It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 am 

Johnny Marr:

Chatting to Hot Press backstage at Electric Picnic, The Smiths legend revealed a hankering to work with the Dorset musician. "I'd love to do a track with PJ Harvey", he said. "She's someone that you're always pleased when she puts a record out."

http://www.hotpress.com/news/10154528.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:53 pm 

Jeremy Kelshaw from Cloud Control on his Fantasy band:

Vibe: PJ Harvey

Not what I was expecting either. She can play or do whatever she wants, I don't mind: she's PJ Harvey. But she's in so she can hang around – and if things ever got too normal, she'd turn it all on its head.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 02432.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm 

Brandon Boyd, of Incubus and Sons of the Sea.

On one of his favourite things: 'Stories from the City Stories from the Sea'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0pg-0pVYkg

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 pm 

Comment on Twitter account of Mystery Jets:

'Typically late, i've just stumbled upon PJ Harvey's "Let England Shake" an amazing record...'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:27 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
from Robert Plant faceache page -

Quote:
Robert Recommends

RP shares his favourite sounds with you each month on robertplant.com. This month features music from Calexico, John Lee Hooker, Charlie Rose, PJ Harvey and more..

http://www.robertplant.com/#multimedia/music

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:46 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
and on his Twitter account -
https://twitter.com/RobertPlant/status/393756470526742528

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:29 am 

Paula Cole & Gary Kemp(Spandau Ballet) both played some Polly songs when they guest hosted rage.

Jared Leto named Polly his favourite female artist on twitter.

Sami Yaffa(Hanoi Rocks, New York Dolls) posted a link to Man-size on his facebook page

Anton Newcombe(Brian Jonestown Massacre): lists Polly in his influences/fav bands list on his old myspace:

"PINK GREASE!!!,RAVENETTES,AMISH RAKE FIGHT,the KINKS!,primal scream,velvet underground,the black angels,damned,chameleons,the ronettes,good music,Jakobina Rina,betsy smith,hip-slick and cool,satan's pubes on fire,spaceman 3,think blue - go purple,60's ,the action,psychedelic,b.r.m.c.,dandy warhols,nico,black angels,rod mcuen,alphastone,hollowbody,black lips,clean,brian jonestown massacre,polyphonic spree,mod,sam cook,echo and the bunnymen,stone roses,oasis,jesus and mary chain,my bloody valentine,hank williams sr.,david sylvian,the out crowd,white stripes,strokes,interpol,joy division,howlin wolf,indian,persian,high dials,tyde,quarter after,love,the smoke,chameleons uk,julian cope,kraftwork,radiohead,999,james brown,outcast,kool kieth,ninja tunes,the streets,shins,ride,telescopes,king tubby,doors,modern eon,warlocks,the la's,spiritualised,the church,bob dylan,johnny cash,june carter,the lilys,rick bain,clash,sex pistols,secret affair,specials,madness,the jam,mazzy star,public enemy,neu,the zombies,devo,b52's,dead meadow,the high strung,mellow drunk,the embrooks,pebles,leonard cohen,makers,johnathan fire eater,monks,germs,the three o'clock,edon,elliot smith,jefferson airplane,death in june,psychic tv,kool and the gang,leadbelly,black flag (pre-h.r.),sergio mendes/brazil 66,air,outsiders,big bang (norway!),the creation,p.i.l.,x,high dials (canada!),church,lovetones,cramps,monkeys,marvin gaye,n.w.a.,slick rick,surpremes,otis redding,beegee's 1st,lone pidgeon,holy shit,phil spector,jimmy rogers,roxy music,japan,y.m.o.,gohst,scott walker,adolecents,opal,a cult called korrina,mamas and the papas,grand master flash,blondie,future pigeon,Elliot Smith,The Chemical Brothers,Richard Ashcroft,PULP,The Verve,listen to bbc 6,pebles volume one - one-thousand,shadows of night,crawdaddys,jane pow! - LOVE IT/BE IT!,on the sixth day...god created manchester,buzzcocks,new order,moving units..but more importantly wire and gang of four,black keys,junior senior,tipsy,imaginary friends,pj harvey,nick cave,black angels......carl perkins,roberta flak,x1 whiteman,nursurat fateh ali kahn,persian poetry and music (classical),SLEEPY JACKSON,THE VUE"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 am 

Kim Gordon: "“I’ve been just discovering stuff like experimental singer Catherine Ribeiro. I was just listening to Merry Clayton’s record, Gimme Shelter, who was one of the backup singers for the Rolling Stones. I also like PJ Harvey.”

