It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 am 

Well, I suppose I better give you a real explanation as to why I hate Alanis Morisette! Where to start! Um...I think she's majorly pretentious, self indulgent and obnoxious. I find her music to lack any form of coherence, substance, depth or sincerity, and I think her delivery is weak. I think she's far too derivative...lacks any form of authenticity whatsoever. I also find her music boring, homogenic and far too commercial. Her voice is beyond stagnating. And, to sum it all up...I think she (along with many other "riot grrrls" and "mid 90's pained females") is the holy grail of woeful. Haha

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:59 am 

Shadowboxer wrote:
^ LOL I LOVE Alanis. What don't you like about her? BTW, We Float was played in a pre-concert mix last time I saw her live.

Ah ah! You see, Polly_Jean_Cave, I told you "We Float" was a piece of s*** :wink: I believe Alanis could write it (even if I think Alanis is not completely terrible, "Uninvited" is quite a good song ).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:20 am 

Pluton wrote:
Shadowboxer wrote:
^ LOL I LOVE Alanis. What don't you like about her? BTW, We Float was played in a pre-concert mix last time I saw her live.

Ah ah! You see, Polly_Jean_Cave, I told you "We Float" was a piece of s*** :wink: I believe Alanis could write it (even if I think Alanis is not completely terrible, "Uninvited" is quite a good song ).

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: You take that back right now! Though, I suppose I should expect that coming from someone who likes a "Morisette" song and more importantly thinks she's "not that bad" :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 pm 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Pluton wrote:
Shadowboxer wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: You take that back right now! Though, I suppose I should expect that coming from someone who likes a "Morisette" song and more importantly thinks she's "not that bad" :laugh:

:laugh: + 1 for you

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:31 pm 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

Amy Lee(Evanescence): "PJ Harvey is one of my influences"

WTF? I'm a huge Ev fan and I see nothing PJ-ish in any of their songs
:???:

She's also cited Nirvana as an influence...they covered lithium once I believe.

They never covered Lithium, they covered Heart Shaped Box

They have a song called Lithium but it has nothing to do with Nirvana

And yeah I know lots of people hate 'em, it doesn't bother meit's one oif the few bands that I know I love and people think that sucks, so you guys can throw shit at 'em nevernimd

Also, is not like I love 'em more than I love PJ

My apologies Karloz

I had heard that they covered "lithium"...I didn't realise that it was "heart-shaped box". I honestly read from somewhere that it was "lithium". As long as you like them that's all that matters. I think it's important not to let someone's opinion persuade you otherwise. However....liking "Alanis Morisette" or "Madonna" or someone equally as vulgar is inexcusable no mater the circumtances and if you are a fan; you shall never hear the end from me! :wink:

P.S. Love how you quoted the name of a certain band's album that had been mentioned in the last post. Was that intentional? haha

Hahahahahaha
XD

Yeah I noticed it after I posted it was completely unintentional

And I like Alanis too, but not like dude I luuuuv her
I mean I can really looooove some songs but it's not like I'm in to her that much though I think she has a very particular voice
Though if you mean this Alanis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_LFnEoG ... re=related
(^ WTF? Joey Tribianni there? hahahaha XD)

Yeah, you're pretty much right

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:57 pm 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Well, I suppose I better give you a real explanation as to why I hate Alanis Morisette! Where to start! Um...I think she's majorly pretentious, self indulgent and obnoxious. I find her music to lack any form of coherence, substance, depth or sincerity, and I think her delivery is weak. I think she's far too derivative...lacks any form of authenticity whatsoever. I also find her music boring, homogenic and far too commercial. Her voice is beyond stagnating. And, to sum it all up...I think she (along with many other "riot grrrls" and "mid 90's pained females") is the hold grail of woeful. Haha
Haha damn, those would be proper reasons to hate her. You got her completely wrong on some of those though. Maybe you need to allow more Alanis in your life so it could become clearer :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:12 pm 

I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've heard plenty and I've made my decision :p. Care to point out exactly what it is i'm wrong on? I don't get it...most seem to despise her...yet y'all dig her. What's going on here? haha Plus she appeared on that god awful show "Sex and the City" with Miss Horsey( Sarah Jessica Parker). That there alone is reason enough to dislike her..isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:15 am 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've heard plenty and I've made my decision :p. Care to point out exactly what it is i'm wrong on? I don't get it...most seem to despise her...yet y'all dig her. What's going on here? haha Plus she appeared on that god awful show "Sex and the City" with Miss Horsey( Sarah Jessica Parker). That there alone is reason enough to dislike her..isn't it?
Well, I respect your opinion so I won't try to shove songs down your throat and convince you differently. Her best album is SFIJ, I don't know if you've heard anything from it but it was my bible for the longest time. I can't argue with the self-indulgence; some of her songs don't have a structure but that's not really a bad thing. Some tunes are definitely boring and her voice is not everyone's cup of tea. BUT I don't she's fake/insincere/shallow. She wears her heart on her sleeve and a lot of her songs are very real and touching. Her message is universal and very relatable. I'm not that big of a fan now as I was years ago, but I still appreciate her and the things she does.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm 

hey!! there is no good or bad music...
when I want to be silly and dance alone in my house I heard alanis,but when I want to feed my heart I heard pj.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

hipolito wrote:
when I want to be silly and dance alone in my house I heard alanis,but when I want to feed my heart I heard pj.

