It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tim Philips on PJ Harvey
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:30 am 

Don't know if this has been shared here already:

Quote:
The score for Apple TV+’s Bad Sisters features a collaboration between Tim Phillips and P.J. Harvey. Phillips recalled inventing a new instrument with Harvey so she could record most of her work ahead of her album and book tour.

“We came up with an ulterior plan which ended up becoming the sound of the show which was to build her into a huge series of sampler instruments which she then named the Pollytron,” Phillips said at Deadline’s Sound & Screen: Television event. “We spent a couple days basically sampling her, building huge libraries of her doing all sorts of different things. We cut the title track as well.”

That title track is Harvey covering Leonard Cohen’s “Who By Fire.”

“She turned up in the studio and told me just as she was about to go in the booth, ‘I forgot to mention, I never do more than three takes of anything,’ ” Phillips recalled. “It is literally the first take you hear on the show with maybe a couple of words cut in from something else. It’s 99% that take.”

Phillips also helped Harvey harmonize with herself. The show is about four sisters who plot against the fifth’s husband.

“Polly [the “P.J.” in Harvey stands for Polly Jean] came up with the idea that we should have a harmony for each sister,” Phillips said. “There’s five of her singing in that. One is pitch shifted down.”

Throughout the score of the episodes, Harvey employs a Bulgarian style of singing. Sharon Horgan, who adapted Bad Sisters for Apple, suggested the Bulgarian female vocals.

“That’s very expressive and uses a lot of cackles and whoops,” Phillips said. “It just so happened that Polly Harvey had recently been studying this form of singing. It was the biggest, wildest fluke whatsoever. We went and got her doing all that stuff. It just really seemed to work within the tone of the show.”

I thought PJ was in a Bulgarian choir 30 years ago, yet here Philips says it's a recent thing... am i wrong?
Source: https://deadline.com/2023/05/bad-sister ... 235363452/

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:49 pm 

Thanks for this, very much appreciated. Didn't know about her three takes rule!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:06 pm 

another interview with Tim Phillips..

https://www.awardsdaily.com/2023/06/05/ ... interview/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:28 pm 

Zoom interview from AppleTV https://www.instagram.com/p/CuCdEJeLZj5/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:02 pm 

Thanks for sharing, Romario, I would have never found it myself. Polly’s Siri malfunction made me laugh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:35 pm 

For those of us who are "technically challenged" can someone explain how I actually watch the video? I have clicked on everything in sight on that Instagram page but nothing seems to happen!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 pm 

Orange Monkey wrote:
For those of us who are "technically challenged" can someone explain how I actually watch the video? I have clicked on everything in sight on that Instagram page but nothing seems to happen!

this link will hopefully work https://fycextras.com/bad-sisters/pj-ha ... m-phillips

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:13 pm 

Thank you!