It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:19 am 

I was googling PJ Harvey to check to see if she'd posted more tour dates and I came upon this:
ANIMAL rights activist PETA thinks it can call on all manner of celebrities to support its publicity stunts.

But what if a celebrity doesn't want to toe the PETA line? Well, they can expect a tongue lashing.

British rock star PJ Harvey (right) has infuriated animal rights campaigners after confessing she castrated farmyard lambs while growing up on a farm.

PETA lashed out at the rocker saying anyone who abused animals in that way should be locked up.

This bothered me a lot. I have a huge problem with PETA for certain reasons. Polly said this like twenty years ago, its not new; and you do that sort of stuff when you live on a farm. I don't think she specifically meant castrating in that way, she meant neutering them. This is why I like the SPCA better, I volunteered there two weeks ago and got to bathe puppies and pet every cat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 am 

That was so last century. Give it a rest PETA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 am 

How sick of PETA. Farm work evil? Please.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 am 

That interview was quite funny :)
PETA are integrists, and like integrists of all kinds they have long lost their own purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 am 

This is really sad. I always feel ashamed when I read something like this. Animal rights is something that I find quite important, too and in fact I try to avoid buying/using animal products, too (I am like 90% vegan). However, animal rights activists like the people from PETA or hardcore vegans or other more radical groups seem to be more interested in creating a sort of own "elite race" that totally isolates itself from the society and blames everyone to be a lesser human being who don't exactly follow their rules and share their views, rather than really trying to help improving the situation about animal exploitation. This only makes the people even more indifferent about things like the bad conditions in factory farming because they get the impression that all veg(etari)ans all missionaries and psychopaths.

Kueken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 pm 

Its frustrating isn't it - especially when you can see this is all the work of some lazy journalist who picked through the interview with John Harris (Mojo?) and then rang Peta to ask for a reaction. They react as expected and that somehow turns into news. They probably haven't even heard of PJ Harvey or read the interview. Even stupider, she was talking about a smallholding, possibly the kindest and most humane way to farm animals. I think these articles are best ignored (if you can) because they are trying to create a scandal where there is none, and its shocking when you think they are supposed to actually be reporting what's going on in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 pm 

I read a few months go that PETA end up putting down about 90% of the animals they "save", as they don't have the money to look after them. They spend all that on making their name heard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm 

somme wrote:
I read a few months go that PETA end up putting down about 90% of the animals they "save", as they don't have the money to look after them. They spend all that on making their name heard.

Yes, they spend all their money on making TV spots with Pamela Anderson and other pointless things.

Kueken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm 

Kueken wrote:
somme wrote:

Yes, they spend all their money on making TV spots with Pamela Anderson and other pointless things.

Kueken

YES, exactly. PETA is such a crock these days. I appreciate that they try to raise awareness, but they do it in such an attention-whorey way. And as the OP pointed out, the SPCA and other similar like organizations do it a lot better.

Faceplace • El Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 am 

I personally care deeply for animal rights because of all the joy and happiness animals have brought me in my life. PETA is such a joke. I'm all for shutting down puppy mills and stopping the fur trade, but PETA could be doing so much better to help the animals in the world!
They devote so much time and money for adds telling the public that fur= bad (which we've known for decades now) instead of working to stop the fur trade at its source. And when you live on a farm you do this sort of stuff, I know so many people that live on farms. There shouldn't be anything wrong with spaying and neutering animals, but PETA could argue that humans even having contact with animals is morally wrong and that we shouldn't own pets. I personally would never just set my cat into the wild (he's way to dumb and loving to survive). The SPCA is does so much more for animals than PETA.