It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

I heard somewhere that Pink refers to Rid of Me in a new song but I haven't had time to verify...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 pm 

^ ~Gags~!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Admin

:lol: Yes but - PJ penetrates the main stream!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 pm 

She certainly has had a profound impact on today's music scene....The good...the bad...and the UGLY!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:45 pm 

Nice Florence Welch saying she wish she had written anything by Polly.
here at 1:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohgAcIfU ... re=related

Sorry if this was already posted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:03 am 

No, that's a very welcome entry. I'm still working on the other quotes. =)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 pm 

I really like Florence and her work

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:03 am 

Can someone confirm how Amy Lee from Evanescence is fan of PJ, and if there's a quote or something?

(Not sure if you guys are going to throw tomatoes at me but I love Evanescence <3 XD hahhaa)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:44 am 

^ That truly is dispicable! haha. I'm still working on the list, I'll get to her eventualy. I read that she cited PJ as an influence in a very old article that I will have to try and locate again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:51 pm 

Thanks and sorry for my terrible taste but I really do love Ev
hahahaha XD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 pm 

Steve Ansell and Laura-Mary Carter pick Polly to be the singer in their ideal band - just after 4 minutes here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQgITpsOZQ

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:11 pm 

Christian "Flake""Lorenz(Rammstein): "I like to listen to Einstürzende Neubauten, Die ärzte, Element of crime, Colplay, Placebo, Johnny Cash, PJ Harvey, System of a Down, Ministry, Prodigy"

Kelli Dayton(Sneaker Pimps): " I just want to put some beauty and romance back into the world. With other young artists and young people in the world, I don't see a lot of optimism and romance right now in their music. Even PJ Harvey and other artists I respect have a lot of negativity."

Keli Dayton(Sneaker Pimps): "then there's The Lumieres a Brummy punk band weaned on a diet of The Pixies, The Cramps, Sonic Youth and P.J. Harvey and featuring the extraordinary vocals and songwriting talents of Kelli Dayton.
Dave and Joe complete the line-up and the diverse influences to provide live drums and bass."

Pink(!!!!!!!!! =[ She leaves me dry!)" A homage to one of Pink's Idol's PJ Harvey occurs in the track "Heartbreak Down"

Pink: " PJ Harvey was one of my first records I ever bought.”

Nelly Furtado(=[ ) : "I want Polly to win the mercury prize. I saw her at shepherds bush and she is a very strong and underated performer and she should get more recognition"

Shakira( =() Gasp!) : "Shakira likes PJ Harvey"

Jennifer Lopez(Seems to get worse and worse!) "Has stated that she likes listening to PJ Harvey on her website"

Jamie Cullum: "I love rock music, of Kings or Leon, Sonic Youth till PJ Harvey. Hiphop of Jurassic 5, Public Enemy and Q-Tip can have awful value. "

Jamie Cullem: "Cullum's mulling over tackling PJ Harvey and Bjork for his next record"

Jamie Cullem: "I'm really looking forward to the show. Especially PJ Harvey! She's my favourite! (Glastonbury 2004)

Coldplay: "The band had been listening to a much varied array of music since "Parachutes" had taken on the whirlwind tour of the world. German rockers Rammstein(who the band befriended , PJ Harvey, Tom Waits the hardcore At The Drive-In and the rather obscure The Blind Boys of Alabama, plus older albums by The Cure and Rolling Stones were all regulars on the Coldplay turntable"

Coldplay: "We were really getting into things like P.J Harvey and Muse – things with a bit more energy”

Coldplay: "'We've grown up a bit, travelled a lot more, met so many people. Musically too, we've heard more: the Bunnymen, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, New Order...the last two years, we've been like a cultural sponge. We've sucked it all in and now it's coming out on this record. "

Coldplay: "We walk on. Martin talks about all the brilliant people he's met in the past couple of years. He explains how sweet Kylie(Yick!) is, how encouraging PJ Harvey was"

Coldplay: "Chris" -What songs have helped get you through the tough times in your life?
"Stories From the City, Stories from The Sea - PJ Harvey (The whole album)"

Coldplay(Chris Martin): "In our studio, there are pictures on the wall of our favorite artists. I can see Mozart, Jay-Z, Gershwin, PJ Harvey, E.E. and Björk."

