It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 am 

Here's another review, no pics yet.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/cfcef82c-b74a ... ab49a.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:35 am 

I'm so excited I've got palpitations -- my two fave artists together again. Now we know why he kept dedicating The Ship Song and Henry Lee to her at the festivals this year. Here's another review:

http://strangeglue.com/news/pj-harvey-j ... e/10007032

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:45 pm 

sanvean wrote:
According to the Nick fans who were at the show there seems to be hope for a quality video of the Nick and Polly's duet at the London Palace Theatre.

http://forums.nickcaveandthebadseeds.co ... 3&start=15
Quote:
freethemillhaven1
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:55 pm Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rachelm wrote:
Forgot to mention - Someone was filming the show (with a large-ish hand-held video camera). Maybe there's going to be a DVD of the show - or hopefully at least some clips of it will pop up on something.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I saw the guy with the video camera as well. He certainly filmed the duet with Polly.

Bleddyn Butcher was taking photos as well.

WOW! If only that thing wasn't in the way!
It also looks like she's wearing her BHL dress.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 pm 

That's rather wonderful. I had to re-read this so it would sink in. I like the suggestion of 'Fleeting Love' and the subsequent "You're a funny cunt" comment.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:08 pm 

Hi

I’ve just been directed to this site after posting about this on the official forum (and also on the Nick Cave forum). I’m glad to have found people who are as excited about this as me - I’ve been excitedly telling family and friends - most of whom have feigned a mild interest but don’t appreciate quite how exciting this is (for some of us, anyway…)

I was lucky enough to be at the show - I was deliberating on which of his three UK shows to go to so I’m *so* glad I went for this one in the end. :grin:

It’s made me curious as to how relations are between them and whether he knew she was going to be there (especially as he played West Country Girl - which is about her - early in the set.) Nick didn't come across as that eager for her to sing with him but I think that was more that he didn't want her to be under any pressure to join him on stage. After the show someone near me was saying that they felt Nick (who had been very engaging and relaxed during the earlier part of the show) was less relaxed/happy for the rest of the show. It didn't come across that way to me but then, after Henry Lee, I was pretty much on Cloud 9 myself and may just have been oblivious. :smile:

Things seemed civil and friendly between them with Nick introducing her to the band (not sure if it was a re-introduction as he pointed and said 'Warren's in there somewhere' - due to Warren's great mass of facial hair!) and right at the end of the show he thanked her again and joined the audience in applauding her. When they were on stage, they embraced and he kissed her on the cheek once or twice. (Once was when someone in the audience shouted 'Happy birthday' and he asked if it was her birthday. She said 'a few days ago' and he wished her happy birthday and kissed her.)

If they weren't in contact before this, hopefully things are improving, whether or not they choose to work together again. I seem to remember Marianne Faithfull commenting on the animosity between them when they were both working on different tracks for her album - I'm not sure if it was an actual threat to the project but it would be nice to think that now they could both work on whatever suited them creatively - either together or separately - without their previous relationship getting in the way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 pm 

rachelm wrote:
Hi

After the show someone near me was saying that they felt Nick (who had been very engaging and relaxed during the earlier part of the show) was less relaxed/happy for the rest of the show. It didn't come across that way to me but then, after Henry Lee, I was pretty much on Cloud 9 myself and may just have been oblivious. :smile:

Hi rachelm,

I'm just as excited as you are. I've hoped for this for years.

I've come across another review (in my futile search for video footage), which remarks that "something sparked in Cave" (after Henry Lee). :grin:

An excerpt and a link to the article:

"Then came Harvey’s appearance, prompted by an audience member asking Cave if he would duet with her. He hummed and hawed (“If it was the other way round, I’d be mortified”), but a magnificent rendition of murder ballad “Henry Lee” followed, Harvey initially sounding unpractised but growing in power as the song progressed.

Something sparked in Cave, and he ended the set playing with a hitherto absent intensity. Ironically, the first song of the evening had been “West Country Girl”, written about Harvey after they split up in the mid-1990s. As if illustrating Cave’s preoccupation with middle-aged male decline, tonight his ex-girlfriend stole the show. "

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/cfcef82c-b74a ... ab49a.html

Thanks for sharing your experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:23 pm 

rachelm wrote:
Things seemed civil and friendly between them with Nick introducing her to the band (not sure if it was a re-introduction as he pointed and said 'Warren's in there somewhere' - due to Warren's great mass of facial hair!) and right at the end of the show he thanked her again and joined the audience in applauding her. When they were on stage, they embraced and he kissed her on the cheek once or twice. (Once was when someone in the audience shouted 'Happy birthday' and he asked if it was her birthday. She said 'a few days ago' and he wished her happy birthday and kissed her.)

If they weren't in contact before this, hopefully things are improving, whether or not they choose to work together again. I seem to remember Marianne Faithfull commenting on the animosity between them when they were both working on different tracks for her album - I'm not sure if it was an actual threat to the project but it would be nice to think that now they could both work on whatever suited them creatively - either together or separately - without their previous relationship getting in the way.

thanks for the review!
i still hope for some videos...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 pm 

so how many people here are searching websites endlessly for a video? lol i know i am :) though i'm still a relatively new nick cave listener (from the beginning of june) he's grown to be one of my favorite artists and god, i just can't get over how exciting this is.. :shock:

and welcome rachelm! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:39 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:
so how many people here are searching websites endlessly for a video? lol i know i am :)

me too :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 pm 

Wow, what a great review! Thanks for sharing rachelm! I envy you soo much. To witness such an amazing, unbelievable duet that I'd never thought I'd see happen ever again.

I wonder if they met up backstage...oh to be a fly in that room!

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:03 am 

Marvelous! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:50 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
talking of "funny cunts" i hate the bloke! - sorry to dirupt this thread :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:16 pm 

mart wrote:

I've always wondered.. Why are there so many Nick Cave haters out there?
I understand that his music may not be for everyone, but it should take more than that in order to hate someone. Have I missed something?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:34 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
supersonic wrote:
mart wrote:

I've always wondered.. Why are there so many Nick Cave haters out there?
I understand that his music may not be for everyone, but it should take more than that in order to hate someone. Have I missed something?

I never liked the bloke form day one (music or presence), long before his time with Poly, just struck me as an arrogant arse?
My brother-in-law rates him big time & been all over to see him, yet he's not keen on PJ - nothing stranger than folk!
no offence meant to any of his followers here, each to his own :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:11 pm 

Nah i love the guy. I agree that he comes across as an arrogant ass. No argument there. I do think that's probably more just the way he is in the media, who knows... I love the music he's made, but i'd never want to meet him because for starters i don't think there is a real need, and secondly i would be too intimidated. There are some muso's i just don't want to meet, and he'd probably be one of them. As a big name musician you would probably get pretty sick of shitty interviewers and fans saying the same things over and over. I appreciate the music he makes and i don't necissarily think he's attitude and personally should get in the way of that. There are plenty of musicians out there who would be the loveliest of people, but probably make terrible music. It's not often you get both, nor should you expect both. For myself, it's always the music that comes first. I could generally care less about what the person is like, unless of course they are an extreme scumbag, which i think it's safe to say that Nick Cave isn't. He would probably be a very different person if you knew him as a friend and not a muso.