It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:26 pm 

Doves: "Jimi and Jez choose to play Polly Harvey's "Good Fortune" for the show"

Lou Rhodes(Lamb): "Lou cover's PJ's "Down by the Water"

Paul Kellly(Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls): "Paul's cover of "To bring you my love" by PJ Harvey"

Franz Ferdinand: "The band was really excited to be playing with PJ Harvey"

Modest Mouse: "PJ Harvey is a regular on our idod"

Ashlee Simpson(EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!): "Ashlee Simpson wants to sing at least one song by either Madonna, Deborah Harry, PJ Harvey or Courtney Love on her latest tour."

Cedric Bixler Zavala(Mars Volta, At the Drive-In): "I would like to do a duet with either PJ Harvey or Kathleen Hanna"

At The Drive-In: "What would be your ideal line up for a festival? "Tony: Limp Bizkit! (laughter) (Cédric always present bursts of laughter) Tony: More seriously, much of drum' N low like Roni Size, Bjork, Photek, Radiohead inevitably, PJ Harvey but not really with a head d' post, qu' they all can play as much. (translated from french)

Killing Heidi(Revolting!) "If I could sing a duet with anyone it would be with?" "Bob Dylan or PJ Harvey"

Killing Heidi: "PJ. Harvey is opening with U2. You should have tapped her for a gig with them." "I didn’t even know that. If I did, I would have. (laughs)"

Killing Heidi: " The Big Day Out, to play with everybody on that show, Coldplay, PJ Harvey, that was like, "whoa!"

Killing Heidi: "1. The Rolling Stones - 'Gimme Shelter' (1969)
2. PJ Harvey - 'Down By The Water' (1995)
3. James Taylor - 'Fire and Rain' (1970)
4. The Band - 'Stage Fright' (1970)
5. Ryan Adams - 'Come Pick Me Up' (2000)( on their top 5 of all time)

Ella Hooper(Killing Heidi): ": Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, PJ Harvey, Hole, Incubus, Folk music:- Bob Dylan, van Morrison, Joni Mitchell etc."

Ella Hooper(Killing Heidi): "I like the Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay, PJ Harvey, Bob Dylan. I like a lot of old music."

Ella Hooper(Killing Heidi): "Growing up what bands did you listen to? "Pre-Triple J, it was a blend of amazingly good music like The Band, Dylan, Neil Young, The Pogues, Pink Floyd, Richard Thompson, The Beatles and Nick Cave. Post-Triple J, I feasted on Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, P.J. Harvey, Liz Phair and some good punk like Propagandhi.

Ella Hooper(Killing Heidi): "Which female artists inspire you most (past and present)?" "I love the ones that had their own thing going on, from Billie Holiday, Emmy-Lou Harris, Tracey Chapman and Joni Mitchell; to P.J., Tori Amos, Erykah Badu, MIA, Feist and Joanna Newsom. Gillian Welch is a huge inspiration. All these ladies are quality musicians; it’s their total uniqueness that I love."

Duke Spirit: "We’d written and arranged it all so we were really influenced by the records made there and the people who had gone through there, Queens, PJ Harvey, Foo Fighters."

Duke Spirit: "There is a real lack of great female fronted bands. There is in Britain far more than here. It has to do with the British press. We always get this PJ Harvey comparison. PJ Harvey is great."

Duke Spirit: "We're all big fans of the stuff Flood's done, like Nick Cave and PJ Harvey. So it was quite flattering and kind of an honour, that he actually wanted to work with us"

Duke Spirit: "The Pixies were a really big influence. Liela and I shared a car in London, and the only tapes we had were "Surfer Rosa" and "Doolittle." We knew every breath of those records; they never, ever got boring. And Kim Deal rules: I hear her in Toby [Butler]'s bass lines for the Duke Spirit. She, Kim Gordon and Bjork were huge inspirations for Liela. Other than Elastica and Polly Harvey, there wasn't much inspiration back home;"

New Young Pony Club: "Covered PJ Harvey's dress at Isle of white"

New Young Pony Club: "PJ Harvey 'Yuri G'- Ty - She's another seminal influence on this band. I spent a long time with this album. Walking to and from school, incandescent with adolescent rage listening to this psychosexual tortured pan sexual melodrama. God only knows what's its actual effect on me was"

New Young Pony Club: "A lot of other bands influence our music, but a lot of them are older artists. Main influences are The Cure, PJ Harvey and stuff from the Ninties,” Spence says."

