It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: It's Your Voodoo Workin'
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:35 am 

Perhaps we should add this to the list of material Polly has been inspired by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peMip9C8KSc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:11 am 

^ Nice one! Probably be a good idea to move this over to the 'Your Beautiful Pen' forum?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Mmmm, "Lyrics, Tabs/Chords & Song Info?" Maybe, but this forum is more inclusive. PK?

I thought maybe "voodoo workin'" might be a common song title or theme, but a couple of quick Googles and this is all that came up. It was redone once, that's all. Interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Doc.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Done!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 am 

She had to have heard this song. The thought just occurred to me that PJH might be the Quentin Tarantino of rock music. Her music pays tribute to her influences a lot, or at least, it used to. I don't think White Chalk has any point of reference. It's just pure original PJH.

But anyway, I always felt like "Long Snake Moan" sounded like "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Jimi Hendrix. Not just because of the "voodoo" thing, but because they're both in the key of Em (although Jimi tuned his guitar to Eb), and the main riffs are similar, as well as the chorus (or is it the bridge?).

Just listen to one song, and try to sing the lyrics to the other. See what happens... eh, maybe it's a stretch, but I feel like I'm onto something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 am 

^Tolstoy / WC :: http://www.atforumz.com/showthread.php? ... ht=tolstoy

I definitely like that : PJH the Tarantino of music.

they're both heroes of mine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:57 pm 

^ Wow, forget what I said about White Chalk. However, a simple Google search for "pj harvey leo tolstoy" gave me this: http://www.smh.com.au/news/gig-reviews/ ... 37313.html

Quote:
"A lot of my work is informed by the work I've been interested in lately," she says brightly, deflecting suggestions of personal exorcism or autobiography. "I've been reading a lot of Tolstoy and looking into a lot of folk music from all over the world, reading into old folk traditions..."

...I don't know if they eventually found this, or an article like it (I only skimmed the thread), but it sounds like she's acknowledging her inspiration there. This also means we know for sure that she's not the dark person people once thought she was. And I shouldn't assume that she got all her ideas for WC out of thin air.

And Tarantino gets accused of plagiarism all the time. Reservoir Dogs is very similar to Stanley Kubrick's The Killing, and the title of Inglourious Basterds is a reference to the misspelling of a film with the exact same name, and from what I gather, the plots are similar, but by no means exactly the same.

All of his films borrow from cinema he was influenced by, as well as books as music. It's hard not to draw from other media when we're surrounded by it for the majority of our lives. With all the covers and samplings of songs, and all the remakes and rip-offs of movies out there, what PJH and QT do is by far more creative, whether or not they get ideas from outside sources..

Robin Williams steals other comedians' jokes all the time. The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, borrowed from the blues extensively, to the point of also being accused of plagiarism.