It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:04 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
I do think I know that one, I believe I found it on YouTube, mislabeled as something else (a demo, perhaps?). Does she use a distortion pedal on it? Or is it like that solo Peel Session version of “50ft Queenie” that’s all palm-muted and subdued? I really don’t care for that one.

As for the Outlaw Blues “Highway” foundational guitar and voice (if that’s what it is), I imagine she recorded it either at her tiny London flat or the one she rented above the restaurant on the coast.

I’ll have to look through my DVD-R’s for the wav I extracted from the disc. I must’ve only listened to it once because I remember almost nothing about it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Polly solo live and liked it. Except “Rid Of Me”.

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:07 am 

BobSimms wrote:
Quote:
I think we can definitely put to bed the notion that there won’t be accompanying albums of demos for the post-Rid Of Me LPs.

Yep!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am 

11th September for TBYML and demos
http://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/*/To-Bring-You-My-Love-Demos-LP/6LPG0000000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:09 pm 

Link to official store with signed artwork available for the demos!
https://pjharvey.kontraband.store/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:56 pm 

does anyone think she’ll release a collection of bsides? all of them are amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:48 pm 

This and the Desire demos are the ones I'm waiting for the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:01 pm 

The "Down by the Water" demo is up on Spotify and it's very, very similar to the album version. They actually used the vocals from the demo in the studio recording! The demo features the same drum machine beat she used while playing the song solo live in 2007/2008.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:21 pm 

TheNightingale wrote:
The "Down by the Water" demo is up on Spotify and it's very, very similar to the album version. They actually used the vocals from the demo in the studio recording! The demo features the same drum machine beat she used while playing the song solo live in 2007/2008.

It really has been a surprise to hear the exact same takes for the main and background vocals and the full arrangement already at this stage. It shows to which degree PJ's home recordings are present in some of her albums when they've been transferred to the studio as the basis for the final versions. I'm sure this will happen with a lot of the TBYML and ITD songs.

P.S.: a little sad to confirm that these collections are mirrors to the album tracklists and it's a missed oportunity for some unreleased songs from each era to see the light of day.

Last edited by desperateK on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:06 pm 

bruise wrote:
BobSimms wrote:
Quote:
I think we can definitely put to bed the notion that there won’t be accompanying albums of demos for the post-Rid Of Me LPs.

Yep!

Wow, they really did build this record off of her demos. Sounds like they used her original vocals.

I know I’m probably a bad fan, but this makes me a little less excited for the rereleases. I’ll be happy to buy all of the remastered albums as it seems like they’re pulling in the people that originally worked on them. But I just don’t know how I feel about putting down money for demo versions of the albums when the songs aren’t going to be dramatically different. Demonstration was fun to listen to because of how young she sounded, but I almost never listen to it. And 4-Track Demos is great because of how raw it is and how different it is from the production style on RoM. I’m still holding out hope for a box set of unreleased material after all the albums are released. That would put me over the moon.

But I’ll stop my belly aching now and just be happy with what we are getting. Because I have Desire on vinyl and it’s a terrible pressing so I’ll be happy to have a nice, clean version.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 pm 

You’re not a bad fan. (If you’re bad, I’m terrible!) I’ll likely skip this one and the next few albums in this series, unless the demos for TBYML are incredible — I’ll wait to hear them on Apple Music before I decide whether to buy the vinyl or not. I recently made a custom TBYML playlist for my iPhone, and I used only 4 of the tracks from the album, the rest were B-sides and “Naked Cousin” (from the TBYML sessions).

I have the first four vinyl releases in the series pre-ordered already, so it’ll be a nice break for my wallet. I’ll likely pick up again when Stories and Uh Huh Her are reissued, though I expect Uh Huh Her’s demos to be largely similar to the album tracks, just with a drum machine (or no drums at all) instead of Rob.

Post-Rid Of Me, a vinyl/digital release of the B-sides and unreleased tracks would be far preferable to me. I’d only be interested in Is This Desire’s demos if they included the instrumentals and “The Northwood”. I have no interest in the rest of that album.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:45 pm 

OK now that new material is coming out I'll get on board with this series.

Has anybody compared the Dry demos CD to the original Dry Demonstration bonus CD? any difference?
Is there no plan for the main albums to be reissued in remastered form on CD? Perhaps they are seeing it as not worth it as the vinyl reissues are being done with the aim of staying faithful what is was?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm 

zemonsta wrote:
Has anybody compared the Dry demos CD to the original Dry Demonstration bonus CD? any difference?

The Dry Demos cd is set to be released next week, on the 24th, so I haven't received my copy yet. But the product description doesn't mention any remastering treatment on the original material, in fact the demo for Sheela sounds exactly the same, including the pervasive hiss all along the track.

BTW, I love the packagings so far. I remember reading somewhere that the original pictures taken by Maria for the TBYML cover were rejected by Island records and deemed unfit for artwork, so I hope she got her revenge this time! As much as I love the album cover, the new ones fit the homemade aesthetics of Maria & PJ's collaboration from the early 90's and fit the feeling of a demo album, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:54 pm 

The Dry demos were almost certainly not remastered for CD, only vinyl. I expect they would have noted any remastering of the CD/digital tracks if anything had been done in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:20 pm 

One thing I've just noticed on the official website:

Quote:
The release will be accompanied by full restorations of the videos for ‘Down By the Water’, ‘To Bring You My Love’, ‘C’mon Billy’ and ‘Send His Love to Me’.

I assume this is a mistake? Unless they're going to unearth a previously-unseen TBYML video?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
I do think I know that one, I believe I found it on YouTube, mislabeled as something else (a demo, perhaps?). Does she use a distortion pedal on it? Or is it like that solo Peel Session version of “50ft Queenie” that’s all palm-muted and subdued? I really don’t care for that one.

As for the Outlaw Blues “Highway” foundational guitar and voice (if that’s what it is), I imagine she recorded it either at her tiny London flat or the one she rented above the restaurant on the coast.

Here’s a picture of the back of the jewel case since discogs didn’t have one. It lists the date of the recording. http://www.mediafire.com/view/z02dw6uj6hyrmg6/5E9E579C-610B-4CED-9214-F7912B6BF2E6.jpeg/file

I see all of the messages re: reissues and TBYML demos. But all of the releases seem to be much ado about nothing. Most fans and probably everyone here has the 22 track Dry Demonstration CD and from what everyone is saying the TBYML demos are almost identical to the finalized versions. I’m not buying any of it.

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

Last edited by GerriSferrazza on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next