New Young Pony Club: "It’s a strong women thing like PJ Harvey. It's great that there are always going to be artists around like that, but there are also too few I think. "

Interpol: "Let’s see if I can get the synopsis right: Two beautiful Asian women dressed in clinical, plastic S&M gear (and off-kilter Yin/Yang-ish face paint) gulp down some semen before undressing and eventually shaving PJ Harvey(?) with a straight razor. They inject her with what we have to assume is semen before dressing her in a skin-tight wetsuit. She crawls around submissively on some sort of artfully shaped installation block and begins to cry tears of…semen! Then she drools some semen, looking, well, uncomfortable doesn’t quite cut it.(On Interpol's video "Lights"

Guy Garvey(Elbow): "What is the one question that you’ve always wished someone would ask in an interview? "Guy Garvey :Do you intend to marry PJ Harvey? "And what would your answer be to that?" "Guy Garvey": YES!"

Guy Garvey(Elbow): "Does PJ intend to marry you?" "Guy Garvey":She doesn’t know it yet, but YES. We’ve nearly met about 3 times. She’s playing hard to meet"

Guy Garvey(Elbow): "More Picks..PJ Harvey( She will be mine Garvey exclaims)

Guy Garvey(Elbow): "." And he told us about some of the inspiration for the
record: "It sounds like a band playing in a room. The most important thing for
us was to get the room on the recording. "In the same way as, like, a Pixies
album or a PJ Harvey album, you feel like you're in the environment for the
duration for the record. "That was really important this time."

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): "Grant: PJ Harvey, Billy corgan,U2 ,Air, The eels ,Neil young , Beck , Radiohead ,Dave Grohl,Butch vig etc etc" (on his favourite artists)

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): "This is a horrible question! There is so much but if I owed anything in quoting for these last ten years it would be Radiohead. They always made good music, even if it is a rather popular choice. I like also beacoup and other groups like Yeah Yeah Yeah' S, PJ Harvey or an American group still little known, Secret The Machines.
I also listen to older artists like Nick Drake or Neil Young"

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): ""I'd love to work with Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and PJ Harvey."

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): "Who are your favourite songwriters?" "John Lennon, Frank Black, E from Eels, Sting, Neil Young, PJ Harvey"

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): "I think Duffy would be good to sing the theme tune if I was doing it, or someone a bit off the wall, but I think she would be interesting. Or PJ Harvey. It may not be the most mainstream Bond track you've ever heard, but it could be cool"

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): "Grant would like to work with artists such as PJ Harvey, Beck, The Eels and the Beastie Boys."

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): "I would like to work with Sigur Ros. I adore that band. Or Perhaps PJ Harvey"

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 pm 

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: "Peter's favourite song by PJ Harvey is "Is that All There Is?" (I hope he is aware that's its a cover haha)

Robert Levon Been(Black Rebel Motorcycle Club): "Last five itunes downloads?" "Robert": 1. The Black Angels: Passover; 2. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig!!!Lazarus Dig!!!; 3. anything by The Ruts; 4. PJ Harvey: White Chalk; 5. Tom Waits: Blood Money(Excellent taste he has!)

Robert Levon Been(Black Rebel Motorcycle Club): " I've been listening to PJ Harvey from back in the day. "

Kate Nash: "Kate has insisted that she is not trying to sound like Lily Allen. She cited PJ Harvey as an influence. But listening to her music you wouldn't expect her to be"

Amy Lee(Evanescence): "PJ Harvey is one of my influences"

Joanna Newsom: "influenced by the likes of PJ Harvey"

Florence Welch(Florence & The Machine): "I wish I had written anything by PJ Harvey"

Florence Welch(Florence & The Machine..does anyone think she slightly resembles Uma Thurman?): "Who inspires you as a performer" "“People like Stevie Nicks, Janis Joplin and Otis Redding; I watch his live performances on YouTube and he’s got the most amazing energy. Grace Jones — I saw her perform at The Secret Garden [Party] this year. PJ Harvey is incredible, and MIA is a really strong performer too.”

