It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm 

That’s correct, Black Hearted Love, because Dry - Demos is a new release so they created new artwork for it. When it was first issued in 1992, it was just a second vinyl disc inside the Dry package and it didn’t have its own artwork. Rid Of Me and 4-Track Demos are faithful reproductions of the original packaging as is the case with the new Dry reissue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 pm 

thank you Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:39 pm 

Quote:
It has been so good to be working with Maria Mochnacz closely again these last few weeks as we prepare for the release of the demos albums and reappraise a lot of the work we have done together since the early 90’s. 50ft Queenie was one of the early videos we made together. All clothes styled by and belonging to Maria herself! We are now in the process of upgrading these videos to look as they did when we first made them. Link to watch in full below, with more to follow soon.

https://pjharvey.lnk.to/50FtQueenie4K

I think we can definitely put to bed the notion that there won’t be accompanying albums of demos for the post-Rid Of Me LPs.

(Also: all videos rescanned in 4K!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:47 pm 

I Hope they release the Angelene video if it still exists!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm 

Romario11 wrote:

And "The Devil"!

http://www.pollyharvey.co.uk/video.html
PJ Harvey - The Devil
Directed by Maria Mochnacz - March 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 pm 

bruise wrote:
Romario11 wrote:

And "The Devil"!

http://www.pollyharvey.co.uk/video.html
PJ Harvey - The Devil
Directed by Maria Mochnacz - March 2008

I had no idea that song had a video, pollyharvey.co.uk is very reliable though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:02 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
Cuauhtemoc wrote:
Yes. I was wondering if something just got mixed up and whoever put together the press release statement might have gotten it wrong. Since Dry has Demonstration and Rid of Me has 4-Track Demos (which is basically the demo version of the whole record) maybe they thought that was the standard for all of her records? Because from what I remember reading in interviews with her and various band members they just recorded the album versions of songs on top of her original demos. I'm pretty sure I remember an interviewer asking her about getting a demo version of TBYML and she shot that down because the demos didn't exist anymore as they had been turned into the actual record. Of course she could have always simply dubbed her demos and stashed them away.

I just hope we get some unreleased songs. Also, I've been waiting for clean, studio versions of "Primed and Ticking" and "Claudine, The Inflatable One" for literally decades now. I was so disappointed when they weren't included on the Peel Sessions record.

it’ll be great to finally hear the demos for “Me-Jane”, “Highway”, and “Missed”

The 4-track demo of “Highway” was released on this CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ultimat ... ase/716879

It sounds exactly like the recordings on 4-Track Demos.

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:46 pm 

GerriSferrazza wrote:

Wow, has anyone ever uploaded it to YouTube or to a files hosting site for download? The back cover image of that release (on Discogs) says it was taken from RID OF ME, not that it’s a demo, but the track length (3:14) obviously doesn’t match the album version (2:57), so they obviously got that wrong. If it’s a four-track cassette demo, I would LOVE to hear it ASAP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:42 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
GerriSferrazza wrote:

Wow, has anyone ever uploaded it to YouTube or to a files hosting site for download? The back cover image of that release (on Discogs) says it was taken from RID OF ME, not that it’s a demo, but the track length (3:14) obviously doesn’t match the album version (2:57), so they obviously got that wrong. If it’s a four-track cassette demo, I would LOVE to hear it ASAP.

The band is playing on top of it but it does sound like it’s sourced from a 4-track demo. It’s definitely not the “Rid Of Me” version.

https://vimeo.com/13745106

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:29 pm 

GerriSferrazza wrote:

The band is playing on top of it but it does sound like it’s sourced from a 4-track demo. It’s definitely not the “Rid Of Me” version.

https://vimeo.com/13745106

this is a great find. I think many of us have been unaware of it all this time when hunting for rarities precisely because it says on the booklet of that CD that it's the album version. definitely it's either a full band 4-track demo or the band playing their parts over PJ's home recording from what I hear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:23 pm 

Wow, I didn’t know that initial recording on the Dylan tribute vinyl was done on cassette 4-track. It certainly has the quality of 4-Track Demos songs like “50ft Queenie”, “Hook”, and “Legs”, with the distortion on the vocal and another vinyl record playing in the room while she was recording.

Does anyone know if it was identified as a demo or as having been recorded by PJ Harvey on that original Dylan tribute vinyl release? Also, is the track as released on the Q magazine CD sourced from that vinyl (does it have that extremely noisy crackling all through it)?

If indeed this was done on 4-track, then it’s almost definitely the same version listed on Polly’s cassettes that she posted on social media: “Highway 61 Rev (Band) Mar. ‘92”. Still would be nice to hear the original, clean cassette mix of it instead of audio sourced from a very noisy vinyl pressing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:32 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
Wow, I didn’t know that initial recording on the Dylan tribute vinyl was done on cassette 4-track. It certainly has the quality of 4-Track Demos songs like “50ft Queenie”, “Hook”, and “Legs”, with the distortion on the vocal and another vinyl record playing in the room while she was recording.

Does anyone know if it was identified as a demo or as having been recorded by PJ Harvey on that original Dylan tribute vinyl release? Also, is the track as released on the Q magazine CD sourced from that vinyl (does it have that extremely noisy crackling all through it)?

oh, you're right. I didn't have the "Outlaw Blues Vol.2" version of 'Highway' ( https://www.discogs.com/Various-Outlaw- ... se/2552530) fresh in my mind but it's the same, I didn't remember this raw quality but something closer to "Dry" for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:10 am 

BobSimms wrote:
It certainly has the quality of 4-Track Demos songs like “50ft Queenie”, “Hook”, and “Legs”

Is the track as released on the Q magazine CD sourced from that vinyl (does it have that extremely noisy crackling all through it)?

Still would be nice to hear the original, clean cassette mix of it instead of audio sourced from a very noisy vinyl pressing.

The video I uploaded ten years ago on Vimeo is sourced directly from the Q Magazine CD. I used Exact Audio Copy back then and extracted the lossless wav. Then used a picture I liked and added some visual effects. It’s not hard to find even now. It’s on eBay. As is the other Q Magazine CD with a live version of Down By The Water from Glastonbury.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:07 am 

Btw, BobSimms, you ever heard of this one ->
https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-FMQB ... se/4934675

The version of Highway on this disc is exclusive to it. I’m not really sure how I obtained this CD it was so long ago but it must have been on eil.com. I don’t see it anywhere for sale at the moment. The version of Highway is very subdued and boring from what I remember. Haven’t listened to it in years. Solo. The version on the Q Magazine CD and Outlaw Blues is the best. I’d always imagine Polly sitting on her bed recording it with her parents listening outside the door - she’s at it again. I have no idea where she actually recorded it - I just like that image.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:15 am 

I do think I know that one, I believe I found it on YouTube, mislabeled as something else (a demo, perhaps?). Does she use a distortion pedal on it? Or is it like that solo Peel Session version of “50ft Queenie” that’s all palm-muted and subdued? I really don’t care for that one.

As for the Outlaw Blues “Highway” foundational guitar and voice (if that’s what it is), I imagine she recorded it either at her tiny London flat or the one she rented above the restaurant on the coast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next