It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 pm 

Natasha Khan (Bat For Lashes):

"I think it freaks people out because I've got no makeup on, there's no retouching. It's super-raw and wild and black and white. But that's what Patti Smith did, that's what PJ Harvey did, that's what all the coolest people have done, from my icons anyway."

http://www.spinner.com/2012/10/08/bat-f ... unted-man/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 am 

"In his brilliant lecture entitled "The Theory and Function of DUENDE", Frederico Garcia Lorca attempts to shed some light on the eerie and inexplicable sadness that lives in the heart of certain works of art. "All that has dark sounds has duende", he says, "that mysterious power that everyone feels but no philosopher can explain." In contemporary rock music, the area in which I operate, music seems less inclined to have it ́s soul, restless and quivering, the sadness that Lorca talks about. Excitement, often; anger, sometimes; but true sadness, rarely. Bob Dylan has always had it. Leonard Cohen deals specifically in it. It pursues Van Morrison like a black dog and though he tries to he cannot escape it. Tom Waits and Neil Young can summon it. It haunts Polly Harvey."

- Nick Cave

Original source: http://sfd.at/english/texts/lovesong.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 pm 

Laura-Mary Carter (Blood Red Shoes):

First Breakup Album: PJ Harvey – Rid Of Me

Ooh I’ve got a few… but I think PJ Harvey’s Rid Of Me is one of the records I’ve listened to most when I’ve been heartbroken, It’s so angry! I love it.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features ... -Red-Shoes

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm 

Matt Gold:

Edwards-Stout: Musically, who are some of your favorites?

Gold: The Cure, Tori Amos, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Billie Holiday, Vince Guaraldi, Nina Simone. I gravitate toward music which is happy in tone but lyrically is more layered. If you listen to Billie Holiday, for example, she sounds so upbeat, but you realize that there is a space within that is aching to be filled. So much of what she sings about is lost love, and I completely understand that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kergan-ed ... 53616.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm 

Richard Fortus (Guns and Roses, Thin Lizzy):

'Oh it’s been awhile. Probably like PJ Harvey – she’s so good – or the Pixies. I love those songs so much.'

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/5 ... -tats.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 pm 

Nigel Powell, drummer for Frank Turner.

On Twitter. Complimenting Rob Ellis on his drumming for 'Dry' and 'Rid of Me' albums; so, sort of admiring Polly too.

'Dry and Rid Of Me are two of my most inspirational drumming records. Rob Ellis @spleneticellis awes me. Him and Phil Collins 73-87. Wow.'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm 

Aluna Francis of AlunaGeorge:

'Meanwhile, Francis has namechecked esoteric talents such as the Knife, CocoRosie and PJ Harvey as influences on her vocals – into what Francis succinctly describes as "fat beats with songs on top".'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... lunageorge

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:31 pm 

Thom Yorke(Dazed&Confused mag 2013)

RYAT: WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE FEMALE ARTIST OF ALL TIME?

Thom: I've got two - it's still Bjork and Polly (PJ Harvey). That's my generation. I still obsess about White Chalk, PoIly's (2007) album. Their records changed my life. Just everything about them. I couldn't pick it apart, but they resonate for me on an emotional level.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:15 pm 

Laura Mary Carter and Steve Ansell, of Blood Red Shoes, on 'Rid of Me' album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42jF6X6OO5M

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 pm 

Earl Slick (Thanks to @MickEFlip on Twitter):

'#EarlSlick would like to tour with a different guest fronting in whatever city they're at. He actually names #PJHarvey.'

Edit:

'It’s something that I would really, really like to do where it’s more a personal interactive thing with the audience, cause Mark Hudson does the Lennon stuff great and then Michael Houghton does the rock stuff and then with me and Johansen the bluesier stuff, and every show I want to try and be able to, and this is something that we’re working out, get like a guest. For instance, in LA, let’s say we’re there and Johnny Depp is there and we bring Johnny Depp in for the night or my buddy Mick Mars and have these guys come up and sit in for four or five songs. If I’m in Nashville or something if Jack White worked out, you know what I mean. I’d love to get like PJ Harvey, maybe Siouxsie Sioux. So in each city there would be a special guest in there that would come up and do like five or six songs with us.'