Florence Welch(Florence & The Machine): "Do you think that the idea of the frontwoman is still sort of a novelty in popular music? "Florence: Don’t know. I think there’s definitely been a resurgence of late of strong, female figures as musicians and I think that’s an exciting thing. But yeah, people can’t really seem to get over it, even though there have been so many amazing artists through out history, you know: Janis Joplin, Stevie Nicks, (they’re) two of my favourite artists, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, people like Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield. The list, it’s not a novel thing, there’s been so much and so many wonderful women artists, but I think there is something quite beguiling about the female artist.

Florence Welch(Florence & The Machine): " Her unexpected and eclectic taste for music includes PJ Harvey, Bjork, Liars, Wolf Parade, and TV on the Radio. Florence also loves the band The Big Pink, and listens to them to make her less nervous when flying."

Florence Welch(Florence & The Machine): "Stevie Nicks, I think. She's definitely an idol of mine. PJ Harvey as well. Björk. All those strong female artists who've kept their personality and integrity while having a long-term career.(when asked if there was anyone's career path she would like to follow)

Florence Welch(Florence & The Machine): "There are so many great artists out there. I mean, I’ve always been inspired by people like PJ Harvey and Cat Power, I love Annie Lennox, and I think La Roux is making really great music." (La Roux...ewww! Why is it that people (In general) have such bad taste?)

The Kills: "Though the band cites PJ Harvey, LCD Soundsystem, The Velvet Underground, The Fall, Patti Smith, Suicide and Royal Trux as immediate influences, the music press has largely compared them to another well-known boy/girl minimalist garage blues duo, The White Stripes.

The Kills: "4-Track Demos by PJ Harvey was a big influence"

The Kills: "The Kills chose 'Reeling' as the first track for their 'Burn It' feature (a weekly feature where a band chooses 10 of their all-time favourite tracks that they would burn onto an ultimate compilation CD)

Alison Mosshart: ""It's off the '4 Track Demos' album, and I think she's amazing. This is just totally stripped. You can't listen to it without putting down whatever you're doing and just staring""(on "Reeling")

Alison Mosshart(The Kills): " PJ Harvey is amazing and so is Patti Smith."

Alison Moshart(The Kills): "It's a beautiful song. It's about love that went wrong and was destined to go wrong" (on Henry Lee)

Alison Mosshart(The Kills): "Right, because people will say “You’re the new PJ Harvey” but she’s still alive. So I can’t be. (whoever thinks that needs their ears cleaned out and their brain assessed!)

Alison Mosshart(The Kills): ""It made me feel like I could do anything," adds Mosshart. "I didn't really know how to play guitar or how to make music, and at the time a band like Nirvana sounded smooth and commercial and distant. PJ Harvey made it all seem possible. She captured the sound of energy, the sound of a moment." (on 4-track demos)

Alison Mosshart(The Kills): ""I really learnt about the blues from listening to PJ Harvey. That was my first sort of introduction really. Then because of that I started listening to bands that she'd be into like she did a Howlin' Wolf cover and was into Captain Beefheart and she did a Captain Beefheart cover. I suppose in the end I much prefer the bands that were influenced by blues like PJ Harvey and Canned Heat and The Rascals and all that. I like what people do with the blues rather than the actual pure thing."

Jamie Hince(The Kills): "PJ Harvey is one of the reasons I ruined my life with music. When I heard the first PJ Harvey record I knew that’s what I wanted to do. She turned me on to a lot of music I listen to now. Listening to her made me listen to [Captain] Beefheart, which made me listen to Howlin’ Wolf, and then back to Charlie Patton. Then she brought out “To Bring You My Love” and I thought “What the fuck? This is unbelievable.” It made me interested in Suicide."

Jamie Hince(The Kills): ""Her record The Four-Track Demos really showed us what could be done with so little," says Hince. "It was about the power of her voice, with rhythm relegated to the tapping of a foot and an abrasive guitar, and everything was designed to create a space for her ideas. It made us realise that what you leave off a record is as important as what you put on."

Meg White: "Meg was seen grinning broadly after a PJ Harvey concert"

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): "She cites Nick Cave and PJ Harvey as inspirations"

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): "Your first album, The Ghost Who Walks, is out tomorrow. What sound were you going for with it?" "I have a real love for melancholy songs that express the everyday—what’s the word? What’s the right one without sounding too depressing? Honestly, I like songs that are mournful and express heartache and longing. They just feel right to me. It feeds me in a very strange way. I’ve always had a long love of Hank Williams and Tammy Wynette and Patsy Cline, and even Nick Cave and PJ Harvey and Mazzy Star."

