It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:50 pm 

https://www.newspostleader.co.uk/read-this/heres-how-bbc-celebrating-glastonburys-50th-anniversary-festival-and-how-watch-classic-sets-2867717

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/26/david-bowie-adele-and-beyonce-bbc-unveil-glastonbury-coverage

The PJ Harvey video will probably just be one of the 3 pro-shot videos from the 1995-06-24 gig which exists (Send His Love to Me, Naked Cousin or Down By The Water), but we can always hope for something in addition.

Edit: it appears the PJ footage will be from 2004:
https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/bbc-reveals-broadcast-plans-for-glastonburys-50th-anniversary-weekend/

If true this will be slightly disappointing, but it will make for a good opportunity for someone to snag some high quality 2004 Glastonbury PJ footage since I believe the only footage available currently is from a low bit rate webcast.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm 

Would love it to be the 95 show, gut tells me it will be 16 though (nothing wrong with that at all of course) but they've got nice clean well produced not very old footage there, and being the BBC just seems the easier/safer option.

Last edited by an tha on Thu May 28, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:22 pm 

Ha! That is both our theories shot down then!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm 

DrDark wrote:
https://www.newspostleader.co.uk/read-this/heres-how-bbc-celebrating-glastonburys-50th-anniversary-festival-and-how-watch-classic-sets-2867717

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/26/david-bowie-adele-and-beyonce-bbc-unveil-glastonbury-coverage

The PJ Harvey video will probably just be one of the 3 pro-shot videos from the 1995-06-24 gig which exists (Send His Love to Me, Naked Cousin or Down By The Water), but we can always hope for something in addition.

Edit: it appears the PJ footage will be from 2004:
https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/bbc-reveals-broadcast-plans-for-glastonburys-50th-anniversary-weekend/

If true this will be slightly disappointing, but it will make for a good opportunity for someone to snag some high quality 2004 Glastonbury PJ footage since I believe the only footage available currently is from a low bit rate webcast.

I don’t know why someone out there doesn’t just unearth the other proshot songs from that concert. There are a lot of people with clout who like Polly’s music. She said it herself in the Reeling video - there’s a billionaire who really likes my music were her words. How else would she end up as a headliner at so many major festivals over her career? When a lot of people have no idea who she is. That was sort of the point of the Rid Of Me EPK. One man surmised that P J Harvey was a breakfast cereal. But I digress. I’ve seen the audience footage enough times to know that WFTM, Teclo, and at least MZM (the best in the history of the world - watched it thousands of times) were recorded. Although, MZM was definitely not shot by any of the cameras being operated offstage. Just the two cameramen standing behind Jean Marc and Joe Gore filmed it. When WFTM started, many more cameras appeared. Offstage between the audience and the band. Up until the end of DBTW. Then they all disappeared. So the rest of the set was not proshot.

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:42 pm 

BBC don't have the 1995 show, it was Channel 4 ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:03 pm 

available now https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... -pj-harvey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:09 pm 

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK ...obviously

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:24 am 

This says it premieres on Mon June 29 at 4 PM:

Maybe for us non-UK people? iPlayer or YT? Full set or just Good Fortune?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:46 am 

How realistic do you think it would be to investigate who owns the pro-shot footage from 1995 (broadcast by Channel 4 but maybe they outsourced the coverage to a production company)? Then petition for its release and/or crowdfund it amongst Polly’s legion of fans? There’s a small part of my brain that wakes up every morning with this thought! The idea that this Holy grail is stuck in a vault somewhere is pure torture. Otherwise, it’s the kind of thing that might get released as an exclusive rarity 20 years after we’re all dead which is obviously immoral.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:49 pm 

For the life of me I can’t understand why people are so enamored with the 1995 Glastonbury set. Don’t get me wrong, I hope it does eventually get released online in full for the sake of those who want it, but I’ve never seen anyone explain what made a relatively short festival spot so much more desirable than any other show from that tour.

I personally would pay money for a full, high quality, pro-shot video of one of the PJH trio sets from 1992-93, or even 2003, where Polly’s brilliance as an actual player was on display. But that’s just me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
For the life of me I can’t understand why people are so enamored with the 1995 Glastonbury set. Don’t get me wrong, I hope it does eventually get released online in full for the sake of those who want it, but I’ve never seen anyone explain what made a relatively short festival spot so much more desirable than any other show from that tour.

I personally would pay money for a full, high quality, pro-shot video of one of the PJH trio sets from 1992-93, or even 2003, where Polly’s brilliance as an actual player was on display. But that’s just me.

Personally I am not saying it is more desirable than any other shows from that tour - but I think that in the context of festival appearances and given Glastonbury's status amongst festivals it has something very special about it.

She was on fire as well that day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 pm 

sallytbyml wrote:
How realistic do you think it would be to investigate who owns the pro-shot footage from 1995 (broadcast by Channel 4 but maybe they outsourced the coverage to a production company)? Then petition for its release and/or crowdfund it amongst Polly’s legion of fans? There’s a small part of my brain that wakes up every morning with this thought! The idea that this Holy grail is stuck in a vault somewhere is pure torture. Otherwise, it’s the kind of thing that might get released as an exclusive rarity 20 years after we’re all dead which is obviously immoral.

I would sign the petition for sure.

I don't mean to put a damper on the idea, but I think there's a good chance that it no longer exists. Otherwise I suspect Glastonbury would've chosen it rather than the 2004 footage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:59 pm 

BobSimms wrote:

One reason I can think of for its popularity is as far as I know it's one of only two, mostly complete 1995 era tour performances known to exist in video form (the other being 1995-05-11). The outrageous pink catsuite and her theatrical performance makes it highly watchable for most PJH fans. While the audience footage can be disorienting at times, the soundboard audio synced to it compensates for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:25 am 

DrDark wrote:
The outrageous pink catsuite and her theatrical performance makes it highly watchable for most PJH fans.

I suspected that’s what it was. Sigh...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:08 am 

DrDark wrote:
sallytbyml wrote:

I would sign the petition for sure.

I don't mean to put a damper on the idea, but I think there's a good chance that it no longer exists. Otherwise I suspect Glastonbury would've chosen it rather than the 2004 footage.

The Glastonbury archive stuff that’s being televised this year is on the BBC, who didn’t broadcast the 1995 show - that was Channel 4, so not sure if BBC would but the rights when they already have two full sets of Polly at Glasto in their own archive.