It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:57 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
Amnesiac wrote:
I have a demos cassette with dry demos before the regular release it's not the same speed. I noticed the difference but what is the correct speed ? From the cassette her voice seems like the studio album.

It’s the correct speed if the chords on the verse are F and G#. That’s the simplest way to tell. That’s what they are on the Dry Demonstration disc, the Dry album itself, and this newly released demo, which is the same exact speed and pitch as the one on the Dry Demonstration disc. Can you play your cassette copy and compare it to those?

I confirm it's the same thing with water demo. cassette 4:42 vs cd or vinyl 4:35. the same beginning and the same ending.
I think the demos cassette has the right speed or pitch I don't know how you name it. slightly slower.

Last edited by Amnesiac on Fri May 29, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:55 pm 

gaviinj wrote:
Not to sound too thick here but wasn’t this released with the original pressings of Dry? I thought some came with a bonus disc called Dry-demonstration?

Hopefully with the post of the tapes of TBYML and ROM these could also be on the horizon. I’d love to hear the works in progress of ITD....

I didn't see an answer to this question, but yes there was a limited edition 2 disc vinyl version that had both the album version and the demo version. Here's a listing for it on Discogs. The vinyl version was limited to 5,000 copies while the CD version was limited to 1,000 copies. And there was also a standard vinyl release as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:36 pm 

Amnesiac wrote:
I confirm it's the same thing with water demo. cassette 4:42 vs cd or vinyl 4:35. the same beginning and the same ending.
I think the demos cassette has the right speed or pitch I don't know how you name it. slightly slower.

It sounds like your cassette is slow, rather than the others being sped up, because as I said the others are all pitched correctly, to the key of F. They all match: the demo taken from the Demonstration CD as posted last year on YouTube, the demo posted two days ago by Island/UMC, and the album version, all the same pitch. So there’s no transfer problem with the newly-released demo, the problem is your cassette or cassette player.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:31 pm 

So I prefer the slow version :grin:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:59 pm 

I don’t blame you. I don’t like the girlishness of her vocals on a lot of the Dry demos. It’s more pronounced on some than others, if I recall. Funny how she completely lost it by the time she did a lot of the demos that appear on 4-Track Demos (hello, “Hook” and “Goodnight”!)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 pm 

I really love the demo version of "Oh My Lover" because it sounds so deceptively sweet compared to the album version. It always makes me smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 am 

Kuk91 wrote:

does anyone know who Melanie King is??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:31 pm 

Mel King is a hairdresser who has a salon in Beaminster - at least I hope she still does, after recent events. She's credited in the thanks on Stories, UHH, and LES.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:44 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
Mel King is a hairdresser who has a salon in Beaminster - at least I hope she still does, after recent events. She's credited in the thanks on Stories, UHH, and LES.

thank u !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:12 pm 

Quote:
For the vinyl re-release of Dry and Dry Demos I wanted to share a photo of myself at Yeovil Art College, Somerset, taken in 1991/1992. This would have been the time I was writing the songs for Dry, and demoing them. I am in the life drawing classroom, wearing one of Maria Mochnacz’s jumpers. (I borrowed a lot of Maria’s clothes in those days!) I loved Yeovil College and its art tutors who inspired and encouraged us – and while we are looking back to where it all started, I will take the opportunity to say THANK YOU, to all of you, for your support over the years that has helped me so much. Photograph by my dear friend, the artist Rebecca Goddard @becky_goddard.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:00 am 

Quote:
...and while we are looking back to where it all started, I will take the opportunity to say THANK YOU, to all of you, for your support over the years that has helped me so much.

Is this possibly a first (including her fans on the internet in her thanks)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:31 am 

She thanked everyone for their birthday wishes in October, too - it feels like icebergs melting, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 am 

Maria Mochnacz's footage of the making of Man-size:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeVuS5pOHM/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:15 pm 

Quote:
A photo of me taken at the time I was writing To Bring You My Love, lying beside Flannery O’Connor’s ‘Wiseblood’, my notepad and my headphones. This book was a huge influence on my writing as I began to explore story-telling through song.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next