It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

We, Garden members, have a section to post our birthday and picture, to let other members know a bit more about us (see Meet The Gardeners sticky).

Some of us has posted here personal thoughts and feelings, and PJ preferences as well, which are scattered in many threads into The Garden.

In this thread, we may share basic information about us, which will be all in the same place. Moderators will link these profiles we post here, to the Meet The Gardeners sticky.

In order to maintain the same look and feel in all profiles, copy all text after this paragraph and paste it into an "Add Reply" or "Quick Reply" window. Then double click on "variables" (words which appear in UPPERCASE) and overwrite them with your answers. Press “Submit” when it’s done.

[size=160]MYGARDENNAME[/size] profile

[i][size=160][color=blue]PERSONALTHOUGHT[/color][/size][/i]

[b]First band I heard, which made me a rock person: [/b] FIRSTBAND

[b]Main music influences in my life: [/b]
MAININFLUENCES

[b]Bands and musicians I'm liking lately: [/b]
BANDSLIST

[b]Instruments I play: [/b] INSTRUMENTS

[size=180][color=blue]PJ related topics __________________________________________________[/color][/size]

[b]First PJ song I heard: [/b] PJFIRSTSONG
[b]First PJ album I heard: [/b] PJFIRSTALBUM
[b]More meaningful PJ songs: [/b] PJ FAVESONGS
[b]Favorite PJ album: [/b] PJFAVEALBUM
[b]Favorite PJ looking era: [/b] PJLOOK

[size=180][color=blue]_________________________________________________________________[/color][/size]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Me and my Marshall profile

Go for it! Either find out is not your's... or take it. BUT NOW!

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: The Shocking Blue

Main music influences in my life:
Beatles, Doors, Chicago, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Heart, Patti Smith, Nina Hagen, King Crimson, October Project, Mecano, Suzzane Vega, J.S. Bach, Alfonso X, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Dream Theatre

Bands and musicians I'm liking lately:
PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Laura Nyro, Dream Theatre, Frank Martin, Radiohead, Kidney Thieves, Tapping The Vein, Igor Stravinsky, Shara Worden (Awry & My Brightest Diamond), Bat for Lashes, Sufjan Stevens, Dead Can Dance

Instruments I play: Guitar

PJ related topics __________________________________________________

First PJ song I heard: To Bring You My Love
First PJ album I heard: To Bring You My Love
More meaningful PJ songs: To Bring You My Love, Angeline, No Girl So Sweet, Big Exit, 66 Promises, The Falling
Favorite PJ album: Is This Desire?
Favorite PJ looking era: Uh Huh Her

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Pocket Knife profile

This world is @¨%$&¨#%$¨#%$&%

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: I wouldn't say I'm a "rock person", but I think the artist who first influenced my current taste in music was Alanis Morissette.

PJ Harvey, Portishead, Fiona Apple, Nellie McKay, Aimee Mann, Joanna Newsom, Owen Pallet, Tori Amos, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney, Rufus Wainwright, Björk, The Ditty Bops, Queens of the Stone Age, Antonín Dvořák, Ludwig van Beethoven, Dmitri Shostakovich, Frédéric Chopin, Franz Schubert, Richard Wagner, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart., Gustav Mahler

Men who wore wigs and died 200 years ago.

Instruments I play: still sucking at the piano and currently learning the trombone and the viola. I can play some chords on the guitar, and let's leave it at that =)

First PJ song I heard: That I knew was PJ, This Is Love. That I didn't, Down by the Water. I think.
First PJ album I heard: Stories
More meaningful PJ songs: Plants and Rags, Rid of Me, To Bring You My Love, Taut, Catherine, A Place Called Home, It's You, The Piano, A Woman a Man Walked By, The Glorious Land. There, one from each album.
Favorite PJ looking era: Stories

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 am 

bluesman905 profile

"I think we're going to have to forget about the radio and just go back to word of mouth" Joe Strummer 1952-2002

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: The Rolling Stones circa 1973, asked for the "Angie" single for my 9th birthday, never mind the toys man!

