It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

I have been far from her for a long time. And I stayed away from PJ stuff since Let England Shake was released. New era from White Chalk had not been the one for me. Now I'm understanding these changes though. Even if whether this has been a discussion here or not, I just wanted to tell you that I have missed PJ and this wonderful community. :shades: :grin:

Well, the thing is that for the first time after being a hard PJ fan, as some of you are aware, I payed Uh Huh Her album and started to cry. It reminded me this talent I use to love. How enjoyable was this experience. Her guitar, her voice indeed, Rob background vocals and effects… How great it is!!!!

Just wanted to share it with you.

Now I’ll, first, listen all PJ music I own from Dry, one by one album, demo, B-side.

I will be very glad to talk with you here later.

:woot:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

The complete Uh Huh Her album I mean!!! :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:28 pm 

Since you're bringing this up, let me ask you: what's your opinion about the last two albums?

And yeah, Uh Huh Her is mesmerizing, I just re-discovered it recently since a few years. Maybe I'm more in love with the general sound and atmosphere than the songs themselves, despite some of them are Polly's masterpieces, in my opinion: Shame, Desperate Kingdom, The Letter and, from the same period, Evol.
I still have a fantasy about the track-list, though: imagine how different it would have been if "Uh huh her" (the song) and Evol had been included (maybe in place of Badmouth and Cat On The Wall?)...

Last edited by bruise on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm 

Working my way through Walking Dead & Fear the WD, Desperate Kingdom Of Love Just was a pleasant surprise to hear on an episode yesterday. I must revisit UHH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

bruise wrote:
And yeah, Uh Huh Her is mesmerizing, I just re-discovered it recently since a few years. Maybe I'm more in love with the general sound and atmosphere than the songs themselves, despite some of them are Polly's masterpieces, in my opinion: Shame, Desperate Kingdom, The Letter and, from the same period, Evol.
I still have a fantasy about the track-list, though: imagine how different it would have been if "Uh huh her" (the song) and Evol had been included (maybe in place of Badmouth and Cat On The Wall?)...

You're right, there is something around the 2004 atmosphere. A different atmosphere exists in each Polly album (some sound similarities between Dry, 4 Track Demos and Rid of Me), but not equal ambient and feelings at all. That has been one of the great gifts, personally, I've received with each release.

And talking about UHH time, B-sides blew me up (regarding atmosphere again) when I discover them. First impact when I heard The Falling. Imagine the scene… you find out that PJ has released several B-Sides in one disc, which is already available… you buy it… you go home and unwrapped it… take the disc, put it into CD container and close it… close your eyes and wait expecting what is coming. The Falling begins.. Wow, new stuff (It is being so nice remembering that now). And so on… The Phone Song (so different)… etcetera.

Regardless tracks chosen by her for the album, the other songs are there. Evol, UHH, Stone and even those lovely participations with Queens of the Stone Age. All of them exist for us. Yeah!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

bruise wrote:
Since you're bringing this up, let me ask you: what's your opinion about the last two albums?

Do you mean The Hope Six Demolition Project and All About Eve soundtrack? I need to hear both more before giving my opinion. I will for sure.

What I can tell you in advance, is that I miss much Polly's guitar loudness and that Rock sound.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 am 
Site Admin

bruise wrote:

Now I'm more involved hearing both albums. Regarding THSDP, I'm liking it more each time I hear it. Although I'm still missing Polly guitar and rock sound, I feel THSDP new album more mature in arrangements than White Chalk or Let England Shake. This one is more understood by me, I like several songs in it and feel re-captured.

The one for me, in this particular moment, is Dollar Dollar, very rich in arrangements and a great song musically indeed. After hearing this album many times, I decided to see Dollar Dollar live and found Glastonbury 2016 video. Wow, definitively I love Polly performing. What a great video. She has been, she is now and she will be, lovely.

Other songs I use to like much are Chain of Keys, River Anacostia, Near The Memorials to Vietnam And Lincoln, as well as The Ministry of Social Affairs.

All About Eve is so different than Polly styles created ever. It is not one of my favorites albums, but I liked it. It is a great ambient job; I enjoy much working while soundtrack is playing.

Neither of both, anyway, took my heart as other albums did, specially ITD, TBYML, Stories From the City and UHH.