http://metroland.net/2013/12/12/bodyhead/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:38 am 

Charlotte Hatherly :"the coolest female guitarist I've ever seen", and added, "she rocks!".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:56 am 

Neko Case: "“I remember reading an article on PJ Harvey where all they did was take her to task about whether or not she called herself a feminist, which she didn’t…The whole point about feminism is that she can do whatever she wants. Feminists from long ago didn’t want us to forget (history), but they wanted us to be able to take our humanity for granted, so if (PJ) doesn’t want to call herself that, give her a break. Because not only did she write her own music, sing it, play the instruments, go on tour, become great, and inspire shit-tons of men and women; she’s also living the life that those people fought for. So get off her fucking back.”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm 

Tom hingley(Inspiral Carpets): "Tom Hingley playing PJ Harvey and John a parish Sixteen Fifth teen on fabradiointernationsl.com now"

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomhingleymusic/tweets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm 

Damien Rice: "I love PJ Harvey, 'To Bring You My Love' is one of my favourite albums of all time."

Ella Hooper(Killing Heidi): "Rid Of Me - PJ Harvey

I think this was the 2nd album I ever got. She winded me. I was SO inspired by her howling, grunting, unapologetic blues.. Just crazy good. And the frighteningly raw production, I've always loved low fi, bare bones records, where you can 'hear the room' etc as well as lush ones.. and this is the most perfect example of the former."

End Of Fashion(iTunes): " Reeling" by PJ Harvey: "By far my favourite PJ album, simple 4 track track demos that are so honest and raw. There's no pretence."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 am 

Tim Freedman(The Whitlams): "what else is sexy? "Music is seductive. On a dirty unhinged night: PJ Harvey's second album Rid of Me; in a girl's bedroom with lots of candles; Portishead or Mazzy Star; drunk and happy; late night albums by bands like the Lounge Lizards - seamy jazz that reminds me of New York, the sexiest town I've ever been to. In New York, you can imagine everyone putting out under the right circumstances - everyone's so brash. Seduction is a grope in the back of a yellow cab in the rain with a bellyfull of Irish whiskey and black jazz in your ears. That's sexy. Great music, drunk in the rain. You feel like you're at the centre of the world."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 am 

Chris Connelly(Revolting Cocks, Ministry): "Who are some of your favorite female musicians of all time?"
“Here is a brief list off the top of my head: Nico, Patti Smith, Joni Mitchell, Poly Styrene, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Joan Wasser (Joan As Police Woman), Chrissie Hynde, Annette Peacock, Eve Libertine, Siouxsie Sioux, Marianne Faithful, Shirley Manson, Lydia Lunch, Diana Ross, Eleanor Friedberger, Minnie Riperton, Janelle Monae, Chelsea Wolfe, Zola Jesus, Azaelia Banks, Meshell Ndegeocello, Julia Holter, Lush, Polly Harvey, Chan Marshall.”

"Are there any all-girl bands or female bassists, drummers, guitarists that you admire?"

"Polly Jean Harvey and Anna Calvi—they play the traditional rock instruments and all have their own highly developed unique style.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm 

Liz Phair: "Tis the season for hitting the road, and after another gig in another town, most acts prefer listening to other people's music. Here's what's playing on some tour buses:

LIZ PHAIR Uh Huh Her, PJ Harvey" (08/2004)

Aiden Moffat(Arab Strap)on twitter: "I don't think I would have ever bothered writing songs if I'd never heard PJ Harvey's Dry on the b-side of Dress. Tune."

Harry Howard(Crime & The City Solution, These Immortal Souls): "Released in 2012, Howard’s first solo record was heavily influenced by The Modern Lovers and the progenitors of the 1970s New York punk scene. While Howard’s second album, Pretty, suggests more of a Richard Hell influence, Howard says it was PJ Harvey and Queens of the Stone Age who provided the musical backdrop to the writing and recording of the album. “I went and saw PJ Harvey and really loved the show,” Howard says. “I’d always liked her music, but I’d never investigated her that much. I really like her directness, and I relate to the rhythms she uses. So I got hold of her back catalogue and listened to it extensively.”

While Howard’s interest in PJ Harvey is probably unsurprising, even Howard was surprised when he found himself listening to Queens of the Stone Age. “PJ Harvey did a Desert Sessions record with them,” Howard says. “Before I listened to that, I thought Queens of the Stone Age were a bit lame-brained, but I suddenly realised that Josh Homme is really, really smart."
- See more at: http://www.beat.com.au/music/harry-howa ... q6FKE.dpuf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next