It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:59 am 

olivier101 wrote:
People who want a repetition of her last tour (or any other) well, should've been there when it was time.

Hmm, that sounds slightly disdainful. Nice.

It's not about people just wanting to hear everything as it was before. I like the new record a lot and love that she's touring it.
It's about people not wanting to pay an awful lot of money (her most expensive tickets in Paris, solo show excluded) for seeing someone they love not saying a single word, not moving at all during the concert, staying far from her band, far from the audience, playing things with an obvious lack of spontaneity and not giving the slightest bonus to the 2,000 people who paid to hear her.
It's not really what I, myself, think, but what I read on the French forum for instance, or what I heard when I left the Olympia. Someone said "is that a mass or what ??" I like the idea :green:

I just don't like her attitude on this tour. Feels like creating a character, a bit too forced. The record is good and the show was not bad obviously. It's just, she can do better. Now, the world is not gonna end for this reason...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 am 

elsinore wrote:
olivier101 wrote:
People who want a repetition of her last tour (or any other) well, should've been there when it was time.
Hmm, that sounds slightly disdainful. Nice.

That was not at all how I meant it, sorry. I've missed a lot of good stuff myself, but I won't be asking for it forever at PJ's gigs.

It seems to me that for the most part what people don't like about the new set, is that it's different from the past ones.
For example, she's standing apart from the band. This is obviously a choice from her, she has chosen to do so and it has a meaning. Is this better, is this worse? Neither! It just fits better the atmosphere she wants to create. Don't forget the tour is about the latest album, and I think that fits perfectly.
Oh and she's not chatty... yes of course it's nice when she talks and interacts with the crowd, but this is also a decision from her part, and I hope it's not how you judge a concert.
And there was no second encore... I would have loved that too! but will you hold it against her? I don't.

What I'm saying is: just see this gig for what it was, and that's a bloody great concert!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 pm 

she could change the order of the songs at least...
anyway.... I can't wait to see her in Italy, because after all there is always a new emotion watching her performing live

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:38 pm 

RickMoretti wrote:

would that really make a better show?
RickMoretti wrote:
anyway.... I can't wait to see her in Italy, because after all there is always a new emotion watching her performing live

Indeed!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:35 pm 

I know what you mean about her not moving about. I saw her on the second night in Berlin and I loved it but wished she moved more. But I wonder if you can move around much with an Autoharp strapped on? She tends to move a lot when she's not playing an instrument. I also wish she would talk between the songs. In Berlin she did, because they made a mistake, I liked that and I think other people did too, I mean we didn't mind the mistake because it made the show feel special. About the same setlist, I guess they don't imagine that people will follow them around from show to show, and maybe there's a limit to the number of songs they can learn at once to play on the particular instruments they have with them . I'm not a musician though so I don't really know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm 

I understand the gripes, however she is playing 21 songs (or less if you count the shows were she left out Big Exit and Meet Ze Monsta). 22 would be nice yes but I'm empathetic with her. We'll probably get longer sets when she tours later in the year; I have a feeling that the band is just getting into their groove with these shows.

(But y'all should be thankful she's playing near you because, from the looks of it, I'm going to have to pay out of my ass to see her.) ;)

olivier101 wrote:
RickMoretti wrote:

would that really make a better show?

I think it could. If she thematically changed the set to flow better, it would probably less evident that the encores seem lacking. And moving tracks like Bitter Branches and Big Exit to the beginning of the set would get the ball rolling quicker.

But I respect her choices and she probably knows a hell of a lot better than I do. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:24 pm 

I don't get all this disappointment
You were already very lucky, Oh my french cousins, whit three gig in a month
so don't bother us

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:28 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
she's never been overly chatty to the audience, with the rare exception of course. I've seen her a dozen times or so & it's lovely when she does smile & "have a chat" to us but we shouldn't go expecting it :???:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 pm 

I can't understand these complaints either. The show was very intense, emotional and definitively worth the 200 km trip and return the same night.

btw: I was a little surprised to see her older songs like "Down by the Water" oder "Big Exit" receiving far more enthusiastic cheers than her newer songs. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:05 pm 

if I may...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1010&p=12025#p12025

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 pm 

The Dancer wrote:
I can't understand these complaints either. The show was very intense, emotional and definitively worth the 200 km trip and return the same night.

btw: I was a little surprised to see her older songs like "Down by the Water" oder "Big Exit" receiving far more enthusiastic cheers than her newer songs. Is this normal?

As far as the older work I feel it is emotional nostalgia. I don't get the criticisms as a fan of hers.

I would be delighted if she dropped all the older songs (except the ones that really fit).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 am 

revenire wrote:
The Dancer wrote:

As far as the older work I feel it is emotional nostalgia. I don't get the criticisms as a fan of hers.

I would be delighted if she dropped all the older songs (except the ones that really fit).

unfortunately I cannot agree with you on the last point, especially since hearing "The River" performed recently has made me very keen on hearing her play the entire ITD album - though I know that she won't, obviously, I cannot help but feel the desire. :wink:

but I fully agree that the current setlist should be respected as a coherent concert composition and fans who complain appear to lack an appreciation for what we may describe as Polly's thematic motivation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:44 am 

^HearHear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:54 pm 

olivier101 wrote:
I had a 4 hours drive home after the show so I didn't hang around (save for shaking Pollyphoniac's hand...)

you may recall that I had some trouble remembering that we had met for the first time in London (which is what you told me). but I was thinking of the last tour (in 2009) and had no memory of you at Shepherd's Bush. it was only after you left that I realized it was in 2007 (at the Royal Festival Hall) that we met. so you were right. (though I did see you in Manchester a few months earlier, as you were sitting on the train from the airport just across the aisle from my seat and facing in my direction. but that was before I knew what you look like. it was kind of a pity, as we were already in touch by e-mail yet didn't recognize each other on that train.)

olivier101 wrote:
I think that all the not-so-enthusiastic comments come from comparison with her previous sets, which is of course not how you should see this one. If you manage to forget all the past tours, this set is brilliant! Her voice is incredible, the songs from LES have so much more dimension live, and the band is simply legendary! (BTW, I nearly bumped into the 3 while walking out of the parking, told myself "wow this guy looks like John Parish" before realizing it was him...)

I came very near to John myself, though not realizing until it was too late (for me to talk to him). as I stood in line (outside the Olympia yesterday) I heard how the french girl standing next before me began talking (in english) with somebody who had walked up to her. I was standing with my back towards them and didn't think much of it, until I suddenly turned around and saw John Parish walk away and wave back at her.

olivier101 wrote:
I also loved this concert for another reason: I had never been this close to Polly! All my previous PJ concerts were seated and I hadn't been really lucky with the seat. From the stage setup it was hard to guess where she would stand, but I was glad to see her stand right in front of me :) And because of that it often looked as if she was looking right at me while singing... gave me goosebumps at times :)

thsoe are surely the best moments. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:03 pm 

olivier101 wrote:
I'm in! I can see Clemens, he's with a pretty girl, but he doesn't see me...

she's also a gardener (since a few months ago). it was I who converted her (into Polly-worship) so it was a special pride and joy for me to help bringing her to this concert (her very first PJ show, such a special moment).

Last edited by Pollyphoniac on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.