Bush: "The late 1980s brought The Pixies, Big Black, PJ Harvey, then the whole grunge thing a while later, then the slacker thing. I really liked Pavement. I could go on and on about influences!”

Bush: "What are some of your favourite English based bands? "Wire, some of the punk bands
The Stranglers
Massive Attack
Elvis Costello, I've got every bloody record he ever made
PJ Harvey...
Jimi Hendrix.. he was really English, ya know, the Stones,John Cale.. Beatles..

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): " Growing up and listening to the Pixies and whether it was, like, having Big Black records or Rapeman records, and then he made that great Rid of Me record with Polly [PJ Harvey]…it was just such a crazy idea to go in and get Steve."

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): "i'm on my bus waiting to play tonight's show.listening to pj harvey right now and before that it was the waterboys-i found an old video of them on my friend;'s page." (from his blog)

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): "The thing is the elements that we have taken from nirvana are no differnt from the ones that nirvana took from the pixies.In fact i probably took more from the pixies then nirvana,I took stuff from Jane's addiction, and i also like the jesus and mary chain and PJ harvey.I liked a lot of english bands like swervedriver and my bloody valentine.There's a much wider palette then people give us credit for it's just lazy journlism.You can't survive for as long as we have and play to as many people without having some merit.People won't keep coming back just to see a pale version of nirvana, that's stupid."

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): "Both Nick Cave and Polly Harvey are also favourites. "Nick Cave had that smack-soaked, debauched history with The Birthday Party, but then he went on to make beautiful solo records like Your Funeral, My Trial and The Boatman's Call. I find them much more listenable than the Birthday Party, who I missed out on at the time. As for Polly Harvey, I like all her records, but Rid of Me is my favourite." Does he know her? "No. I've been in the same room as her, and heard about her through our producer Steve Albini. She probably thinks I'm scum."

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): "The last album I bought was Sebadoh. Oh yeah. And the Folk Implosion. Oh and you know what I did get, which is great because I used to have it on record, was the Scream by Siouxsie & The Banshees. Which was really a seminal record for me growing up. I saw it on CD and I've only ever had it on scratchy record. It's really good fun to hear it. Jane's Addiction is heavily based on Siouxsie & the Banshees. I love hearing all the guitar stuff; it sounds like Polly Harvey. I love Jane's Addiction, they are one of my favorite bands. "

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): "It seems like a good time to find out which musicians inspired
and influenced their popular brand of melody driven rock."Gavin: "Jesus Lizard, Tricky and I think Radiohead are pretty good, also Black Grape. Guitar players were Hendrix, Neil Young, Mick Jones
from The Clash for the corniest guitarist ever; I love Polly Harvey's
playing. Steve Jones who was playing all those Johnny Thunders type
riffs was an influence, very anthemic. Definitely no Yngwie Malmsteen
for me! Otherwise stuff by Killdozer, Television, Pixies, Breeders -
that homemade guitar thing."

Gavin Rossdale: "There is far less connection with us and Oasis than us and some American bands. Which is fine by me over the last 10 years apart from PJ Harvey there haven't been that much good stuff for me personally from here(Billboard 95)

Gwen Stefani: "That album was so strong it was scary" said the No Doubt frontwoman"(On to bring you my love)

The Strokes: "The strokes listening to PJ Harvey's Good Fortune"

The Strokes: " The Strokes caught PJ Harvey's rehearsal"

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:35 am 

amazing guitarist Marnie Stern cites PJ as influence

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... nie-stern/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 am 

love marnie stern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:29 am 

This thread is amazing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 44  Next