It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:36 pm 

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have been enjoying PJ's music for almost 5 years. I'm wondering if anyone could help me with the Ukulele parts to The Soldier from the Parish/Harvey album A Woman A Man Walked By.

For what its worth I'll throw in a few impressions of the new album:
At first didn't like the horn parts of Glorious Land but now I think everything goes together very nicely. The chords in this song remind me of a Coldplay song. The lyrics are very interesting too, seems like she's knocking on America a little bit in favor of England (how is a glorious country sowed? not with wheat and corn). What do you guys think? That stuff she is saying about the children of the land is also very cool and cryptic. I also love the last time she says "America" - sounds like singing japanese dancer girl style.
Hanging in the wire lyrical rhythm also is reminiscent of some coldplay song ("curse missed opportunity") but simple and delicate.
I really like The Words that Maketh murder so far, especially that opening descent of chords. I love the ending comment about the UN
Written on the Forehead somehow takes me back to the scenes in Slumdog Millionaire. The music and sampled vocals "yoga fire!"? remind me of Moby "Play" a little bit.

I love how each one of her albums have a certain overarching feeling, To me, Uh Huh her was kind of a rebellion against the archetypal male-female relationship and a mix of the power and freedom of being single with the scariness of it also. White Chalk was definitely more of an internal, nostalgic, lonely solitude of getting over loss and lost love. This new one seems very patriotic and brings about a wonderful picture of English geography, I feel like I'm being taken on a tour of England even though I've never been there! Its interesting how she weaves in the themes of War with the images of geography into most of the songs. A Woman A Man Walked by, to me, was maybe a transition between this new one and the two other ones I've talked about. I haven't listened to the others hard enough to comment on them but I think Rid of Me is my favourite older one.

Pete in Kansas City

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:45 pm 

does anyone know the type of the ukulele Parish play in this song? Soprano, concert, tenor...?