnecessary.

I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes of the movie... Is it worth that I force myself to watch further?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 pm 

olivier101 -well i rarely think it is worth forcing oneself to do anything you are disinclined to do, i loved the movie, particularly the two main characters — but its not like Tarkovsky where maybe you need to be i the right mood- or a margherita might help- to slow down enough to enter his world— i think this is a more straightforward case of you like it or not ... what do you like to watch?
xbella

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:18 pm 

I'm asking because there are a few cases where I had given up watching a movie in the middle of it, but based on friends advice I watched on and I didn't regret it. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" comes to mind, for example...
I usually like to watch thrillers, fantastic or sci-fi movies, but I have a soft spot for so-called "mindfuck" movies like "Donnie Darko" or "Butterfly Effect".

Back to "let the right one in", maybe I should read the book first. Or just read the book.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:25 pm 

i would vote for the film rather than the book, if nothing else it is fewer hours out of your life if you don't like it! xbella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 pm 

Has anyone read 'Outer Dark' by Cormac McCarthy, i've read others of his, loved the border trilogy, found 'the road' a bit too obviously written for filmingbut this is a much older book - i know Mark Linkous (whose birthday it will be tomorrow, ) said it gave him chills but i don't know anyone personally who has read it.
xbella

Also reading 'the hare with the amber eyes' edmund de waal and borges short stories-Funes-the memorious, such a clever story- and just received Kristin Hersch's new album which is released as a book

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 am 

Just read "waiter rant" great book! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:03 pm 

I started The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters yesterday and it's made me cry already :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next