It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:08 am 

Hi guys,

I thought I'd ask this here, because if you guys don't know then no one does! :wink:

So I know Polly did some shows with John Parish after they released Dance Hall at Louse Point in 1996, and that there was also a small tour in 1997 for the album with the Mark Bruce Dance Company. I also know she collaborated with Sarah Miles for a couple of films. I don't have any info, pictures, footage or interviews from these projects.
Did she do anything else during this time that I haven't mentioned?
I know Polly was creating and active during 1996/1997, but I can't find a whole lot at all online.
I was wondering if there was any pictures, footage/clips or print interviews from this time in her career?
I have a few DHALP/1996 album press photos which aren't the best quality, but not that many, compared with the rest of her career.
Did they do any interviews when they released DHALP? Was also wondering if there were any good quality versions of the videos for the singles they released from the album?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

here's the gigografy, you can find more here: http://pjharveyshows.thegardenforum.org/1997-1999.html

1997-07-13, - SALZBURG FESTIVAL (JOHN PARISH, POLLY JEAN HARVEY & THE MARK BRUCE DANCE COMPANY) - SALZBURG, AUSTRIA

1997-07-12, - SALZBURG FESTIVAL (JOHN PARISH, POLLY JEAN HARVEY & THE MARK BRUCE DANCE COMPANY) - SALZBURG, AUSTRIA

1997-03-09, - MANCHESTER ACADEMY - MANCHESTER, U.K.

1997-02-17, - PLAYHOUSE (JOHN PARISH, POLLY JEAN HARVEY & THE MARK BRUCE DANCE COMPANY) - NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, U.K.
Set List- Here Come The Warm Jets / Rope Bridge Crossing / City Of No Sun / Urn With Dead Flowers In A Drained Pool / Civil War Correspondent / Taut / Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil / Heela / Is That All There Is? / Dance Hall At Louse Point / Lost Fun Zone / Girl / That Was My Veil / Hardly Wait.

1997-02-07, - CRUCIBLE THEATRE (JOHN PARISH, POLLY JEAN HARVEY & THE MARK BRUCE DANCE COMPANY) - SHEFFIELD, U.K.

1997-02-06, - QUEEN ELIZABETH HALL (JOHN PARISH, POLLY JEAN HARVEY & THE MARK BRUCE DANCE COMPANY) - LONDON, U.K.

1996-11-26, - “LATER… WITH JOOLS HOLLAND” - LONDON, U.K.
Set List- That Was My Veil / Taut.

1996-11-11, - ASTORIA 2 - LONDON, U.K.
Set List- Rope Bridge Crossing / City Of No Sun / Urn With Dead Flowers In A Drained Pool / Civil War Correspondent / Taut / Dance Hall At Louse Point / Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil / Losing Ground / Heela / Is That All There Is?.

1996-11-08, - SEN KVÄLL MED LUUK (LATE NIGHT WITH LUUK) - SWEDEN

1996-10-30, - STUDIO AMSTEL - AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND
Set List- Rope Bridge Crossing / City Of No Sun / Urn With Dead Flowers In A Drained Pool / Civil War Correspondent / Taut / Dance Hall At Louse Point / Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil / Losing Ground / Heela / Is That All There Is?.

1996-10-15, - BBC RADIO 1’s “MARK RADCLIFFE SESSION” - MANCHESTER, U.K.
Set List- Civil War Correspondent / Urn With Dead Flowers In A Drained Pool / Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil / City Of No Sun.

1996-10-09, - FLEECE & FIRKIN - BRISTOL, U.K.
Set List- Instrumental / Rope Bridge Crossing / City Of No Sun / Urn With Dead Flowers In A Drained Pool / Civil War Correspondent / Taut / Dance Hall At Louse Point / Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil / Losing Ground / Heela / Is That All There Is?. Encore- Lost Fun Zone / Harley Davidson / Bonnie & Clyde / Double Dare.

1996-10-08, - FLEECE & FIRKIN - BRISTOL, U.K.

