It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:56 pm 

I don't know if this is the best place to get a thread like this going but I thought it would be interesting all the same.

Personally, I am working my way through Neil Gaiman's graphic novel series 'The Sandman':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_%28DC_Comics/Vertigo%29

I'm on volume 4 and I'm quite satisfied with how its panning out. Its sort of good vs evil but in a very dark and visually stunning format. It's fantasy really which I think if done well can be brilliant. Here's an example of the artwork:

Apart from that I've just finished volume 7 of ''The Preacher'', another graphic novel series by Garth Ennis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_comic

Artwork:

I'm trying to start properly reading literary novels too as I think I am missing out on some classic fantasy/sci-fi. The last book I loved from front to back ,without just not being drawn into it and putting to one side for ever :blush: , has been Philip Pullman's: The Northern Lights. I lost interest with the ''Subtle Knife'' sequel though :( Any recommendations from you lovely people?

I've been given ''The Glass Books Of The Dream Eaters'' by G.W. Dahlquist but that is proving to be quite a difficult read from the get go. Maybe I just need to stick at these things more than I do!

Ah well :???:

Nice days to everyone :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

I think this belongs in general talk rather than the forum devoted to film. Close call though! :)

I really enjoyed the whole Northern Lights series, I'm at a loss to think of something I've really enjoyed reading recently. But that's because I should read more!

I just got new glasses, maybe that will help. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 am 

Currently reading The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis. I'm glad it's not a Christian-y since I'm not, but it's extremely insightful. Really makes sense of a lot of things. Absolutely recommended.

About to start Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 am 

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion (2nd time round)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:16 pm 

Cool cool. My friend read the God Delusion too. Said it was rather good. I might give that a go in a while too

Is the PJ book worth checking out? Siren Rising I think its called...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:39 pm 

A wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin - for lika a hundread time already :) Also I need to start reading Don Kichotte for my exams presentation... And was curious about Siren Rising as well, but in Poland it's unavailable U_x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 pm 

you could easily buy this book from some website.

I would suggest http://www.play.com
that offers Siren Rising for only €9.99 (shipping included).
this appears to be the second (still the latest) edition (including the UHH era).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:08 am 

reading charles simic - sixty poems, they're filmic, funny, about the extraordinary ordinary and often poignant too

just starting the 'spell of the sensuous' about perception, nature and language

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:34 am 

An old book from the 70's about statistics er, boring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

cat on the wall wrote:
An old book from the 70's about statistics er, boring.

LOL, why are you reading it?

I have a book to read for work, "The Findability Formula" by Lutze. It's about search engine optimization. Whee!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:24 pm 

Hello Rich. You'll be pleased to know that I'm reading 'Let The Right One In'. I saw your mention of it in the film thread. Great film.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 am 

Don Kichote can wait xD Just recieved my own Neil Gaiman's "Smoke & Mirrors" copy (short stories <3) :D Reading time <3 (beeing sick and lie in bed for like a week has it's own advantages as well :D)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 am 

Quote:
Sau said: Hello Rich. You'll be pleased to know that I'm reading 'Let The Right One In'. I saw your mention of it in the film thread. Great film.
hey Sau do let us know if the book is worth a read. i loved the film and only want to read the book if it adds something good... thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:36 pm 

CLBella wrote:
Quote:
Sau said: Hello Rich. You'll be pleased to know that I'm reading 'Let The Right One In'. I saw your mention of it in the film thread. Great film.
hey Sau do let us know if the book is worth a read. i loved the film and only want to read the book if it adds something good... thanks

Hello CLBella. I finished it last night. It's just over 500 pages long - which was a bit daunting for me - but I read it quite quickly.

The author wrote the screenplay as well so that's why the film is faithful to the story in the book, except for a few things in the last half of the book.

Spoiler alert!...

There is at least one murder which doesn't appear in the film and the major difference is a character who dies in the film comes back to life as a vampire, leading to a manhunt by the police.

Not too many spoliers there, I hope!

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:51 pm 

I found King's "It" at school library *_* I want to read it so badly (since saw it at some book shop - cover is hipnotizing at polish edition), but I really need to focus at exam stuff U_u