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): " I remember PJ Harvey, years ago, when she did To Bring You My Love, she had a really strong visual element. She looked like a semi-possessed, sort of forlorn and forsaken woman of the desert. I think it’s very powerful. I want to evoke not a similar image, but I want to use that idea of creating a character and having that character have clothes to wear."

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): " Aged 15, she watched PJ Harvey's Glam-Gothic video for 'Down By the Water'. She went straight out and bought the album, which she listened to on her Walkman under the covers at night. "

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): "Well when I was a teenager and I listened to Nick Cave and P J Harvey, I was really struck by it and it was such a departure from anything else I'd listened to."

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): "She fell hard for Hope Sandoval, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Sandy Denny and the Velvet Underground"

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): "When PJ Harvey's "Down By The Water" video came out, it left a big big impression on me. I couldn't take my eyes off her. I studied everything from her dress, to her hair, make-up, nails, the way she moved"

Karen Elson(Jack White's wife): "she was startled by the sight of Polly Harvey in Maria Monchnacz’s sexy/spooky video for “Down By the Water.” Recalls Elson, “Up until I heard her, my taste in music was very typical teenage music. She was doing all these amazing movements, I remember everything, her make-up and her voice –it was like tunnel vision. I’m watching her and thinking, I have to go and get her record. Who is this woman? It changed my view on music. It just took me away from the typical teenage stuff into another realm. I remember going into HMV the next day and getting two things on a whim --the PJ Harvey album and a Mazzy Star record. "

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:51 am 

OMG this is beginning to look like a dictionary!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:47 am 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

WTF? I'm a huge Ev fan and I see nothing PJ-ish in any of their songs
:???:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 am 

^ What a relief!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:42 am 

karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

She's also cited Nirvana as an influence...they covered lithium once I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:23 pm 

Thanks so much. Where are the Kills quote from? is there a video?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 pm 

^ Just have to search for them (like all the others). Various interviews, the old pj forum, yahoo groups, er...various forums. The Atforumz forum lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:21 pm 

karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

Some musicians confuse "favourites" and "influences".
I think Evanescence are one of the worst bands ever (sorry - but y'know, tastes differ and all that ;) ) and I'm glad not to hear anything PJ-ish in their songs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 pm 

No Alanis Morissette quote? I'm really interested what she said about Polly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:21 pm 

^ Yuck! Honestly! Am I the only one left on this forum with good taste? She's been spotted at a few shows...and she's commented on liking her over the years. You'll have to give me a while to get to her though. The others must be done first.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:41 am 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

They never covered Lithium, they covered Heart Shaped Box

They have a song called Lithium but it has nothing to do with Nirvana

And yeah I know lots of people hate 'em, it doesn't bother meit's one oif the few bands that I know I love and people think that sucks, so you guys can throw shit at 'em nevernimd

Also, is not like I love 'em more than I love PJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:09 am 

karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

They never covered Lithium, they covered Heart Shaped Box

They have a song called Lithium but it has nothing to do with Nirvana

And yeah I know lots of people hate 'em, it doesn't bother meit's one oif the few bands that I know I love and people think that sucks, so you guys can throw shit at 'em nevernimd

Also, is not like I love 'em more than I love PJ

My apologies Karloz

I had heard that they covered "lithium"...I didn't realise that it was "heart-shaped box". I honestly read from somewhere that it was "lithium". As long as you like them that's all that matters. I think it's important not to let someone's opinion persuade you otherwise. However....liking "Alanis Morisette" or "Madonna" or someone equally as vulgar is inexcusable no mater the circumtances and if you are a fan; you shall never hear the end from me! :wink:

P.S. Love how you quoted the name of a certain band's album that had been mentioned in the last post. Was that intentional? haha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:27 am 

^ LOL I LOVE Alanis. What don't you like about her? BTW, We Float was played in a pre-concert mix last time I saw her live.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:09 am 

Shadowboxer wrote:
^ LOL I LOVE Alanis. What don't you like about her? BTW, We Float was played in a pre-concert mix last time I saw her live.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

That's really nice about We Float but..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next