It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 am 

Carole Pope: "Considering that Pope was the original Queen Of Raunch, what is here opinion of latter day sex sirens like Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga?

“Miley Cyrus, give me a break!, she drains the word sex right out of sexuality,” fumes Pope. “There is nothing erotic about her. She just leaves it all out there. And as for Lady Gaga, she is talented but derivative. This dumbing down of Gay society by calling everyone `Her Little Monsters’ is a bit much.”

Pope admits that she is very picky about what she likes but is a huge fan of P.J Harvey and Amy Winehouse.
“Both of these two project eroticism purely through their voices,” noted Pope."

Martina Topley Bird: "No more heroines “Aretha Franklin is probably the last great singer and it all comes from her church upbringing… No other people come through and the reason is that we don’t raise people with a strong sense of community and fighting (for recognition), to a certain extent: people are packaged too soon. The pressure to be part of a wave to be commodity, kids are inspired to be in a
boy-band and earn a lot of money, get all the girls… Talent is not important, it is enough to be driven.

“Some people do come through and there are contemporary people who are inspiring, like PJ Harvey; in spirit, her first couple of albums, there are also some R&B singers… But, we’ll have to wait and see who (and if some of them) will become socially important as the legends.”

Nelson(New Model Army): "Musically, I like stuff like p.j harvey, Underworld, Spooky, Nick Cave, Captain Beefheart, KLF, Bonzo Dog Band - I don't really listen to pop music, I suppose I like what the media calls "alternative" music, stuff that's interesting, different, creative. That's why I'm in New Model Army! I listen to a real lot of music, it's part of my everyday life."

Brian Molko: "She was a huge influence as a writer of songs. What I was drawn to especially is the fragility and the emotional nudity that exists in her songs. This was something fierce and I was upset. PJ harvey is a goddess. She is incredibly amazing. small and huge at the same time."

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 pm 

Justin Sullivan(New Model Army): "And there’s millions of others… I buy anything that Josh Homme does whether its good or bad and it’s both. It’s the same with Polly Harvey actually. Killing Joke, Neil Young is another one. I buy what they do not because it’s always good cos it isn’t always good but it’s always really interesting. And always genuine, it’s always the real thing."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:09 pm 

From the BBC and Brits organisation:

Sophie Ellis-Bextor has said her favourite performance at The Brits was Polly and Bjork's.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:44 am 

Lizzy Hale of Halestorm on Instagram
PJ Harvey, with a style all her own, she was one of only a handful of voices for her generation. I always find myself in an otherworldly state of mind when I listen to her albums

http://instagram.com/p/k5QKR1I33M/#

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:18 pm 

Steve Ansell of Blood Red Shoes. (On Twitter yesterday, answering questions from fans):

'favourite PJ harvey album is rid of me, i'll never get over that one. but they're all killer especially the first 4 or 5'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 am 

Laura-Mary Carter and Steve Ansell of Blood Red Shoes again.

Safe to say they are big fans of Polly. They mention her so often in interviews.

Say they would love to play with Polly. At the 3:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDk9KKuwtw

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:31 am 

Courtney Love in an interview with Pitchfork http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... tney-love/

I like her and I love Hole but her view of music is totally off for me.

Quote:
Pitchfork: In what way would you hope these younger female artists are inspired by your music and personality?

CL: I'd hope they achieve some sort of mainstream success, so people start picking up instruments again. Because there is a reward for it. The beauty of the Nirvana moment was that it was a band succeeding on their own terms. The White Stripes have done really well on their own terms, and Jack White hasn't had to make a note out of place. I was inspired seeing Queens of the Stone Age had a #1 record in the U.S. I think commercial success is really important. It means there are more people listening, and you're affecting the zeitgeist more. If only a hundred people know you exist, it's harder to get your message across. Mainstream success is important—that's probably anathema to an indie publication like Pitchfork, but it's what I believe having experienced it personally.
There's something to be said for being PJ Harvey, too, where you can have a consistent cult following that stays with you, and you can do whatever you want. But early PJ Harvey is still what inspires me and makes me know I'm not there yet. I always knew she was better than me, and I liked that. I like knowing that there is somebody who is a better guitar player, who had it down lyrically, and kicked my ass all over town. That moment with PJ Harvey's first five records—up to White Chalk, and then I don't understand anymore. I mean, I get it: She's on a trajectory that's "cool." But I don't understand. Where is the rock? I need the rock.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 pm 

^ Courtney, I think you'll get the "rock" you're so desperately seeking if you bang your head against a wall. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:07 pm 

Author Bret Anthony Johnston:

Were there particular books that inspired you? Or any other art forms?

