It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:30 am 

Bob Dylan cover last night:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:24 pm 

Thank you, revenire, for the Vulture interview. Personally, I would have asked “Do you know which guitars you’ll be playing on this tour?” rather than “Do you have an outfit planned?” but PJ Harvey fans (and journalists) have their own priorities.

But at least we get this quote, which should put to rest any speculation about retiring to become a full-time poet or only playing small, secret, one-off shows that most fans won’t be able to see:

Quote:
I think that’s been shown to me during rehearsals and during the making of the new album, where I felt sort of in the place I should be and doing the thing I can do best in this world.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:11 am 

BobSimms wrote:
Personally, I would have asked “Do you know which guitars you’ll be playing on this tour?” rather than “Do you have an outfit planned?” but PJ Harvey fans (and journalists) have their own priorities.

Totally agree with you! I'm still waiting for someone to bring up the fact that currently she's employing a lot of fingerpicking - a technique she's never used before on stage. Maybe there's not much to say about it, but it's a further indication of how she's constantly pushing herself as a musician. It's a pity the technical side of her music is so rarely discussed in favour of silly questions (As in The Guardian: "Ira’s frustrations with gender seem resonant with contemporary conversations about identity. Was that on her mind? “No, no.”).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:07 am 

I can't believe there are still no recordings available of these recent concerts!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:34 am 

Hi,

I have a spare ticket for The Roundhouse tonight, last minute drop out but I am still going so can meet up outside venue.

If interested let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:27 pm 

Lovely performance of Lwonesome Tonight in amazing quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4CgCwFWiKk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:47 pm 

Going to The Roundhouse tomorrow night (well tonight as it is now past midnight!) - really looking forward to it.

The reviews have been very good so far and performances have seen on youtube like the one above look great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:30 pm 

Prayer at The Gate....this is beautiful

https://youtu.be/YrAhikVYOjM?si=Qf88wukVExDoCmAE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:02 pm 

Prayer At the Gate is mesmerizing. I have been waiting to see it live. Fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:45 pm 

bad_whore wrote:
I can't believe there are still no recordings available of these recent concerts!

28th has arrived on Dime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:20 pm 

Colin Morgan joined Polly on stage for "I Inside the Old I Dying" last night:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:07 pm 

Stunning gig.

Sound in the roundhouse is always good, but the sound tonight was just crystal clear and her voice has rarely sounded better.

No bullshit, no gimmicks - she never spoke a word until she introduced the band late on...Just fantastic musicianship from 5 people playing together.

The 12 straight songs from the new album for first part is brave, rare and was a treat - she looked so into the stories the songs tell and the live performances brought them to life even more than on record - she looked thrilled with the reception to them and looked so happy playing them and recreated them beautifully live with all the depth and intricacy they have on record.

There was a hushed silence across the place during each of the 12 new album songs, the hall was spellbound - it felt that way, it really did - but people were enthusiastic in their appreciation after each....

Then a nice little interlude where her band alone performed The Colour of The Earth from Let England Shake.

Then it was time for the hits and the album tracks.

Angelene was beautiful....The Garden was stunning and totally captivating..

Man-Size and Dress brought the house down, as did Down By The Water and To Bring You My Love was an absolute fucking monster.

I adore The Desperate Kingdom of Love - it was gorgeous - just her strumming an acoustic guitar...

I am of course very much the converted, but honestly I can't put into words properly how good that show was, if an artist i love puts on a so so show or a bad show, i'll call it out - this was remarkable, a stunning performance from start to finish....

Not many can hold an audience for 12 straight quite slow and quite weird in places new album songs (there was no exodus to the bars etc) and not many have the balls to attempt it - she and her band nailed that difficult trick.

She looks and sounds like she is enjoying these shows more than i have seen her for a while - it was an absolutely mesmerising, spellbinding gig.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:50 pm 

Great review. Thank you. I noticed a fair amount of videos from the Roundhouse shows on YT, with most, if not all, of the new songs. Fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:12 pm 

TheNightingale wrote:

The Bob Dylan cover was fantastic, and PJ saying "Bob i hope this is ok" was the cutest thing ever.

an tha wrote:
Prayer at The Gate....this is beautiful

https://youtu.be/YrAhikVYOjM?si=Qf88wukVExDoCmAE

beautiful is an understatement! :laugh: Polly is the best no doubt about it.

This is the best version of "August" i found, you can enjoy PJ's finger picking:
https://youtu.be/03brjPQRrtU?si=HcGAKE6NW75pGfpd

the uploader did an amazing job with all his recordings, so check them out!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:07 am 

Sebastiano Boina wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:

The Bob Dylan cover was fantastic, and PJ saying "Bob i hope this is ok" was the cutest thing ever.

It was, hopefully she never follows Dylan and bans cameras at gigs or we would never see these rarities.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next