Hendrix, Stones, Joplin, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Paul Butterfield, Rory Gallagher, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf, Cowboy Junkies, Elvis Costello, Parliament, Peter Tosh, The Minute Men, Ramones, Patti Smith, Television, The Clash, Nirvana, Black Flag, Social Distortion, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Pixies (insert The Breeders & Kelley Deal 6000 here), Tom Waits, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, we could be here awhile so I'll stop.
Oh...and a long time Polly addict of course

The Dead Weather

Instruments I play: '79 Fender P-Bass / '82 Fender Strat

First PJ song I heard: Rid Of Me, I was hooked the first time her distortion pedal kicked in!
First PJ album I heard: Rid Of Me
More meaningful PJ songs: Joe, Teclo, Catherine, This Wicked Tongue, 4 track version of Legs, 66 Promises, Dear Darkness
Favorite PJ album: This is impossible to answer! Guess if it's a desert island thing then I'm takin' Dry (with the demos of course)
Favorite PJ looking era: 1993 ish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:48 am 

jesuspolly profile

You Fuck With Me, You Fuck With the Best

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: Quiet Riot

Pj Harvey, Tori Amos, Radiohead, Nirvana, Pearl Jam,New Order,Tool,Feist,The Ramones,The Pretenders,Rage Against The Machine,Anthrax,Slash,Joy Division,Chris Cornell,Sepultura,Liz Phair,Iron Maiden,A Girl Called Eddy,Suede,Soundgarden,Björk,Prong,Primus,Pulp,Rollins Band,Henry Rollins,PJ Harvey,Type O Negative,Black Sabbath,Garbage,Soul Asylum,Dinosaur Jr,Kiss,The Rolling Stones,The Smiths,Old Man's Child,Green Day,Stone Temple Pilots,Pantera,Black Flag,Public Image Limited,Biohazard,Fiona Apple,Depeche Mode,Winds Of Plague,U2
Deftones,Portishead,Suicidal Tendencies,Obituary,Iggy Pop,Radiohead,Beastie Boys,Terence Trent D'Arby,Annie Lenox,Hole,Lou Reed,Rush,Tesla,Danzig,Simply Red,R.E.M.,Fear Factory,Talking Heads,Lisa Loeb,Def Leppard,Boston,The Sundays,Underworld,Slayer,Bat For Lashes,Siouxsie & The Banshees,Venom,Sterophonics,The Misfits,Bauhaus,Interpol,The Sisters Of Mercy,Camera Obscura,The Exploited,INXS,Peter Murphy,Billy Idol,Ozzy Osbourne,Massive Attack,Blondie,The Cure,Blur,Mazzy Star,Mötley Crüe,Nuclear Assault,Led Zeppelin,Guns N' Roses (original Lineup),L7,Alanis Morissette,Neil Young,Scott Weiland,Tricky,Expose,Alice In Chains,The Clash,Kate Bush,Blonde Redhead,White Zombie,Regina Spektor,Luna Mortis,Santigol,Hooverphonic,The Cranberries,A Perfect Circle,Pearl Jam,In This Moment , Judas Priest , Metallica , Sleater-Kinney , Lacuna Coil , Oasis , Motörhead ,Smashing Pumpkins,The Jesus & Mary Chain,Sonic Youth,Tears For Fears,Sex Pistols,Poison,Tori Amos,Sarah McLachlan,The Prodigy,Nine Inch Nails,Emiliana Torrini,Nirvana,Sheryl Crow,Jane's Addiction,Megadeth,Richard Hawley,Missing Persons,Skid Row,The Cure,David Bowie...etc,etc...

