It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:04 pm 

Thanks for the updates guys, I so wish I could attend one of her readings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:18 pm 

I tried to write down the new poem, but please keep in mind English is not my mother-tongue
(by the way, I think she says the new collection is set in the woods and a haunted cheap farm)

Grouse Pen
The disused hold seemed built to take in the wandering souls
attending your steps
children of the dark places
The solitary rays skittering in the leaves
and you
scuffing your boots
trying to conjure an invisible friend.

How could you have known then
that the offerings you left to entice them
- orphan jugs, lambs tails, jars of spawn -
were grave-goods to ease your own passing
beneath the canopy of ash
whose leaves are still green when they fall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:37 pm 

I think your transcription of the poem is correct, many thanks for that. But I do think she said "sheep farm" - I listened to it closely a few times, just some minor pronunciation oddities on this particular word IMO.

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's "sheep farm" as well. All I can say is I adore the poem and can't wait for the collection, sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:14 pm 

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:32 am 

Another "Chain of Keys" clip (1 min)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:20 pm 

Bruise and Kuk91, thought I'd share with you my interpretation of the poem as it's a bit different:

"I'm going to read a poem from my new new collection, working title: The Forest."

"The new collection of poems are set in the woods, and a haunted sheep farm."

"This poem is called 'Grouse Pen'."

"The disused hold seemed built to take in the wandering souls, attending your steps.
Children of the dark places, their solitary wraiths, skittering in the leaves.
And you, scuffing your boots, trying to conjure an invisible friend.
How could you have known then, that the offerings you left to entice them,
Hawfinch eggs, lambs tails, jars of spawn,
were grave goods, to ease your own passing, beneath the canopy of ash,
whose leaves are still green when they fall."

I believe I hear the word 'wraiths' not 'rays'.

wraiths. \ˈrāths also ˈrāthz\ 1 a : the exact likeness of a living person seen usually just before death as an apparition b : ghost, specter. 2 : an insubstantial form or semblance : shadow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:12 pm 

You might be right. I think it also may be needing a question mark at the very end. I mean, that's a long and complex sentence with quite a few elements, which are "stealing" the attention, but I do think it has a form of question at its core ("How could you have known then... ").

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:35 pm 

By the way, I didn't set out the lines of the poem in the way i think they would be ideally set out on a page in a book. I just wanted to write the text that I heard, but obviously the format would not look that way.
Also, as it is a poem about a haunted sheep farm, I think it makes sense that the children she is talking about are indeed ghosts/apparitions that she is imagining. It seems to me she is obviously alone. Hence the word 'Wraiths'.
Anyway, in reply to your post, I agree with you that a question mark is probably needed, as she is obviously asking herself a question. I wasn't entirely sure where the question mark should fit in. Presumably at the end. But I just wanted to give a basic translation for those of you who said you needed some help given that English was your second language.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:03 pm 

GlitterInTheirEyes wrote:
...But I just wanted to give a basic translation for those of you who said you needed some help given that English was your second language.

And thank you for that! )))

I think the concept of the new book sounds much more personal, as if she's playing with her childhood memories. She was always talking in the interviews how she was fated to have a great imagination in order to occupy herself (since all the other children were boys), creating invisible friends and making up stories. Plus, the sheep farm, per say. And once she said how seeing some David Lynch exhibition has sparkled her interest to her own drawings and words that she wrote as a child - PJ might have resumed this interest.

Also, I think that on the vibes level "Grouse Pen" could be described as a mix of "Sixteen, Fifteen, Fourteen", "Cracks in the Canvas" and the whole "White Chalk" album.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:02 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/ceciliamartinphotography/photos/a.1400677286864058.1073741857.1381194048812382/1751943365070780/?type=3&theater

An that's how she was reading "An Initiation" for Radio 3 at Royal Festival Hall's Foyer (after her poetry set):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=712297775585048&set=pcb.712298958918263&type=3&theater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:32 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210278404492848&set=a.10210269560471753.1073741859.1122997742&type=3&theater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:01 am 

Kuk91 wrote:

I think the concept of the new book sounds much more personal, as if she's playing with her childhood memories. She was always talking in the interviews how she was fated to have a great imagination in order to occupy herself (since all the other children were boys), creating invisible friends and making up stories. Plus, the sheep farm, per say. And once she said how seeing some David Lynch exhibition has sparkled her interest to her own drawings and words that she wrote as a child - PJ might have resumed this interest.

Also, I think that on the vibes level "Grouse Pen" could be described as a mix of "Sixteen, Fifteen, Fourteen", "Cracks in the Canvas" and the whole "White Chalk" album.

My gosh she's beautiful. Thank you for the photos.

Yes, I'm also wondering whether 'The Forest' will be her next book and whether it might be more introspective or personal. Certainly the title and 'Grouse Pen' make me think more along the lines of imagination, childhood, loneliness or solitude. I agree, she has spoken in many interviews of those elements being formative and quite a large part of her childhood.
Obviously I haven't got any evidence that she's taking her poetry in that direction, I'm just curious and very interested in what she'll be producing next! I always find myself being completely absorbed and immersed in whatever work she puts out, so I'm sure whichever direction she goes I'll feel the same and find it inspiring. One thing I'm really, really hoping for is to see more of her artwork at some stage! To have a book of her poems as well as her drawings/other artwork would be a dream.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 pm 

Thank you, everyone, for posting all this: I've only just got back from holiday and seen it (and heard the clip). The line about the 'haunted sheep farm' strikes me as very much tongue-in-cheek (I laughed, anyway - sheep are inherently unspooky), but the poem is rather lovely. It may not be straightforwardly 'about' her, though, unless she's moving towards being more comfortable with personal detail.

I think the t-shirt/top Polly's wearing is the one with an illustration (and lines) from William Blake's 'Songs of Innocence and Experience', which she's worn before for literary/artistic occasions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:26 pm 

^I believe it is the top in question, I've remarked that as well, and I wish I had one like that too. :D