It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 am 

Friday June 3, 2011

Stage times are now confirmed for Mick Harvey's London show this Sunday at XOYO. Tickets are available online in advance or will be available on the door on Sunday. Here's the full info including ticket link...

ARTIST: Mick Harvey
SUPPORT ACT: Gemma Ray
VENUE: XOYO, London, UK
DATE: Sunday 5th June 2011
ADVANCED TICKET PRICE: £15 + bf
VENUE ADDRESS: 32-37 Cowper Street, London EC2A 4AP
VENUE TELEPHONE: 0207 490 1198
AGE RESTRICTIONS: 18+

Doors 8pm
Gemma Ray 8.30pm-9.15pm
Mick Harvey 9.45pm-11.00pm
Curfew 11pm

Intresting gig,maybe the band wil show up?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:27 pm 

^
I'll let you know later on tonight if any of the band shows up at Mick's gig.

Very good Drowned In Sound Mick interview, here's the Polly bit here:

"A peace, that is, which has resulted in a record about war and a record about death released within a couple months of one another, but let’s not get all psychoanalytical about it. As many critics argued, Polly Harvey’s majestic Let England Shake is all aquiver with a musical energy at odds with its subject matter. And it’s obvious that Mick’s work as multi-instrumentalist backing-singing co-producer on that record (and the subsequent PJ Harvey tour) has re-energised him as a musician – and given him the opportunity to slot back into the kind of collaborative role he thrives in. He’s more willing to talk about PJ’s record than he is his own.

"The concerts have just been amazing," he says, suddenly rather serious. "I can honestly say that the recent shows with Polly have been the most challenging and rewarding thing I’ve done as a musician playing in a band situation for a long time. What’s required of me is very challenging up there, all the singing that’s on the album, we’re just singing all night, us guys. I think the last four songs of the set, as it was recently, I sang all those songs from start to finish. With the last one I sang the first verse myself, and the other ones I’m singing with Polly in unison through the whole song. And playing piano and stuff – and I’m like, fumble-fingers…"

It quickly becomes apparent that there’s a lot of Mick Harvey, both personal and musical, in Let England Shake. He and Polly Jean researched it together ("we went on trips to the Imperial War Museum and places in Australia") for a start. I ask if the album’s focus on the Anglo-Australian Gallipoli campaign is a reflection of the two Harveys’ respective nationalities, but he’s generally unconvinced by the idea that the record is about specific national identities at all, interestingly:

"Certainly the English press have taken a very strong angle about it being English, but I think what’s important is that she’s speaking out of the voices of other people, really, and using them to get to universal ideas about patriotism and nation. I think she found the [Anglo-Australian] connection by coincidence, it’s kind of incidental that she used things about Gallipoli – they were simply the things that gave her an avenue into the ideas. That gave her strong feelings about the things she could adopt and write about."

This quality of insight is, undoubtedly, the product of a form of partnership that goes far beyond two like-minded musicians simply playing their instruments together. But then, collaboration is Mick’s life’s work. Despite the fact that we’re supposed to be talking about his new solo record, he keeps repeating "I’m not normally a songwriter," and so I figure I might as well try to get to the heart of what it is about collaboration that so catalyses his musical energies. Not an easy question to answer, apparently."

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4142 ... vey?ticker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:46 pm 

sanvean wrote:
^
I'll let you know later on tonight if any of the band shows up at Mick's gig.

Very good Drowned In Sound Mick interview, here's the Polly bit here:

"A peace, that is, which has resulted in a record about war and a record about death released within a couple months of one another, but let’s not get all psychoanalytical about it. As many critics argued, Polly Harvey’s majestic Let England Shake is all aquiver with a musical energy at odds with its subject matter. And it’s obvious that Mick’s work as multi-instrumentalist backing-singing co-producer on that record (and the subsequent PJ Harvey tour) has re-energised him as a musician – and given him the opportunity to slot back into the kind of collaborative role he thrives in. He’s more willing to talk about PJ’s record than he is his own.

"The concerts have just been amazing," he says, suddenly rather serious. "I can honestly say that the recent shows with Polly have been the most challenging and rewarding thing I’ve done as a musician playing in a band situation for a long time. What’s required of me is very challenging up there, all the singing that’s on the album, we’re just singing all night, us guys. I think the last four songs of the set, as it was recently, I sang all those songs from start to finish. With the last one I sang the first verse myself, and the other ones I’m singing with Polly in unison through the whole song. And playing piano and stuff – and I’m like, fumble-fingers…"

It quickly becomes apparent that there’s a lot of Mick Harvey, both personal and musical, in Let England Shake. He and Polly Jean researched it together ("we went on trips to the Imperial War Museum and places in Australia") for a start. I ask if the album’s focus on the Anglo-Australian Gallipoli campaign is a reflection of the two Harveys’ respective nationalities, but he’s generally unconvinced by the idea that the record is about specific national identities at all, interestingly:

"Certainly the English press have taken a very strong angle about it being English, but I think what’s important is that she’s speaking out of the voices of other people, really, and using them to get to universal ideas about patriotism and nation. I think she found the [Anglo-Australian] connection by coincidence, it’s kind of incidental that she used things about Gallipoli – they were simply the things that gave her an avenue into the ideas. That gave her strong feelings about the things she could adopt and write about."

This quality of insight is, undoubtedly, the product of a form of partnership that goes far beyond two like-minded musicians simply playing their instruments together. But then, collaboration is Mick’s life’s work. Despite the fact that we’re supposed to be talking about his new solo record, he keeps repeating "I’m not normally a songwriter," and so I figure I might as well try to get to the heart of what it is about collaboration that so catalyses his musical energies. Not an easy question to answer, apparently."

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4142 ... vey?ticker

Thanks sanvean. I like his solo clips on there. I always think Mick has the look of a man with a cheeky thought just moments away.

There's enough mentions of Mr. Cave here to satisfy mart as well! :-)

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:33 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
^ yea well satisfied, plenty off aussie talk & no mention of him, bout bloody time :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 pm 

Great show by Mick tonight. No other current PJ band members to be seen but there was a former one - Rob Ellis, he played drums on several songs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:37 am 

cover of "Home Is Far from Here" on June 5, 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckkkfj9XK3o

Mick is on a mini-tour now:
http://www.mickharvey.com/tour_dates.php

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 am 

May 12 Bulli Heritage
May 13 Sydney Oxford Art Factory
May 21 Melbourne Toff in Town
June 04 Istanbul Tamirane
June 05 London XOYO
June 08 Turin Spazio 211
June 09 Bologna Teatrino Degli Illusi
June 11 Cagliari Teatro Sociale
June 13 Berlin Festsaal Kreuzberg
June 16 Köln Stadtgarten
August 19 Brisbane GOMA

Wow this man is really working hard inbetween tours! :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:59 am 

In this article about a Nick Cave tribute at a music/football (soccer) event(???) in Melbourne there is a video interview with Mick Harvey. Towards the end he mentions his touring schedule with Polly, two weeks at the beginning of September and ...... two weeks at the end of October. Unfortunately he didn't shed any light on where the October dates would be.

http://www.undercover.fm/news/15023-nic ... munity-cup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:07 am 

Location: I live in a town called Millhaven. It's small and it's mean and it's cold.
I saw Mick at XOYO.

He was very good as was the support act Gemma Ray.

Very small club venue but a great intimate performance as a result.