It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:49 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
^ yea Happy New Year JP & all our Gardener mates but particularly Polly but boy does she have a hard & very successful year to follow ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 am 

mart wrote:
^ yea Happy New Year JP & all our Gardener mates but particularly Polly but boy does she have a hard & very successful year to follow ;)

thanks and happy new year for our Polly, and I always questioned how and with whom Polly spent Christmas and New Year and as we were celebrating that dinner? :question:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 am 

I think the Internet is losing it's mind lately. What with SOPA and PIPA and now Megaupload being taken down... really happy though that people are fighting back. A group calling themselves Anonymous took down the Dept of Justice's website as well as the MPAAs, RIAAs, Universal Music, BMIs.. http://stereogum.com/929061/anonymous-h ... ites/news/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:
I think the Internet is losing it's mind lately. What with SOPA and PIPA and now Megaupload being taken down... really happy though that people are fighting back. A group calling themselves Anonymous took down the Dept of Justice's website as well as the MPAAs, RIAAs, Universal Music, BMIs.. http://stereogum.com/929061/anonymous-h ... ites/news/

The excellent Democracy Now:

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/1/19/s ... wikipedias

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 pm 

I love Amy Goodman, Democracy Now is such an important establishment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 am 

alonbp wrote:
I love Amy Goodman, Democracy Now is such an important establishment.

Hello alon, that's good to hear (read!).

What an antidote to the 'mainstream' news it is. I don't watch it as much as I used to.

Here's a report about her and Alan Nairn surviving a massacre, and their subsequent beating from Indonesian troops, in East Timor. Some of the footage shot in the cemetary, by Max Stahl, where people took refuge, is on the clip. The British government continued to sell Hawk jets to Indonesia when it was known that they would be equipped to attack villages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPDKBCn99Zo

Terrible bit of name-dopping:I could have met her a few years ago. I was at an event at CBGB's Gallery, in New York, where she was due to speak. I walked past her and, if I remember rightly, she was checking her laptop to keep up to date with things. I didn't hear her speak but she announced on stage that Aristide had just been ousted in Haiti.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 pm 

Amy getting arrested at the Republican Convention in Minneapolis a few years ago. She wanted to speak to the commanding officer because some of her camera team had been assaulted by the police; she was charged with...'conspiracy to riot'! Note she has her press credentials round her neck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYjyvkR0bGQ

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm 

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I find it so bizarre when a band from my area gets "big" cause I'm like, really? This lil ol' place? Black Keys and Cloud Nothings are from my neck of the woods, very strange, but good for them.

(only prompted cause I saw Cloud Nothings on Pitchfork)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:50 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
yarnforhair wrote:
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I find it so bizarre when a band from my area gets "big" cause I'm like, really? This lil ol' place? Black Keys and Cloud Nothings are from my neck of the woods, very strange, but good for them.

we have the opposite thing in our village when we see Robert Plant popping in the shop or pub, he's immense in the rock world but just a local to us!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:

Chris Martin, Joss Stone and Muse here :???: (though Kate Bush/Polly/Beth Gibbons all live within about 20 miles on a more positive note!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:58 am 

Most users ever online was 116 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:25 pm
Curious. Did I miss something? :laugh:

Also: In total there are 51 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
So many lurkers.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:06 am 
Site Admin

Guests, and bots. But I've never seen more than a handful of bots on at a time. So many guests?!???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 am 

I'm guessing the big number in guests probably has to do with the Australian tour. But what happened in December? lol.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am 

I've been throwing around the idea of trying to join my local roller derby team, but I will more than likely totally get my ass kicked. :laugh:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
I've been throwing around the idea of trying to join my local roller derby team, but I will more than likely totally get my ass kicked. :laugh:

Oh, go on. That'll be hilarious! Made me laugh, anyway. ;-)

Mark Steel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next