The Horrors,Camera Obscura,Emiliana Torrini

Instruments I play: Bass

First PJ song I heard: Rid Of Me
First PJ album I heard: Rid Of Me
More meaningful PJ songs: You Said Something,The Dancer,A Perfect Day Elise,Dry,Memphis,The Sky Lit Up...
Favorite PJ album: Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
Favorite PJ looking era: Stories From the City

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:55 pm 

megique profile

Some people never go crazy
What truly horrible lives they must live

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: let's say that it was polish band Hey

http://www.last.fm/user/megique
PJ Harvey, The Kills, Tori Amos, Renata Przemyk, Nosowska, Hey, The Dead Weather, Katarzyna Groniec, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Fiona Apple, Neko Case, Emilie Autumn, Gaba Kulka, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Desert Sessions, The Velvet Underground, The White Stripes, Björk, Amy Winehouse, Jeff Buckley, Maria Peszek, Julia Marcell, Patti Smith, The Raconteurs, Bruno Pelletier, Habana Blues

The Dead Weather, The White Stripes, The Kills

Instruments I play: violin, piano, transverse flute, guitar, voice

First PJ song I heard: Angelene but not performed by PJ, as for song sung by her: Henry Lee
First PJ album I heard: Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
More meaningful PJ songs: Yuri-G, Taut, C'mon Bily, This Is Love
Favorite PJ album: To Bring You My Love
Favorite PJ looking era: UHH & WC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:08 pm 

bruise profile

I am the Devil!! Now kindly undo this straps...

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: Queen or The Doors

PJ Harvey, Smashing Pumpkins, White Stripes, Tricky, Suzanne Vega, Captain Beefheart, Janis Joplin, Nirvana, Diamanda Galas, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Instruments I play: I'm a singer\songwriter in a band and I can play many instruments, at different levels (guitar, bass, drums, keys)

First PJ song I heard: Man-Size
First PJ album I heard: Dry (To Bring You My Love after few hours and Rid Of Me the day after)
More meaningful PJ songs: Shame, Water, The Garden, Legs, I Think I'm A Mother, The Piano
Favorite PJ album: 4-Track Demos
Favorite PJ looking era: Is This Desire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:02 am 

checkered profile

I'm really bad at thinking of clever quotes

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: I'm not sure. The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Talking Heads, and the Pixies (sort of in that order) were the first bands I started listening to that I'm not embarrassed now to admit I liked.

Main music influences in my life: Other than PJ, I would say Dick Dale, Jimi, The Jesus Lizard, the Pixies, The Stooges, the Velvet Underground, The Ventures, and most surf music and garage stuff. Also, RL Burnside and Hillstomp. Most of this stays the same, but it could change at any time.

Bands and musicians I'm liking lately: Purple Rhinestone Eagle (they're from my hometown, Portland, OR-- look them up on last.fm or myspace), Kate Bush, Bat for Lashes, Nick Cave, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

Instruments I play: Guitar (about 8 years, but I don't practice like I used to), mandolin (about 5 or 6 years, but I hardly practice), and briefly took lessons for the double bass in 8th grade. I would like to take up piano or drums.

First PJ song I heard: A live version of "To Bring You My Love" on YouTube. The poor video quality and bad laptop speakers, plus my short attention span did not do her music justice. I bought a copy of Dry and heard "Oh My Lover."
First PJ album I heard: Dry. When I heard O Stella, I was hooked.
More meaningful PJ songs: We Float, O Stella, TBYML, Meet Ze Monsta, Grow Grow Grow, The Wind, The Sky Lit Up, Angelene, Taut, April (I should stop here).
Favorite PJ album: I have to choose? Tied between Is This Desire? and White Chalk. Also, I think TBYML is a rare case of a perfect album.
Favorite PJ look/era: Again, tough choice. I love the crazy elaborate looks she had during TBYML, but I love how simple and charming her White Chalk look was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:45 pm 

Amanda_ataxia profile

no quotes today

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: Red Hot Chili Peppers

PJ Harvey, RHCP, Radiohead, Kaki King, John Frusciante, Cat Power, Fiona Apple, Jeff Buckley
Sonic Youth, Shannon Wright, Kelli Rudick

Blonde Redhead, Nellie McKay, Regina Spektor, St. Vincent, My Brightest Diamond, Björk,
Beach House, Kraftwerk, Poe, Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Smiths...

