It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:07 pm 

this was a fantastic show and the venue is really nice! ill leave the reviews to the pros though.

also during the sound check they played the blood and fire sample from written on the forehead so maybe they have got other songs in their repertoire!

...oh and yeah just memorials for the encore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:22 pm 

The encore was just 'memorials'.
I agree with Mart, above, the arrangements were far better than the album, I was a little worried I might not enjoy the recent material,but I did.
I haven't seen her live for 7 years, mainly because I don't really like the last 3 'solo' albums but I thought i'd take a chance and i'm glad I did.

One small niggle- it was a short set(some-one will be able to tell me exactly how many tracks it was,I would have liked a few more songs for the £100+ it cost me to attend, but that's me being fussy)
And if like the journalist above, we compare it to the previous Eden session - that was 23 songs with 2 encores.
That for me was as good a PJ set as you could get!
'Wilfully ignoring her previous album – the Mercury Award-winning Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea '
Huh? there was 4 songs from Stories, not exactly ignoring it!

Gutted that the Savages couldn't play but Jehnny Beth was very good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:34 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
also during the sound check they played the blood and fire sample from written on the forehead so maybe they have got other songs in their repertoire!

That's very intriguing, I love that song! Although they might use it just to test some sound-equipment (or maybe Mick Harvey forgot to delete it since the last tour))).

dickie wrote:
...some-one will be able to tell me exactly how many tracks it was <...>

I saw the printed setlist somewhere on web, and it was usual 17 songs with addition "encore possible", so it was 18 overall.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artist ... ct-review/

PJ Harvey gives an electric performance at the Eden Project – review
5 Stars
PJ Harvey performs at the Eden Project

Chloe Hubbard
29 JUNE 2016 • 9:30AM
PJ Harvey released her ninth studio album, The Hope Six Demolition Project, in April. It was recorded as part of a public exhibit at Somerset House in 2015.

The album is another raucous political collection of protest songs, not dissimilar to 2011’s Let England Shake, which won Harvey her second Mercury Prize.

Harvey, who was one of the leaders of the British grunge scene in the early Nineties, has gone through a subtle metamorphosis over her 25 year career – from raw howling rocker with a thrashing guitar, through the haunting stripped-down piano playing for 2007’s White Chalk, to today’s full orchestral sound, which hangs off dramatic wind and percussion.

But if Let England Shake felt like a departure from Harvey’s grunge roots, the Hope Six Demolition Project is rich with nods to her earlier work, most notably on the show-stopping The Ministry of Defence, which was one of the highlights of her set at the Eden Project in Cornwall this week – her only non-festival UK date.

Harvey headlined London’s Field Day festival earlier this month and also played a prime slot on the Other Stage at Glastonbury – but there was something magical in the air at the Eden Sessions gig which set it above both other appearances and pushed it into the realms of classic.

Seamlessly switching between playing the saxophone and singing notes deep enough to make ones innards vibrate and high enough to speak to god, Harvey also floated, elfin, across the stage, poised and ethereal in a black floating tunic and now trademark headpiece. Every person in the crowd was captivated, it was a sight and a sound to behold.

Harvey and her band, which includes long-time collaborator John Parish as well as Mick Harvey of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, gave a flawless performance at Eden, providing a big band background to Harvey’s unrivalled vocal ability.

Whether it was the stunning natural ampitheatre that the plant filled quarry at Eden provides, the mind-blowingly good sound system, or the fact that everyone in the crowd was solely there to watch her, Harvey gave an electric, bewitching performance, which rendered the crowd drunk in the presence of her musical prowess and that unfathomable vocal range.

Most of the set was made up of songs from the new album and tracks from albums post 2007. Harvey chose not to play anything from the Mercury Prize winning Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea, or 2004’s Uh Huh Her – but she did treat the enraptured audience to a screaming rendition of 50 Foot Queenie, throwing herself about the stage in a manic punk euphoria.

But the undoubted highlight of the night was her the sultry performance of Down by the Water and To Bring You My Love, from her 1995 album of the same name – on no other track is the range and power of her voice so apparent it practically punches you in the face and kisses you at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:48 pm 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHQLxQ8gwK5/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:50 am 

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/feature ... -pj-harvey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 am 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHRsrXOA6za/

"The ridiculously talented PJ Harvey in Cornwall before the Eden Project show."

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:44 pm