It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 am 

David Bowie: "I like Tricky, I like PJ Harvey a lot, I think she's fabulous."

David Bowie: "And in Britain, Tricky is wonderful, PJ Harvey is extraordinary. The context and atmosphere of it all is tremendous. I think rock music's got strong legs at the moment. It's really bloody exciting."

David Bowie: "What do you think about doing a colaboration with either Nick Cave or Polly Harvey or Bjork" "We tried once with Polly but it didn't work out. We were going to do a version of "The Man Who Sold The World" but we both had different ideas on what the arrangement should be. It ended friendly enough but I doubt that we will get back together again. - BowieNet Live Chat, Nov 98" (Now that would have been brilliant! Shame it didn't pan out)

Dirty Three: "Play PJ Harvey's "Send His Love To Me" on rage"

Moby: "I've just finished doing a photo shoot with bono and pj harvey. and i have to say that bono and pj are 2 of the nicest people in the whole world. it was a really nice day, made even nicer by the fact that there were no battling egos and no one seemed to take themselves too seriously."

Moby: "on VH1's show "The List", the topic was "Greatest Female Rocker of All Time", Moby was a guest and he nominated PJ Harvey." (1999)

Moby: Plays PJ Harvey's "Send his Love To Me" for his guest appearance on rage"

Thom Yorke: "You sang on P.J. Harvey's last album. Did you contribute in anyway to Horses In My Dreams?" "No, but I wish I had. Isn't that song amazing!"

Thom Yorke: "Yeah, I guess. The Patti Smith thing was going on quite a lot during Polly's sessions. She was very aware of the likeness to the point where she was becoming worried about it. I just told her everything sounded great anyway so she had no need to worry about anything."

Thom Yorke: "When you were first presented with the lyrics of your main duet This Mess We're In, were you ever concerned the media would jump on the words and start publicly speculating that you and Polly were "an item"?" "no, no. Anyway if they had, I think it would have been kind of amusing. (He bursts out laughing.) That would have been great fun."

Thom Yorke: "And regarding Thom Yorke it’s that he is reluctantly successful that comes to my mind first. During the interview he says over and over that he only wants to make his music in peace and perform it for whomever wants to listen, while he sinks into the sofa and becomes very small."]" ""They try and, sort of, find the story that matches, you know? And then they just... they just hammer that story. Even though you don't agree with it. Everything... they'll just write stuff to make it fit, you know? And they've done that to lots and lots of people. They did that to Richey from the Manics. They did that with Kurt Cobain. And eventually, you know, you start to believe stuff. And you just go [undecipherable]. And you follow it around by this person. You go into, like, a bookshop, and they'll have the music biographies and every fucking one of them is, like, commits suicide or, you know... Like the John Lennon section, you know, is horrendous! It's sick, man! You know. And if you try to, sort of, think about it in those terms, then um—you just go absolutely round the bend. What was I going to say? Oh, yeah! And that was the weird thing about um—that was the weird thing... Towards the end of Kid A and Amnesiac, I did the session with Björk, and the session with Polly Harvey... for their records. And um—that's what we talked about... when I met both of them. And it was amazing how um—it was something that's hurt Polly badly for ages. Um—and Björk's had it as well, you know. And Björk's learned to deal with it. And Polly's learned to deal with it. And they've got their ways of dealing with it. It was really inspiring to sort of, you know, see people who've sorted themselves out"

Thom Yorke: " I mean, I suppose... are there any influences that you've held on to, are there any lyricists or writers within rock music that you've always admired and you still admire now? Or has it changed?" "Off the top of my head it's really hard. Tom Waits, Public Enemy, Polly Harvey"

Thom Yorke: "To see his pal, her audience included Radiohead's Thom Yorke" (2004)

Thom Yorke: "in the liner notes to Radiohead's 'Hail To The Thief' there is an acknowledgements list at the back where the band thanks their fellow peers, "To all those who get us out of bed in the morning:", there then follows a list of people which includes Polly Harvey, squashed in-between Michael Stipe and Spike Milligan"

Thom Yorke: "Not to say Yorke is totally unaware of the largely blog-fueled (sorry!) internet beefs involving his band and the likes of Kanye West and Cyrus. In a post today on Radiohead's Dead Air Space blog, the singer wrote out some recent music picks-- PJ Harvey, Matthew Dear, Jaylib-- and then: "wish us all a safe journey if you still like us and you're not one of those people i have managed to offend by doing nothing xx." (2009)

Thom Yorke: "Yorke's playlist on his blog: Download Thom Yorke's playlist, collected by box of boom (MP3)
Cecilia Bartoli - Rinaldo / Act 1 - Aria: Augellette, che cantate
Dabrye - So Scientific
Jaylib - Champion Sound
Matthew Dear - Don and Sherri
Mr. Oizo - Monday Massacre
Nina Simone - Lilac Wine
PJ Harvey - Silence(Hi Polly!)
The Beta Band - Space Beatle
The Bug - You and Me ft.Roger Robinson"

Thom Yorke: "I did sessions with PJ Harvey and Bjork recently and it was great to share experiences, it makes you feel slightly less of a freak and that maybe your motives are really genuine despite the doubting voices in your head all the time. But I don’t feel part of no royal family, I’m here to do my stuff then leave."

Thom Yorke: "One of my favourite records, the only one with guitars which i've listened
to since OK Computer, is her 'Is This Desire?'."

