It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:11 am 

erik7778910 wrote:
"Stories" sounds great. There's a few songs that don't pop as much as I'd like - "Whores" and "Big Exit" being two of them but I think that also comes down to mastering choices. So happy to finally have this one on vinyl!

Yes.
https://guitar.com/review/album/the-genius-of-stories-from-the-city-stories-from-the-sea-by-pj-harvey/
"A big part of Stories… was the bell-like tones of her 60s Gibson Firebird"

To me, Stories is unique among her albums in that I like the studio album better than the live shows. The demos for Stories peels off some of the sound, but leaves the essence intact with no distractions. For all the other albums, in particular ITD, I like the live shows better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:37 pm 

DrDark wrote:
To me, Stories is unique among her albums in that I like the studio album better than the live shows. The demos for Stories peels off some of the sound, but leaves the essence intact with no distractions. For all the other albums, in particular ITD, I like the live shows better.

Funny, it's almost the opposite for me. Stories is the album I probably enjoy the least in her discography; I can admire it for being a solid pop-rock record but never actually feel like listening to it - the sound and the production are probably partially to blame. But over the years I've warmed up to some of the songs in their live incarnations (I particularly liked some of the versions she played as a trio with Rob and Mick in 2003, as well as solo renditions of "Big Exit" and "Horses").

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:08 am 

DrDark wrote:
"A big part of Stories… was the bell-like tones of her 60s Gibson Firebird"

I feel fairly certain she did not even have that guitar at the time she recorded this album. It didn’t make an appearance until 2003 and then was used widely after that. I hear the Telecaster and the Broadkaster. Unless there’s some photographic evidence of the Firebird being around back then.

That’s an otherwise very good article. It’s vanishingly rare to read anything about her guitar playing, especially re: that album. To that end it got a little disappointing when it seemed the author was just regurgitating details about it from all over the timeline, whether they were relevant to Stories... or not. (Her list of amps, the influence of Parish on her guitar playing, which I suspect didn’t last beyond Automatic Dlamini). I should probably pick up the album on vinyl now that I have a chance, even if just for the 4 songs I really like.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:36 am 

https://www.popmatters.com/pj-harvey-stories-city-demos

Have the 2 Parish collaboration albums been officially announced as in the demo pipeline? I know DHALP was released on vinyl last November, but there was no demo release also right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:21 am 

Didn't John say in some interview they're not releasing demos for the collaborative albums because they would just be pretty much his instrumentals?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:45 pm 

Is there any hope of a B sides demo album at the end of all this? Obviously some are probably the demo already like Kick It To The Ground for example. But songs like Memphis, The Bay etc it would be so great to hear demos of them. Plus The Northwood which I am dying to hear a full version of (if it exists).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:54 pm 

wangdangdoodle wrote:
Is there any hope of a B sides demo album at the end of all this? Obviously some are probably the demo already like Kick It To The Ground for example. But songs like Memphis, The Bay etc it would be so great to hear demos of them. Plus The Northwood which I am dying to hear a full version of (if it exists).

I kinda hope she's gearing up to surprise us with a new album the month after the last vinyl reissue hits. Probably very wishful thinking though and, yes, I would love a b-side release too. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:19 am 

I received my 50ft Queenie shirt - and promptly returned it. The print looked great but it was quite see through and thin especially for the price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:33 am 

somme wrote:
wangdangdoodle wrote:

I kinda hope she's gearing up to surprise us with a new album the month after the last vinyl reissue hits. Probably very wishful thinking though and, yes, I would love a b-side release too. :D

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/pj-harveys-lost-album-john-parish-discusses-1996-gem-dance-hall-louse-point

Spoiler! :
"I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that track should have been on there. Will those b-sides be included with the reissue package?

Not the initial reissue package, because it’s literally the album plus demos of the album. I might be wrong, but I think there might be some kind of b-sides and rarities thing to come out as another package at some point down the line."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:20 pm 

The Peel Sessions 1991-2004 getting reissued on May 28th - didn't expect this one to be included in the series!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:43 pm 

I was fairly sure it would be, but not certain. Extremely pleased that it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:38 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:12 pm 

I like that When Under Ether demo a lot.

Song is one of my favourites anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:08 pm 

Can't fit the whole current lineup in the thread title, so just for posterity:

Uh Huh Her + demos — April 30th (tomorrow!)
The Peel Sessions — May 28th
White Chalk + demos — June 25th

Which probably means A Woman a Man, Let England Shake and Hope Six for July-September, hopefully a B-sides/rarities compilation before Christmas to cap the whole thing off, and — wishful thinking! — a new LP early next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next