Instruments I play: Electric and acoustic guitar

First PJ song I heard: Shame
First PJ album I heard: Stories from the city, stories from the sea
More meaningful PJ songs: The mountain, the devil, silence, we float, you said something, horses in my dreams, the river, the dancer, passionless,pointless , Is this desire?, Good Fortune, the darker days of me & him, Ecstasy, legs, oh my lover, the garden, fountain, memphis, as close as this, electric light...
Favorite PJ album: Is This Desire? / To Bring You My Love
Favorite PJ looking era: UHH /TBYML

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 pm 

alonbp profile

It's spring and the mosquitoes are back

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: I don't know really, let's say Radiohead.

Polly of course, Björk, Portishead, White Stripes, Regina Spektor, Radiohead, Interpol, The National, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nick Cave, The Kills.

St. Vincent, Florence + The Machine, Beach House, Okkervil River, Laura Marling, Grizzly Bear.

Instruments I play: I'm quite terrible at the Piano, and I'd love to know how to play guitar, still I do nothing about it.

First PJ song I heard: Down by the Water.
First PJ album I heard: To Bring you my Love
More meaningful PJ songs: Sheela-na-gig, Plants and Rags, Missed, TBYML, The Dancer, Angelene, Catherine, Joy, A Place Called Home, Shame, Broken Harp, The Piano, The Mountain.
Favorite PJ looking era: White Chalk, hands down.

Last edited by alonbp on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 pm 

pink_and_chipped profile

Captain Wow.

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: Ahhh... I'm still drinking my first coffee for the morning, so this is gonna be a tough one. Hmm, I remember my aunt bought me my first Walkman (the tape playing kind) when I was twelve. It must have been Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, because I always loved what they were doing with the piano.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, PJ Harvey, Carl Orff, Miles Davis, and even Jerry Lee Lewis once upon a time. Garbage and Sonic Youth and Depeche Mode are also not bad, though I don't really listen to them anymore.

Been going to an underground club to listen to gypsy/Romani music lately, which I'm finding very enjoyable.
Giant Sand/Howe Gelb/Calexico
Joseph Arthur
Tom McRae
EDIT: And Elbow.

Instruments I play: Piano... badly. I used to know guitar and bass badly once upon a time too.

First PJ song I heard: Not exactly her song, but the first time I heard her was in the duet with Nick Cave - Henry Lee. And when I saw the music video... Wow.
First PJ album I heard: To Bring You My Love
More meaningful PJ songs: Way too many to list, though I seem to listen to Harder a lot.
Favorite PJ looking era: TBYML/DHALP - though she always looks damn fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:00 pm 

ethereal profile

Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book known to him by his heart, and his friends can only read the title

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: Older brothers influences throughout childhood, so Beatles/Rolling Stones through to Led Zep, Hendrix
First own discoveries were Pixies and Throwing Muses around ‘88 and these set the scene

All things Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses/50 Foot Wave/Solo) and PJ Harvey first and foremost. Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Breeders/Amps, Curve, Nirvana, Radiohead, Siouxsie, Buzzcocks, Clash, Sonic Youth, Tanya Donelly/Belly, Björk/Sugarcubes, Portishead, Blonde Redhead, Hendrix, Gallagher, Jeff Buckley, Led Zep, Yo La Tengo

Blood Red Shoes, Laura Marling, Deerhoof, Rodrigo & Gabriela

Instruments I play: Triangle? It’s been about 30 years mind, some of the old finesse might have been lost :laugh:

First PJ song I heard: O Stella
First PJ album I heard: Dry
More meaningful PJ songs: Missed, Down By The Water, The River, Grow Grow Grow, White Chalk (we have it across the border in Devon too)
Favorite PJ album: White Chalk
Favorite PJ looking era: 2001

Post subject: Intro!
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 pm 

DeBARRA profile

PERSONALTHOUGHT

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: Alice in Chains (lol) "Dirt" was the second cassette tape I ever bought. The first were MTV Unplugged: Mariah Carey and Sade's Diamond Life, lol. :razz:

I think it really is PJ. I had always liked music as being a teenager in the 90's when MTV and all things music were so popular. But, I don't think I ever fully appreciated music as a real art form and amazing thing until she made To Bring You My Love and it was unlike anything I had ever heard.