1996-10-05, - THE CAVITY - BRIDPORT, U.K.

1996-09-05, - PEEL ACRES (BBC RADIO 1’s “JOHN PEEL SESSIONS”) - SUFFOLK, U.K.
Set List- Taut / Losing Ground / Snake / That Was My Veil.

1996-07-06, - LES EUROCKÉENNES DE BELFORT - BELFORT, FRANCE
Set List- Henry Lee (with Nick Cave).

1996-06-28, - ORANGE STAGE (ROSKILDE FESTIVAL) - ROSKILDE, DENMARK

1996-02-26, -MARK RADCLIFFE'S LIVE MUSIC TV PROGRAMME, "THE WHITE ROOM", FOR CHANNEL 4 - LONDON, U.K.

there're clips on youtube about Sarah miles film, maybe I'll catch it

edit:

Oh this one

https://youtu.be/XaNvMQ_l1E8

edit edit:
also she was part of 'September Song Song - Kurt Weill' musical and in 'Spleen (Soundtrack To Spleen)' featuring in Daddy and rest Sextet
not to mention 'Who will Love me Now' OST and 'Zaz Turned Blue' performed at Lounge-a-Palooza in 1997

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 am 

these are all the press clippings i have..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:21 pm 

From 1996-10-05 Bridport, The Cavity:

Likely from the same gig:

Poster from 1997-02-06?

The Blandford biography's chapters 6 "Lost at Louse Point" and 7 "Is This Desire?" are illuminating about this period. Chapter 6 starts out with this quote from her from a Aug 1998 interview from Dazed and Confused:

"From 1996 to 1997, until four months ago, I had an incredibly low patch, for a very long time. When I'm like that I do a whole range of weird things. I either retreat right into myself, or I do the opposite and just go out all the time, drink too much. You tend to lose yourself very purposefully. At the time you don't see what's going on at all".

Of course this period is reputedly due to her breakup with Nick Cave. The book says Cave spent June and July 1996 in the studio recording The Boatman's Call, of which several tracks are supposedly about Polly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boatman%27s_Call

Here's the "best" copy of That Was My Veil that I have (49 MB .avi)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mn3jcdnmzon/P.J._Harvey_and_John_Parish_-_That_Was_My_Veil_MTV2.avi
and Is That All There Is? (101 MB .avi):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/by1tyib76rn6mvb/Is_That_All_There_Is_%281996%29.AVI

Not sure how good these are. There may be better ones around. As usual with mediafire, be careful with which "download" button you click. Click the one that says "Download (xxx) MB".

That was My Veil is on Polly's official YT channel:

Is That All There Is?:

Sarah Miles' Amaeru Fallout 1972:

Also from Sarah Miles, A Bunny Girl's Tale (22 MB .wmv):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmwtommrdkm/A_Bunny_Girl%27s_Tale.wmv

From September Songs, The Music Of Kurt Weil, Ballad of A Soldier's Wife (actually filmed in 1994 according to the Blandford book):

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:16 pm 

Part of the point of the comparative underexposure of DHALP was that it was a deliberately non-commercial reaction to TBYML, wasn't it? Polly deliberately put her full name into the publicity, equal with John P, championed that bewildering collaboration with Mark Bruce, and basically did everything she could to separate the album from 'PJ Harvey' short of anonymity. There don't seem to be any contemporary interviews with her, or even with her and John together, about it (unless someone has yet to unearth one, and unless they said anything to John Peel or Mark Radcliffe). It was a sort of cleansing exercise.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:42 am 

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your response :)

Black Hearted Love -
I'm so silly I didn't even think to go and check the gigograhy, so thanks for posting it ;) So she performed quite a bit really, there just seem to be little to no photos then.
I forgot that I did actually have a copy of the Amaeru Fallout film, it's just not too good quality. But I hadn't watched it in so long so I'd forgotten that polly was in more of it than I remembered.

