It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:14 pm 

Hi everybody!

Sorry to bore everybody with a tab request :eyeroll: ..., but...does anyone know how to play Somebody's Down, Somebody's Name on guitar? Or could you direct me to a tab online?
It is mighty.
Please and thank you kindly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:07 am 

I wish I could help you, the song uses a lot of slide guitar which is gonna make it hard to hear the specific notes. I recommend listening to the song a lot and playing around with your guitar. Polly tends to use very similar chord progressions so maybe if you start with playing Ecstasy it will help. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:12 am 

Hey,
Sorry for the delay, haven't been here for a while--I blame Christmas shopping. Thanks for the reply! I can play Ecstasy alright so maybe I should do a little experimenting with the slide, see what happens.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:16 pm 

During that era Polly used to write some songs using a standard tuned guitar with the sixth string dropped to a D (50ft Queenie, Somebody's down..., I think I'm a mother, Lying in the sun...) and playing the same chords mainly (with different rhythms though)

I play a bit by ear so I don't know the exact name of the chords using that kind of tuning but I'd say it goes something like this:

0 fret->12th fret
5th->3rd
0->12th
5th->3rd

repeat until it reaches

14th->10th->12th

The "Oh, no..." part I think it goes 3rd->0 over and over until it reaches its climax and goes back to the main riff.

You have to use a bottleneck slide to get the sound and pull some notes with the pressed strings (something similar to "Ecstasy")

Then you have to figure out the rhythm and that kind of stuff. When the lyrics start you have to add less pressure with the slide.

"Ecstasy" doesn't drop any string but the notes here are similar to "50ft Queenie" anyway, so I hope you have fun ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:09 pm 

Nice one, thanks for that!