It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:16 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v1wfh

BBC 6Music had an interesting documentary on 75 years of music sessions at BBC's Maida Vale studios. At 26:03 one of the sound engineers talks about Polly's first session in Studio 3. For those who are rudely shut out by BBC from using their iplayer here it is transcribed:

"And so you’ve got to be very careful to say is this what you want to sound like. Does this sound like you, are we being honest, would you want us to mess it about and some people will say yes or no. But you’ve got to know your limits in what you can impose on people. And I suppose in the one sense where we came a cropper with PJ Harvey’s first session. We were in studio 3, the moment we heard her we thought blimey she’s going to be great, absolutely brilliant. So much so when she came into the control to listen I very stupidly said gosh I could imagine you, you know playing a big stadium, in Wembley and all that. And the moment I said that I knew I’d said the wrong thing. But okay we came to the mix, the producer and I decided this is a really brilliant band, we ought to give them .... just go to town on it, so we went to town on it and they were listening and we kept turning around and saying are you sure, are you happy with what we’re doing. Yes we’re very happy with what you’re doing. You’re absolutely sure. Yes we’re very absolutely sure, we’re happy with what you’re doing. A week later I get a phone from the main producer, who says have you still got the multi track of that tape. I say no it was about 8, 10 days ago it’s very likely been wiped because we didn’t keep tapes as such, we went over tapes. Ah hmm um. I said why. Well they don’t like your mix, they feel it doesn’t sound like them. They ended up doing big events, Glastonbury and all that and if you listen to some of their sounds, they were pretty close to what we were doing at that point, but they weren’t ready for it."