It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: newly found photos
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:40 am 
Site Admin

The blog this linked to had links to copyrighted material so unfortunately we had to take it down. If you would like to save the photos from this site and post them that would be fine, but we can't have links to official releases here.

Thank you for your input!

ETA: The copyrighted material referred to here is not the photos as you might think from reading this. There were links to PJ Harvey's official music releases, and for this we had to take it down. Sorry for the confusion and thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:
The blog this linked to had links to copyrighted material so unfortunately we had to take it down. If you would like to save the photos from this site and post them that would be fine, but we can't have links to official releases here.

So are you saying it's OK to take copyrighted images and post them here ?? :???:

http://www.smithology.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
pjharveyfan wrote:
Hell and High Water wrote:

So are you saying it's OK to take copyrighted images and post them here ?? :???:

yeah i find that strange too, i thought links were fine but obviously not the content being put here?!?!? :neutral:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 pm 

One of the links went straight to mp3 files of Polly's entire commercial catalog.

The photos there are mostly well known to us and have been posted and circulated for years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

mart wrote:
pjharveyfan wrote:
yeah i find that strange too, i thought links were fine but obviously not the content being put here?!?!? :neutral:

It's a fuzzy area, people's ownership of photos. At one point we had a photographer get after us and as a result we do ask that you either link to or at least credit the photographer, if his identity is known. Copyright laws put the burden of enforcement on the owner, so it's entirely up to whether they mind or not, but play it safe. Also, if they have photos for sale, they most certainly are not making print quality versions downloadable, only a preview. You might think that official photos, say scans of CD covers, would get you in trouble, but I think that as long as they are reproduced intact, and certainly if they are reproduced at a relatively small size, that they would be seen as promotion rather than theft.

Once pics are in wide circulation, well pfft. It's kind of silly to get after us isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:35 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
not 2 sure if i'd seen these before - not too impressive but they're pics of our Pol :)