Romaria11 -
I haven't seen any of those clippings before, thank you for posting them! I do have a laugh sometimes at the journalists trying to find new ways to describe PJ, eg: "..her voice is rough, tender and defiant and afraid. It's like wine seeping from a shattered glass". What?
I wish I'd been able to see one of those Dance Hall performances.

Dr.Dark -
Unfortunately the first 5 pictures you posted via photobucket are coming up as icons saying "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting". Can't see any of the PJ images :(
Thank you for the info and the TWMV & ITATI videos, they're better than the copies I have! Also I've never seen A Bunny Girl's Tale before, I've always wanted to see it but couldn't find it. Thanks! (My gosh 'Nina in Ecstasy' always breaks my heart.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:59 am 

not sure if you have seen/heard these..
peel interview 96 https://www.mediafire.com/?s4fa0dery5dvcrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 am 

Yes I have seen Taut/TWMV from Jools Holland, love those. I had never heard the John Peel interview though, that's excellent, thanks very much!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 am 

GlitterInTheirEyes wrote:
Dr.Dark -
Unfortunately the first 5 pictures you posted via photobucket are coming up as icons saying "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting". Can't see any of the PJ images :(
Thank you for the info and the TWMV & ITATI videos, they're better than the copies I have! Also I've never seen A Bunny Girl's Tale before, I've always wanted to see it but couldn't find it. Thanks! (My gosh 'Nina in Ecstasy' always breaks my heart.)

Photobucket now wants $400/year for 3rd party image embedding :angry: Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative to photobucket?

Also if you don't have the Blandford biography it's definitely worth purchasing:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 am 

DrDark wrote:
Dr.Dark -

Photobucket now wants $400/year for 3rd party image embedding :angry: Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative to photobucket?

Also if you don't have the Blandford biography it's definitely worth purchasing:

tinypic? http://tinypic.com/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:44 am 

I googled Photobucket alternatives and found this thread about the issue...don't know if it's of any help?
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... ernatives/

Was wondering (if you had the time) whether in the mean time you might be able to upload/host them individually on some other image hosting site, ie. tinypic.com? Would be much appreciated! I'm just reeeally interested to see these pics now :grin:

I do have the Blandford biography. I bought it as soon as I discovered PJ! (I realised immediately she was going to be an incredibly special person/artist to me - so searched for all the things I could find!) I wish there was an even more recent biography (even though I feel a bit guilty saying that because I know Polly hated that the Blandford book got released/tried to prevent it?).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
DrDark wrote:
Dr.Dark -

tinypic? http://tinypic.com/index.php

"© 2004-2017 TinyPic®, a Photobucket Video & Photo Sharing Company"

Hm...I'll give it a try...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:14 am 

I've never signed up for Tinypic, only hosted images as a one-off. Do you think it's a decent alternative
to PB?

Thanks for uploading those! I've seen one of them but not all of them. I appreciate it! :)

Was one of those 4 the poster from '97? Or was that something else?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:17 am 

I think Polly must be one of the only people in the world who can make a gold sequin crop top/'boob tube' look good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:05 pm 

Nobody's yet mentioned 'This is Mine' from the soundtrack of Stella Does Tricks. There's some ambiguity about the date: Mr Blandford says the film premiered in 1997, Wikipedia and Halliwell give 1996. JP Huntley's site says 1999 (and that's the date that appears in the Wikipedia PJH discography), but the IMDB says it premiered in November 1996 and then had a staggered commercial release over the next 3-and-a-bit years. I suppose it's possible that the movie appeared at the London Film Festival without its score, but the most likely time for the recording is mid-1996. It's a song I really like, even if PJ didn't write it. Siren Rising says Nick Bicat wanted to work with Polly again after she did 'Who will love me now?', and I like to think she might have had a hand in putting the track together.

Mr Bicat was put in touch with PJ by Andrew Dickson, whose latest musical venture is writing a 'ukelele opera' for a community group in Bridport. Bet you didn't know that (or perhaps didn't want to ...).