It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:06 pm 

I'm so glad the Dry vinyl reissue comes with a code for a lossless download with 'fixed' volume. Finally! Since 1992 I had to adjust the volume when playing Dry.

They also updated Dry on streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:51 pm 

I thought it indeed had been updated on Apple Music! When someone on another forum :cough:stevehoffman:cough said that the flac flies were no different from the first CD release, I assumed it was my new headphones that were making Dry so much louder, and why I could suddenly hear things on the tracks I’d never heard before. You’re saying it isn’t my imagination, @error?

The other hint that it had been updated is that the one track I had bought from iTunes (“Joe”) looked different in my playlist compared to how it now looks on Apple Music streaming—the shading on the edges of the album cover image was slightly different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:56 pm 

Ha, it's not your imagination. Thanks to 'mastering consultant' Head.

By the way, quick test (I'm *not* an audiophile) I just played the 1992 cd, the 2020 vinyl and 2020 download simultaneously. Without adjusting my amp's volume… the cd and vinyl sound about the same, so hardly any volume differences. The download is much louder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 pm 

error wrote:
Without adjusting my amp's volume… the cd and vinyl sound about the same, so hardly any volume differences. The download is much louder.

Thank you, that’s very helpful. I’m not particularly an audiophile myself (certainly don’t have the equipment), but I can notice little things that are different about a master when it’s an album I’ve listened to hundreds of times and know inside and out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:25 am 

TheNightingale wrote:
Well I assumed so (I only downloaded the FLACs to my HDD and didn't listen to them) but I've just compared its waveform to a original CD rip and there's a striking difference in volume:

(The upper one is "Oh My Lover" from the 1992 CD, the lower one is the download version accompanying the physical reissue.)

Perhaps tomorrow I'll listen to the downloaded files and have more to say.

Hi, I just received my reissue of Dry on LP, but I don't know where the download code is? Will you tell me where to find it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:47 am 

Hi, I just received my reissue of Dry on LP, but I don't know where is the download code for the digital file? Could you tell me where to find it? :???:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:09 am 

In my case it was on a little coupon inside the LP sleeve. But according to what I read on Reddit/Discogs the American copies of the record don't have the coupon with the code, only the European ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

TheNightingale wrote:
In my case it was on a little coupon inside the LP sleeve. But according to what I read on Reddit/Discogs the American copies of the record don't have the coupon with the code, only the European ones.

I bought Dry - Demos from Amazon here in the U.S. and it had the coupon, then Dry from a small online seller and it did not. I'm guessing that the Amazon copy was European.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:59 pm 

As a side note, I wish they'd just set up a Bandcamp page for the reissues and the demo albums so that everyone could buy the digital versions and download them in their preferred format, if they chose so. For instance, I don't necessarily want to buy physical editions of the demos - the albums proper are enough for me - but I also don't fancy streaming services and would rather own the files. (Besides, Bandcamp is very fair to the artists, compared to Spotify, Apple Music etc.)

All About Eve and its bonus EP are both up there but they were released by Invada, not Island, so I guess it boils down to the label's decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:42 pm 

That “To Bring You My Love” demo is every bit as great as I expected it would be. The whole song was fully conceptualized right there, all she did was fine-tune her vocal performance and lose the “sleepy” affect heard on the first verse here. The main guitar is the same one on the album version, the other guitar parts are different.

Can’t wait to hear the rest of these. I might end up buying the vinyl release after all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:19 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
That “To Bring You My Love” demo is every bit as great as I expected it would be. The whole song was fully conceptualized right there, all she did was fine-tune her vocal performance and lose the “sleepy” affect heard on the first verse here. The main guitar is the same one on the album version, the other guitar parts are different.

Can’t wait to hear the rest of these. I might end up buying the vinyl release after all.

Totally agree, it's fascinating to see how fully realized these songs were before she went into the studio. It really highlights what a fantastic producer and visionary she is (as if we needed any convincing!); she knew exactly what she wanted for this album. It's been fun to hear, with this demo and "Down By The Water", what parts of the original demo were used in the final versions. I am very impressed that she achieved such a robust and vital guitar sound from an 8-Track recorder; to my ears it sounds like the organ from the demo was also used on the final version.

Very excited to hear the Is This Desire? and Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea demo albums now, especially since a lot of those songs were written around the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:26 pm 

Nathan wrote:
I am very impressed that she achieved such a robust and vital guitar sound from an 8-Track recorder; to my ears it sounds like the organ from the demo was also used on the final version.

Very excited to hear the Is This Desire? and Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea demo albums now, especially since a lot of those songs were written around the same time.

I think she was still using her 4-track cassette recorder for TBYML’s demos, but it does sound like she might have utilized more than 4 tracks here, like she did some internal bouncing or used two machines. She definitely used more than one machine on 4TD, the album.

I didn’t realize a lot of the songs on Stories... were written back then. Do you know which ones?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 pm 

Can't wait to listen to these demos!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:02 pm 

BobSimms wrote:

I didn’t realize a lot of the songs on Stories... were written back then. Do you know which ones?

You can check this thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2312) for more info; according to the list posted in that thread these songs were all registered at the same time:

Spoiler! :
A Perfect Day Elise
A Place Called Home
Angelene
Beautiful Feeling
Catherine
Electric Light
Horses In My Dreams
Is This Desire
Joy
Kamikazi
The Wind
My Beautiful Leah
No Girl So Sweet
One Line
The Garden
The Mess We’re In
The River
The Sky Lit Up

There was also a later batch of registered songs that ended up on Stories:

Spoiler! :
Big Exit
Good Fortune
The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore
This Is Love
We Float
You Said Something

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next