Most everything I’ve written is, I think, an attempt to come close to PJ Harvey’s album “To Bring You My Love.” I’m proud to fail every time. At least with this one, I used her lyrics as the epigraph. I’m getting closer

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/13/bret_an ... vey_album/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:24 pm 

James Holden:

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

'In terms of being a great work to put on a pedestal, this is the one from [PJ Harvey's] work. Also the little things: the production, the stylistic aspects, there are no bad signifiers in this one, whereas the older ones sound perhaps just the tiniest bit of-their-era in some of the things they did. But this one is just perfect in every respect, it's daunting how perfect it is. I'm not really a lyrics person on the whole, but lyrically this one I just find really affecting. Everything is tied together; the instrumentation, the style of singing, the melody, all tying in with the lyrics and what she's talking about. There's nothing extraneous in it, even the weirder bits, the bits with other music playing sort of in-key over the middle of tracks - it's brave in how it goes all-out in creating a sonic world and painting a picture. Very heart on sleeve, isn't it, compared to a lot of music I like. She put this out when The Inheritors was almost finished but not released in any way, and I was a bit sad, like 'Oh, she's done a record about England, and it's better than my record about England!' [laughs]. Oh well, never mind.'

http://thequietus.com/articles/15444-ja ... ms?page=13

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 pm 

Courtney Love:

She said: ‘I listen to other artists who are better than me and try to be competitive with them.

‘Competition really drives me. I need to crush them. There’s this great PJ Harvey song I just heard called The Last Living Rose and I read it on the page and it’s like a beautiful song, it’s a little Shakespearean. The first line starts off ‘goddam Europeans’ and I thought “why didn’t I think of that?”.

‘That’s really good for me to see someone better than me. I listen to songs I wish I wrote.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/cannesl ... Grohl.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 am 

I Miss PJ Harvey: Sky Ferreira twitter
https://twitter.com/skyferreira/status/481778480754212864

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 pm 

Sharon Van Etten, on Twitter today, when asked who her favourite artists was:

'nick cave and pj harvey! Two best ever.'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:31 am 

sau wrote:
Sharon Van Etten, on Twitter today, when asked who her favourite artists was:

'nick cave and pj harvey! Two best ever.'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:25 am 

more from Sharon van Etten -
Essential Albums - Dry http://www.chartattack.com/features/201 ... -classics/

It’s the obvious influence, I guess. But she’s always dancing to her own way and from record to record she always changes. The song “Water” is still the soundtrack to my life. That build getting released and exploding when she gets to the chorus...it’s always gratifying. It’s one that I keep turning back to.

The one that I listen to that was my intro to PJ Harvey was Rid of Me.

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me (4-track Demos)
I heard the demos first and hearing the rawness of them and then hearing it interpreted as a band always intrigued me, when I was still solo and thinking about getting a band together one day. You could still pull off your own sound while having other people help you flesh it out. [It’s] really working with people that understand your music, understand how it is to be a singer and that you’re to hang back and show restraint while also encouraging me to where I’m never buried, but the band behind me is pushing me to rock out or let go, [and] letting go with me. There’s no imbalance there. You don’t want to work with people who don’t get you, and I’ve been lucky enough to be surrounded by people who do.

Angus Andrew of Liars http://thequietus.com/articles/15020-li ... ms?page=11
PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
Is This Desire? exemplifies for me some of the things I admire the most about music and the artists who make it. PJ Harvey fearlessly pushes the boundaries of what she had, up until this point, been known for. Where before she'd garnered acclaim for her kind of tough guitar-driven rock she now set that aside and completely opened up to an entirely different palette of sounds and moods. Of course I'm a huge fan of To Bring You My Love but somehow Is This Desire? remains just as powerful, yet feels so completely gut-wrenchingly sensitive. I had already admired the incredible production of her work with Flood on To Bring You My Love - particularly the bass sounds, but Is This Desire? kind of kicked this into overdrive. I distinctly remember turning to someone when listening to the track 'My Beautiful Leah' and asking, "How on earth do I make that sound?". It's really the first time I can remember as a musician wanting to try and exactly emulate a sound I heard on a record. Interestingly, to this day I don't think I've ever been able to achieve that sound. It might actually require calling up Mick Harvey, John Parish or some of the other great players on this album and begging them for the real scoop.

Beyond mere bass sounds the album makes use of drum machines, strings and keys in such a kind of limitless investigation of possibilities. It really feels like someone exploring their sonic potential by utilising the courage of experimentation. I've remained a staunch supporter of PJ Harvey and though I won't say with certainty that the other of her albums have affected me as much as Is This Desire?, I still completely and utterly appreciate her willingness to experiment and reinvent the way she approaches music and record making. A great example of this is the way she went about making her most recent album Let England Shake where she began writing lyrics before creating the music - much of which was developed with the autoharp. A very fascinating challenge that afforded a completely new way of working. That kind of thing I find really inspiring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next