It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:33 am 

Mike Hadreas (Perfume Genius) on his upcoming record:

Hadreas once again enlisted the drumming skills of frequent PJ Harvey stick man John Parish, and Harvey’s influence looms over Too Bright. “I first heard her when I was a timid, lost teenager,” Hadreas says. “I heard her singing secrets very confidently, with no apologies. That was very powerful to me. I liked how strong and spiritual she sounded, while also sounding very female at the same time.”

http://pitchfork.com/features/update/94 ... me-genius/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:59 am 

I gotta hand it to you, you're all righty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm 

sallytbyml wrote:
Mike Hadreas (Perfume Genius) on his upcoming record:

Hadreas once again enlisted the drumming skills of frequent PJ Harvey stick man John Parish, and Harvey’s influence looms over Too Bright. “I first heard her when I was a timid, lost teenager,” Hadreas says. “I heard her singing secrets very confidently, with no apologies. That was very powerful to me. I liked how strong and spiritual she sounded, while also sounding very female at the same time.”

http://pitchfork.com/features/update/94 ... me-genius/

Blimey, it's Sally! Hello stranger. x

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:50 am 

Amanda Palmer in his Facebook account:
:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:46 pm 

Robert Plant: On collaborating:

It’s such a trip to be able to do my own stuff … I do really really, really respect the work of PJ Harvey and also, from Duluth, Minn., the guys from Low. But they look after themselves. Artists kind of should look after themselves.

http://www.strathmorestandard.com/2014/ ... homecoming

Mark Linkous: "“I never really told anyone that I can be an entertainer,” he says, modestly. “I still don’t think I’m very good. I have musician friends like Wayne Coyne (of the Flaming Lips) and Polly (PJ) Harvey, and it’s like they have a switch. For a while I just hung out with Polly, and I had never seen her perform. Then I saw her and it scared me! I had known her as this polite, proper British girl, and she turned into this rock and roll animal.”

Lorde's high school band was also influenced by PJ.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
"For a while I just hung out with Polly, and I had never seen her perform. Then I saw her and it scared me! I had known her as this polite, proper British girl, and she turned into this rock and roll animal."

:laugh: That's so true, and so believable. I'm pretty sure that anyone coming in during or after the White Chalk era will be SHOCKED to hear some of her older stuff. Like Naked Cousin. It's scary! :razz:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:43 am 

Hell and High Water wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
"For a while I just hung out with Polly, and I had never seen her perform. Then I saw her and it scared me! I had known her as this polite, proper British girl, and she turned into this rock and roll animal."

:laugh: That's so true, and so believable. I'm pretty sure that anyone coming in during or after the White Chalk era will be SHOCKED to hear some of her older stuff. Like Naked Cousin. It's scary! :razz:
That's so true! I was listening to some live bootlegs from 1993 the other day, her voice, her energy and her sheer tenacity is sooooo powerful, it's demonic. It must have been about the equivalent of witnessing an exorcism to see her live back in the early-mid 90's. Pure wild abandon!

Here's a list of music Iggy Pop played when he hosted bbc6 music. Polly's Rid Of Me. :)
http://open.spotify.com/user/bbc_playli ... 0qhPxFfHDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:04 am 

The National's Itunes playlist

4. "Rid of Me" by PJ Harvey: "This entire album is almost frighteningly bitter and heartbroken. The title track 'Rid of Me' has the fiercest transition from quiet to loud that I have ever heard. It's harsh and abrasive and I love it."

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

4. "Reeling (4-Track Demo Version)" by PJ Harvey: "Take me to the moon and give me a 4 track, please. Nick

Sarah Slean

6. "Man-Sized Sextet" by PJ Harvey: "Set against an itchy, angular, anxious string quartet arrangement, her eerie androgynous voice on this track still gives me shivers."

Soulsavers

4. "The Desperate Kingdom of Love" by PJ Harvey: "This song is just timeless. Off her last album, but sounds like it could have been recorded at any point in last 30 years. In time it'll sit up there with the classics of Dylan, Cash . . . etc."

