It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 am 

BobSimms wrote:
For the life of me I can’t understand why people are so enamored with the 1995 Glastonbury set. Don’t get me wrong, I hope it does eventually get released online in full for the sake of those who want it, but I’ve never seen anyone explain what made a relatively short festival spot so much more desirable than any other show from that tour.

I personally would pay money for a full, high quality, pro-shot video of one of the PJH trio sets from 1992-93, or even 2003, where Polly’s brilliance as an actual player was on display. But that’s just me.

Interesting. For me the TBYML tour is exceptional and the Glastonbury 1995 performance is the best showcase we have archived, so I would start there as I don’t know what other pro-shot sources could be found elsewhere. I love seeing Polly play guitar too but I am find the meta performativity of the TBYML tour to be utterly thrilling - the intentional artifice and exaggerated/grotesque performance of ‘femininity’ juxtaposed with the gritty textures and almost industrial throb set my world on fire! In my opinion there is no such thing as a less than brilliant PJ Harvey show and I want them ALL but Glastonbury ‘95 is genuinely one of the performances that changed my life when I encountered it. Polly is such a groundbreaking chameleon that we all probably have eras of her career that speak to us louder than others.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:15 pm 

BobSimms wrote:
DrDark wrote:
The outrageous pink catsuite and her theatrical performance makes it highly watchable for most PJH fans.

I suspected that’s what it was. Sigh...

For me, this performance has some of the finest if not THE finest renditions of at least a couple songs.

Teclo and Water, especially IMO.

This in conjunction with the sound being nice and clear throughout, relatively speaking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:21 pm 

sallytbyml wrote:
How realistic do you think it would be to investigate who owns the pro-shot footage from 1995 (broadcast by Channel 4 but maybe they outsourced the coverage to a production company)? Then petition for its release and/or crowdfund it amongst Polly’s legion of fans? There’s a small part of my brain that wakes up every morning with this thought! The idea that this Holy grail is stuck in a vault somewhere is pure torture. Otherwise, it’s the kind of thing that might get released as an exclusive rarity 20 years after we’re all dead which is obviously immoral.

I've speculated before that even though some other songs were filmed at the time, it doesn't mean that film was kept. It may have been filmed over & erased for something else once it was determined that those other songs weren't going to be broadcast. Or maybe there was some audio or video quality issue with those other song performances and so they discarded them.

Sure hope I'm wrong, as I'm only surmising here (or I may have read that from someone else that these were possibilities).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:54 pm 

Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
For me, this performance has some of the finest if not THE finest renditions of at least a couple songs.

Teclo and Water, especially IMO.

This in conjunction with the sound being nice and clear throughout, relatively speaking.

FYI, the sound is from an actual soundboard tape from the gig. The audio bootleg called "My Life" utilized it. See the Blandford biography on page 191. A couple of the tracks were released commercially by Polly at some point as part of a promo (can't remember the details) so inclusion of any of those soundboard tracks has historically been problematic to torrent on Dime.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:11 pm 

^ Yes, Hook and Water made their way to the Send His Love To Me single.