Thom Yorke: "In light of the UK general election, Radiohead's Thom Yorke has posted a playlist on the band's official site.

01. Fun Boy Three - The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum)
02. Massive Attack – Splitting The Atom
03. Matmos – Les Folies Françaises
04. Lady Chan – Sticky Situation (Toddla T & Seiji Mix)
05. Black Lips – Veni Vidi Vici (Diplo Remix)
06. Münchner Philharmoniker & Sergiu Celibidache – Mass In B Minor BWV 232, Credo: Chorus: Et Incarnatus Est Bach Mass In B Minor
07. Mazzy Star – Into Dust
08. PJ Harvey – My Beautiful Leah
09. AFX – Analogue Talk (Claknib)
10. AFX – Backdoor Spyboter A

Phil Selway: " 5. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea: " Oops- Thom again. Oh well, he has worked with some great people the past year. Bastard! (On his top 5 albums of 2000)

Jessicka(Jack Off Jill): "Who are you're influnences?" "Lydia Lunch, Belinda Butcher, Boy George, Kat Bjelland & PJ. Harvey"

Madonna: "When asked which three women she admired most in the world she responded 'Bjork, PJ and Hilary Clinton'."

Madonna: "I love PJ Harvey, too, I think her lyrics are brilliant. She’s real tortured and I’m drawn to people who are tortured. I’m a huge fan of hers " (NME, Dec 95)

Madonna: "Apparently one of the artists that Madonna wanted to sign to here label was PJ Harvey"

Madonna: "At the academy she practically brought the whole audience--which included (gasp!) Madonna--to their knees" (95)

Madonna: "Madonna said she idolises PJ Harvey and Bjork."

Madonna: ""Madonna recently was seen at PJ Harvey's show, promoting her new record "Stories from the city, Stories from the Sea"

Madonna: "Madonna really adores PJ Harvey"

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm 

Whoa...I'm a Bowie completist and I had no idea he was planning a collaboration with Polly! Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 am 

Thankyou for what you are doing, Polly_Jean_Cave.

I like the Bowie quotes.

Imagine being called fabulous and extraordinary by Bowie.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:45 am 

Liars (who are in my opinion one of the very best bands that appeared in the years 2000) quoted My Beautiful Leah quite a few times.

Such as :

PJ Harvey, "My Beautiful Leah": A track which has been personally influential for Angus. There is a bass sound on this track which Angus has tried (and continues to try) to replicate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:12 am 

^ Thank you for that elsinore. I'll add them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 am 

I don't know if it fits this thread, but Yolanda from Die Antwoord bought PJ Harvey's "Rid of me" for some show:
It's on 2:35 mark.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:57 pm 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Well, I suppose I better give you a real explanation as to why I hate Alanis Morisette! Where to start! Um...I think she's majorly pretentious, self indulgent and obnoxious. I find her music to lack any form of coherence, substance, depth or sincerity, and I think her delivery is weak. I think she's far too derivative...lacks any form of authenticity whatsoever. I also find her music boring, homogenic and far too commercial. Her voice is beyond stagnating. And, to sum it all up...I think she (along with many other "riot grrrls" and "mid 90's pained females") is the holy grail of woeful. Haha

i used to be a big fan of hers and this when i was teenager. i think i agree with all u say, adding that she has more to say to teenager minds than to anybody else. also, she have found her formula to sell and this is disgusting, shes always repeating herself and is pathetic. do u know she wrote many songs with the same grudge towards an ex? i mean..... go to theraphy and save us from all the drama, once is good enough move on bitch :D hahaha. she became very lame (but i know ull say she always was, i think i kinda agree, my taste used to be lame hahaha) but im kinda interested in now what she said about pj, coz she became famous being an acessible and lite version of tori amos, i wouldnt be surprised if she starts to murder polly's style :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:30 pm 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Natalie Imbruglia: (....) (I've just got to say that this woman is an idiot and she's definitely contributed to giving Australian pop a bad name!)

i love you!! ahuahuahuah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:52 am 

^
I don't get that
Is that a compliment or an insult?
O_o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:00 am 

^I think head's_bullet maybe...just maybe might agree with me. haha. You'd have to be pretty fucked in the head to like that vacuous little slag. Hahah

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:29 pm 

^ yes is exactly this hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:11 pm 

Steve Ansell (Blood Red Shoes):

'We look up to people like PJ Harvey, Queens of the Stone Age, and Radiohead – bands that took a long time to establish themselves, who have had really long careers, and are bands that have never really been over-exposed, or been over-hyped, trendy, in-your-face bands.'

http://highrotation.ch/2011/01/22/inter ... -29-11-10/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 pm 

Josh Graham(Neurosis): "Who are some music artists that inspire your visual art? Vice versa?" "Music artists that inspire my visual art...Currently - Swans, Sixteen Horsepower & Woven Hand, Kevin Shields, PJ Harvey, Low, Liars, Joy Division, Steven R Smith, Pink Floyd, Bjork, Black Flag.

Josh Graham(Neurosis): " It was an honor and privilege to record in the same room as bands and musicians including Big Black, PJ Harvey, Rudimentary Peni, Crass, and My Bloody Valentine."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm 

amazing Brooklyn musician Sharon Van Etten just tweeted

PJ Harvey is my hero! New record!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:59 pm 

I started listening to her after "I Fold" was featured on "The Big C", now I like her even more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 44  Next