Jean-Marc Vallée
4 "The Desperate Kingdom of Love" by PJ Harvey: "There is no" playlist "without PJ The one and only, the ultimate Queen I would have liked to write him Into my Arms

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:03 pm 

Hannah Reid - London Grammar: "Lyrically, Reid cites PJ Harvey and The National (“my favourite band in the world”) as key influences.

“I think PJ Harvey’s lyrics are amazing, Michael Jackson too, and The National – their lyrics don’t often make musical sense but I love them."

Karen O: "I was really boy crazy up until I got married [laughs], so I was late to the game in discovering PJ Harvey, because she wasn’t a guy that I was crushing on, basically. But her 4-Track Demos record made an impression on me. I remember listening to it and being like, “Whoa.” She’s in her bedroom tearing open her insides, and her legs are wide open. I felt so voyeuristic listening to that record, more so than anything I’d ever listened to up until that point. It felt like I was up to no good, and it was an awesome feeling. Her stuff was unbridled, feral, really sexual. I listened to that record and thought, “Wow, just think of what you can do if you access those parts of you as an artist.” It’s a testament to what happens if you don’t pretty it up and just make something that people want to hear. In many ways, it inevitably led me to release Crush Songs. It’s such a different animal, but it’s very voyeuristic as well"

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-20/9501-karen-o/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 am 

Marty Wilson-Piper - The Church

"Is This Desire?, is PJ Harvey’s fourth album after Dry 1992, Rid Of Me 1993 and To Bring You My Love 1995. Those three albums saw her go from a sparse production on Dry to a rawer sound with Rid Of Me, to an experiment in more studied production on To Bring You My Love, albeit with some devilish vocals – and lots of lipstick. Is This Desire? was Harvey following on from To Bring You My Love and evolving, trying to find new ground, experimenting with direction, with rhythms, and more left of centre songs along with some intense feels. The first track Angelene is a case in point, (See Video Of The Day). A mid tempo amble concerning a wayward woman and her fate. The way she jumps in with the vocal without introduction is certainly to the point – piano, rhythm guitar bass and drums and the dark infectious melody, I was hooked. (The lyrics are posted along with the video). Her voice is spellbinding.

She goes all Velvet Underground on us on the short sharp shock of The Sky Lit Up the low vocal and then the high vocal giving the song its own personality.

The Wind is a whisper with some Captain Beefheart style backing – although she’s experimenting you can hear the influences. The drums make it her own and after the whisper her voice is intoxicating, the mood, the beat, it’s like Bristol if it was in the Arizona desert.

Catherine liked high places
High up, high up on the hills
A place for making noises
Like whales
Noises like the whales

Here she built a chapel
With her image
Her image on the wall
A place where she could rest and rest
And a place where she could wash
And listen to the wind blowing

And listen to the wind blow
And listen to the wind

She dreamt of children’s voices
And torture on the wheel
Patron Saint of nothing
A woman of the hills

She once was a lady
Of pleasure and high born
A lady of the city
But now she sits and moans

And listens to the wind blow
Listen to the wind blow

I see her in a chapel
High up on the hill
She must be so lonely
Oh Mother can’t we give
A husband to our Catherine
A handsome one, a dear
A rich one for the lady
Someone to listen with her

Portishead appears as a grinding bulldozer on My Beautiful Leah and this is where the real experiments begin, 1998 style, remember this is 15 years ago and her dabbling in loops and electronics was a whole new thing for her.

The women on this record seem to be lost souls Angelene, Catherine, Leah, and the next girl Elise – a more straight forward type after Leah but still grinding her way through her R’n’R in her own inimitable way. A Perfect Day Elise actually sounds like a U2 song and shows Flood’s influence in the production.

Catherine is the bitter tale of the lost lover. Doom laden drums and dark voice

Catherine De Barra
You’ve murdered my thinking
Gave you my heart
You left the thing stinking
I’d shake from your spell
If it weren’t for my drinking
The wind bites more bitter
With each light of morning

I envy the road
The ground you tread under
I envy the wind
Your hair riding over
I envy the pillow
Your head rests and slumbers
I envy to murderous
Envy your lover

‘Til the light shines on me
I damn to hell every second you breathe
I damn to hell every second you breathe

I envy the road
The ground you tread under
I envy the wind
Your hair riding over
I envy the pillow
Your head rests and slumbers
I envy to murderous
Envy your lover

I damn to hell every second you breath

Oh my Catherine
For your eyes smiling
For your mouth singing
With time I’d have won you
With wile I’d have won you

For your eyes smiling
For your mouth singing
Oh my Catherine
With wile I’d have won you

Sub Bass on Electric Light “The beauty of her under electric light turns my heart out every time”. The songs seem to be from the point of view of his pain not hers. This eerie song is like a scene from a lunatic asylum in a horror movie.

