It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 pm 

Outstanding Desperate kingdom solo acoustic you could here her breath best performance ever of this song. Lets see what my final night on this tour will be like... bring it on!!!!:-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 am 

I agree it felt like a really special night - the atmosphere was electric. Polly got two well-deserved standing ovations. Desperate Kingdom was absolutely stunning - I agree with wickedtongue it was the best performance of it I've heard yet - the acoustics of the venue were really outstanding for picking up every quiver in her voice on the quieter numbers. I had shivers down my spine when the spotlight emerged on Mick Harvey playing the huge classical organ, elevated above the stage and so dramatic - Polly looked like she was enjoying it too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:24 am 

sounds like a fantastic show, really outstanding
thanks for posting your impressions

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:51 pm 

From limpidgreen, some photos and a video also there http://www.limpidgreen.com/2011/11/pj-harvey/
Royal Albert Hall, London

Set list:

Let England Shake
The Words That Maketh Murder
All and Everyone
The Big Guns Called Me Back Again
Written on the Forehead
In the Dark Places
The Devil
Dear Darkness
The Glorious Land
The Last Living Rose
England
Pocket Knife
Bitter Branches
On Battleship Hill
Down by the Water
C’mon Billy
The Piano
Big Exit
Hanging in the Wire
The Colour of the Earth

Encore:

The Desperate Kingdom of Love
Nina in Ecstasy
The Sky Lit Up
Angelene
Silence

Was sure they played "The River"(?)

First time I've ever seen anyone 2 nights in a row. I'd go again to see her tonight, but I hope she is resting. That voice is precious.

Desperate kingdom of love? Very moving, "awesome" =^_^= Missing Polly and the band already.

https://www.facebook.com/pjharveyalternativepage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:55 pm 

after Nina there's The River

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:02 pm 

Black Hearted Love wrote:
after Nina there's The River

Thanks, thought so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:42 pm 

derbyshirepaul wrote:
sau wrote:
Just got back after standing on train for just over an hour there and then back.

Lucky you! I drove for three hours in each direction, and got a train to Cardiff in just over 5 hours time! But definitely worth it.

thanks for the photos btw.

:-) Yes, you're right, Paul. I did think I might have come over a bit southern softy-ish when I wrote that after reading your travel plans!

Polly's voice sounded wonderful. I was in the front row of the Circle, so I tried not to look down too much; it was a long way down! A bit unnerving when I first got to my seat.

Good to see some brass there. I was wondering if Polly had read Tim De Lisle's review of the Manchester Apollo gig. His only complaint was they hadn't used real brass instead of samples on a keyboard. (Very good review, by the way, which only appeared in the Mail on Sunday; still checking for it to appear online)

Did you notice Polly having a minor 'Rob Ellis moment' near the start of 'Down by the Water'? She just stopped herself cracking up laughing.

When Mick went off to play with the organ I at first thought he had gone off for a rest! I couldn't see him from where I was but I probably didn't look properly; I tend to usually look in the direction of Polly most of the time. Plus the lighting rig may have been blocking my view.

Some good clips of both nights are up on youtube now.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:22 pm 

sau wrote:
Did you notice Polly having a minor 'Rob Ellis moment' near the start of 'Down by the Water'? She just stopped herself cracking up laughing.

really? did she? :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:10 pm 

Had to register just to post on what a fantastic show that was. I went on the Sunday - Its the 2nd time I've seen Polly this year and both times I left feeling slightly deflated cos it all seemed to end so quick.
But the more I think about this show though the better and better I think it was. The whole atmosphere really seemed to enhance the music.

Depserate Kingdom of Love has never been a standout track for me - until now. Her performance of it was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:42 pm 

Craigr wrote:
Had to register just to post on what a fantastic show that was. I went on the Sunday - Its the 2nd time I've seen Polly this year and both times I left feeling slightly deflated cos it all seemed to end so quick.
But the more I think about this show though the better and better I think it was. The whole atmosphere really seemed to enhance the music.

Depserate Kingdom of Love has never been a standout track for me - until now. Her performance of it was amazing.

Yeah it was a truly "GREAT" concert, still feeling the afterglow (like never before) It still hasn't sunk in for me either. Check out the audio to the Monday night gig in the Amusement Park here. I'm sure I have ever been so moved by a concert.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:00 pm 

[quote="sau"]

When Mick went off to play with the organ I at first thought he had gone off for a rest! I couldn't see him from where I was but I probably didn't look properly; I tend to usually look in the direction of Polly most of the time. Plus the lighting rig may have been blocking my view.

I only found the other half of downbythewater on youtube, so I missed the part where she fucked it up. Would love to see, so if anyone know where I can do that please tell me!

I've never understood what's so funny with that song, something with that she is thinking about Rob screaming? O_o

In what song did Mick play the organ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm 

SaligHund wrote:

In what song did Mick play the organ?

I think he played beginning with The Last Living Rose