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/5 ... bowie.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:47 pm 

Scroobius Pip (posted on Twitter):

'I once saw Vincent Gallo perform Moon River with John Frusciante on guitar & PJ Harvey joining him on vocals. It was amazing.'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 am 

Old tweets I found doing a search:

Liz Phair: "belatedly getting into PJ Harvey's superb "let England shake"

Jessica Origliasso( the Veronicas): "drinking a glass of PJ Harvey with my lunch"

Paula Cole: "I'm a big PJ Harvey fan"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:52 pm 

From Spin's interview of Yeah Yeah Yeahs (April 2013):

"With the band's 10-year anniversary still fresh, the past loomed large when the threesome started work on Mosquito. "I had some serious nostalgia for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in the early 2000s," Karen tells me over a fennel-cucumber salad and lamb meatballs. She's dressed merely casually insane on this mild February night, wearing a green-and-white-diamond sweater over a leopard shirt, strands of her stick-straight blond hair still standing at attention after removing a sizeable fur hat. "I had some nostalgia for why I fell in love with the idea of performing in the first place. Frontmen like Jon Spencer and Lux Interior, and PJ Harvey. Strong, fun people who ignite some sort of fantasy with their charisma and the sexuality."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 am 

Ludovico Einaudi:

“I have always been interested in those composers who were in touch with popular music – Stravinsky, Bartok, Prokofiev, Berio, Glass. I also love African music and have collaborated with some amazing musicians. I also think that PJ Harvey is a very interesting artist.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... -33145219/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm 

Lady Gaga:

"I'm going to ask you a question I've asked a few other artists: if you finish this album and feel it's the greatest album you've ever made, could you bury it somewhere and know that no one is ever going to hear it, but still feel artistically satisfied?"

"No! No way!

"So far only one artist has said they could do that and feel satisfied"

"Whatever artist said that to you is lying"

"I'll tell you who said yes. It was PJ Harvey, and I think I believe her"

"I would believe PJ Harvey. But you know, to be totally honest - and I don't like saying anything bad
About other artists at all-but I will say hypothetically, any artist that's on a record label and tells you they are not interested in fame is lying"

Mike Patton played 'Crawl Home' the other morning when he guest programmed rage.

Klaus Flouride(Dead Kennedys): "But there are exceptions and they do make it to either a major point or at least make a living and still are innovative and have their own sound. Think over the past few years of (and I know these are obvious, but to make a point) White Stripes, The Black Keys, The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, P.J. Harvey etc, that fall under the label of indie. But the word "indie" wasn't there when the term "Punk" caught on. Punk when it started (whenever that is depending on who you talk to, but for the sake of example let’s use the mid to late 70’s) was very diverse. Everything from Ramones and Sex Pistols to Pere Ubu, Joy Division, The Fleshtones and Magazine were included."

Laura Mary Carter:

"If you could work with a guest vocalist, who would you choose?"
Oh man that’s difficult, there’s a lot of singers that I love. I’d probably go PJ Harvey. She’s one of our favorite artists of all time and she’s one of the only musicians where I’ve bought every record without fail.

"love that woman as well, her last album, Let England Shake was simply awesome."
Yeah but you know what, I’m one of the people who loved the one before it as well. A lot of people didn’t really dig White Chalk but I thought it was really beautiful.

"Yeah it’s beautiful but I guess it’s also really toned down and I love the rocking PJ Harvey stuff."
Yeah, I think it was kind of too creepy for some people. My favorite PJ album is Rid of Me coos it’s just balls out, big guitars and lots of rocking, that’s the one that does it for me every time."

Beth Ditto: "Besides your own stuff, what do you listen to? What’s on your iPod right now?"
BD: Ha! We never listen to our own stuff! I probably should! I forget what’s on Gossip albums sometimes. Lil Wayne is always on repeat over here. The last PJ Harvey album, Usher. Any old’ era of Usher. I’ve been hitting the Judee Sill pretty hard and Elliott Smith lately as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 44  Next