Drum machine on The Garden with sub bass again, it’s like she is trying to do what Radiohead did, break away from the constraints of her standard visceral indie view of the world – and she does. Keyboards change the mood of the song – a fragile melody, “There was trouble taking place”.

Joy grinds like a factory machine. All her characters seem to be in the third person, not speaking through her, more observed by her, like a Bronte novel with howling emotional winds.”No hope for joy”, is it her state of mind or does she have to be in the state of mind of the character to be inspired to create the mood. Abrupt end on this song, suddenly it stops.

The River with its soft parlour piano,”Throw your pain in the river” and moody evocative scenes:

And we walked without words
And we walked with our lives
Two silent birds circled by

Is that a trumpet at the end?

Drum loop heavy, No Girl So Sweet, with its distorted vocal reminds be again of Flood’s huge input into this record. Toni Halliday and Dean Garcia might wonder what went wrong with Curve if they heard this, perhaps with Flood it might have been different.

Last track is the title track,

“Is this desire, enough enough
To lift us higher, to lift above ?

This character Joseph wonders about his fate like all her characters do. You feel like all her characters are disappointed but just starring in these songs should be enough for them.

Dark, moody, angst ridden and atmospheric but with memorable songs, ghostly melodies and both sensitive and aggressive characters, some already lost, others trying to redeem themselves. Her characters have dark eyes that reach down to the soul and you can feel their troubles and the timeless quality of their fates – not knowing if we are in the 19th or 20th century makes the whole record all the more intriguing."(from his blog)

I have always loved PJ Harvey, I’ve seen her live three times and always thought she had some kind of power, like she was plugged into a self regenerating ideas machine. Her changing styles that still sound like her, her changing looks that still look like her and her ability to be comfortable as herself the chameleon – like Bowie. Like an actor playing eight characters in the same play. I loved this album when it came out in 1998, bought the vinyl, and somebody told me recently it was worth tons of money, well it’s not for sale. Great clip of the first track, Angelene, from that album Is This Desire? Her voice on this track is intense. Love it.

“My first name Angelene
Prettiest mess you ever seen
Love for money is my sin
Any man calls I’ll let him in

Rose is my colour and white
Pretty mouth and green my eyes
I see men come and go
But there’ll be one who will collect my soul
And come to me

Two thousand miles away
He walks upon the coast
Two thousand miles away
It lays open like a road

Dear God, life ain’t kind
People gettin’ born and dying
But I’ve heard there’s joy untold
Lays open like a road in front of me

Two thousand miles away
He walks upon the coast
Two thousand miles away
Lays open like a road

It seems so far away
I see men come and go
Two thousand miles until I reach that open road

My first name’s Angelene”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 am 

Perfume Genius: "PJ Harvey: “She’s 100% committed. There’s no levity, no winking or apologizing. When she sings, ‘I’ve lain with the devil,’ she sounds like she means it. She’s proud, and there’s power in what she’s saying. I want that conviction in my music.”

http://www.out.com/entertainment/music/ ... too-bright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm 

Robert Plant on PJ Harvey's 'Let England Shake': 'A masterpiece. The work of a master.

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/led- ... 91938.html

:shades:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
jesuspolly wrote:
Robert Plant on PJ Harvey's 'Let England Shake': 'A masterpiece. The work of a master.

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/led- ... 91938.html

:shades:

old news :shades: :laugh: http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=719&p=18179&hilit=plant#p18179

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:59 pm 

I ran Plant's article quote through the google translator:

I can not think of the last ten years, only one example of a : PJ Harvey "Let England Shake" . A very fine vibrating incredibility of an album. This vulnerability in the voice , and then the shattering , huge texts on the history and situation of our country . A masterpiece . The work of a master .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next