It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 am 

Does anyone else find this weird and pretty narcissistic lol?

I'm talking about the Uh Huh Her era. It seems out of character for PJ.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 am 

there was a lot of irony in that tour - wearing dresses made out of Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys t-shirts; the exaggerated and occasionally sloppy performances of some UHH tracks like Who the fuck? - I don't think she was taking herself too seriously at all. If anything it was the opposite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 pm 

*I* think it was a farewell tour. That is, farewell to who she'd been up to that point. She already knew that once it was over rock-chick Polly was going into the dressing-up box, never to be taken out again; and, more seriously, that with that album she'd reached the end of what she could do with the format she'd essentially been working with up till then. New directions from that point - hence all the jokey self-referencing. Also perhaps slightly defensive, given that she thought UHH was 'the closest I've ever come to plagiarising myself'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:46 am 

Not to sound spiteful but according to the Please Leave Quietly dvd, the credits to "polly's stage costumes" go to Clare Mactaggart, Annie Mochnacz and Maria Mochnacz. So... I wouldn't read to much into it in terms of concept and meaning. I agree with the self-referencial stance of course, but not more.