PJ Harvey, of course. I tend to be a more loyal listener than varied. I used to have several different artists but I only listen to a few now. I don't know if that's age-related or just me. I listen to a lot of Leonard Cohen, Rolling Stones, Laura Nyro, Joanna Newsom, and oldies music (late 50's - early 60's). Out of recent artists that I have thought fondly of - Beach House's "Devotion" was a good record (tho a little Nico, right?) I thought the NYC band Grizzly Bear had some good singles last year specifically "Ready, Able" and "While You Wait For the Others." I never purchased the whole record, tho. A friend recently made me a CD of songs by a LA band called Best Coast which I liked a lot. So many shows I've seen of recent bands have really sucked and the live aspect is really important to me in terms of purchasing your work.

Instruments I play: I can't really play anything well but I like to mess about with the guitar.

First PJ song I heard: "50ft Queenie", I saw this on MTV's 120 Minutes.
First PJ album I heard: I bought Rid of Me while on a summer vacation. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I remember playing it so loud on my little discman that my head hurt. But, I didn't pay it enough attention because I also bought Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville at the same time and I listened to that obsessively. After Exile wore out a bit, The Breeders released Last Splash and that took over my stereo (and then Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain came out, etc.) By then, Liz Phair had a new album "Whip-Smart" and Rid of Me took back seat for a long time until I saw her live in 1995 after To Bring You My Love came out and my PJ fandom took over EVERYTHING.
More meaningful PJ songs: "Ecstasy", "Goodnight", "Before Departure", "One Time Too Many", "Horses in My Dreams", "Teclo", "Missed", "Is This Desire?", "Cracks in the Canvas" and "My Beautiful Leah". That was hard.
Favorite PJ album: Definitely Rid of Me. I just feel partial to it as it was my first. I'm also crazy for TBYML , ITD, Dry, 4TD, and WC. I honestly don't think much of Stories or UHH. I like them but they never received even a graceful portion of airplay as those others.
Favorite PJ looking era: Hmph. I guess 1995. I saw her live then and when she came out onstage it was to a very creepy song that I still haven't ever heard since. The way she looked was just so ... intense.

Last edited by DeBarra on Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm 

cracksinthecanvas profile

I don't like to brag... Oh who am I kidding; I love to brag!

First band I heard, which made me a rock person: I don't consider me to be a "rock person". I'm just a dude with great taste in music, no matter if it's classical, rock, blues, rap or pop or something completely different. :)

OMD, Beatles, Sparks, PJ Harvey, Bruce Springsteen, Sahara Hotnights, Rachmaninov, Wyclef Jean & Nick Cave. Among others.

Yann Tiersen, Sinéad O'Connor

Instruments I play:
Guitar, bass, harmonica, keys, some ukulele and some mandoline

First PJ song I heard: I think it was Dress or Who the Fuck. Not sure, thou.
First PJ album I heard: Uh huh her was the first I bought.
More meaningful PJ songs: Cracks in the canvas, Taut, Shame, The Desperate Kingdom of Love, We Float
Favorite PJ album: Uh huh her
Favorite PJ looking era: White Chalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm 

Jam. profile

Fetch me some smelling salts or I shall swoon.

First band I heard, which made me a rock person:
Presuming this is not a geological question, I'm going to go for either Silverchair or Deep Purple.

PJH, Patrick Wolf, Deep Purple, Grizzly Bear, Silverchair, Paul Weller and a load of other tat. Those are the main ones though for the past few years/from childhood.

Mint Chicks, Tegan and Sara, Passion Pit, Bat For Lashes and Jenny Lewis.

Instruments I play: I play the fool mainly.

First PJ song I heard: Well my Dad bought me Rid of Me when I was a nipper, so I suppose the first song I heard was Rid of Me.
First PJ album I heard: Rid of Me.
More meaningful PJ songs: Horses in My Dreams, Sweeter Than Anything, White Chalk and Is This Desire?. All these songs do something to me. Especially Horses in My Dreams. That song shakes me up inside.
Favorite PJ looking era: Corr, A Woman A Man Walked By, hands down.