My nomination for post of the year. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

ETA: Just because I have problems with this too. There's music that other household members like and I find close to intolerable, but I'm trying very hard not to be critical, I know they feel the same way about, well, PJ Harvey.

I like Alanis alot, at least some of her stuff, SFIJ is one. Although she does get a bit silly when she tries to say too much in one line anditallsortofjumblestogethercuzitdoesn'treallyfitifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkyoudo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:36 am 

Karen O: "Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs dedicated their song "Maps" to one of her idols PJ Harvey"

Karen O: "On this last tour we did in Europe, I got to meet and play alongside Bjork and PJ Harvey, and I couldn't talk to either one of them, I was so itimidated. I become such a dork when it comes to women I admire. After seeing the power of their shows. I'm left kind of speechless and feeling shitty about what I do. I'm humbled."

Karen O: "O cites Harvey, the gothic blues queen of '90s alt-rock, as an influence: ``I always felt like there was this very dark underbelly and perversity to her lyrics and her music that was working on a lot of different levels that I didn't see in anyone else's music. I really connected with that.''

Karen O: "Would you like to write with PJ Harvey" "I would but her words would overflow over the top of mine"

Nick Zinner: "PJ Harvey is at the top of my list, Mick Harvey too" (on people he would like to collaborate with)

Bloc Party: "Choose PJ Harvey's "Down By The Water" when they host the show"

Jamie Stewart(Xiu Xiu): "Bernard Sumner, Steven Cropper, Toni Iommi, Rob Fisk, Daniel Ash, Nick Drake, PJ Harvey, Blixa Bargeld, Derek Bailey, Sarah Lipstate, Tom Petty. (on the guitarists who have had the greatest impact on his sound)

Jamie Stewart(Xiu Siu): "2. PJ Harvey
Her playing is mean and dirty. It does not mess around at all ever. She wastes no notes like a spear of bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every time I have seen her shows, the songs where it is just the band playing are OK but as soon as she picks up her guitar it becomes solid, grey lead."(his list of his 10 favourite guitarists)

Jamie Stewart(Xiu Xiu): "Art Garfunkle, Devendra Banhart, Satomi from Deerhoof, Michael Stipe, Ian Curtis, Ozzy Osborne, David Bowie, Blixa Bargeld, Michael Gira, David Sylvian, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Paul Weller, numerous Kabuki singers, David Byrne, Sam Cooke, Polly Harvey, Anonymous 4, Yabbazuki Eye, Elvis, Nick Cave, Kelly Fisk, all the singers on Indestructible Beat of Soweto, Kim Deal, Tracy Chapman, Thom Yorke, Martin Gore, Diamanda Galas, Sam and Dave, Gordon Gano, Bernard Sumner, Horance Andy, Willie Nelson, numerous Islamic liturgical singers, John Darnielle, John Lennon, 1000 1950's torch song singers, Madonna, Roy Orbison, Andy Bell, Johnny Cash, Nick Drake, Billie Holiday, Bjork, Peter Murphy, Howlin' Wolf, 1000 Chinese funeral music singers, Muddy Waters, Antony and the Johnsons and Nico. (on who he considers the most influential singers)

Danielle Dax: "Well, perhaps I'm too obscure to have that much of an influence, people would look to Bjork or PJ Harvey. But at least I hope my influence could be utilised in a good way, I mean that if men are going to make it difficult then fuck 'em do it on their own."

Exene Cervenka(X): " Any dream collaborations for you--artists that you'd like to work with?" "I'd like to work with so many people--you have no idea. You know who I'd really like to work with on a record? Moby. I would love to have him produce a record of mine. I like PJ Harvey a lot. I like Bjork a lot."

Exene Cervenka(X): " Exene doesn't understand why PJ Harvey performs in ballgowns"

John Doe(X): "I interviewed John Doe and told him about Giant Sand and PJ Harvey doing “Johny Hit And Run Paulene” in concert and he was floored, saying, “Get out of here!” He was incredulous and honored, just got a big kick out of it."

John Doe(X): "Get out of here! P.J. Harvey doing Johny'?!? I am just fucking floored! Doe laughs with delight then chuckles conspiratorially and adds, Now why doesn't she call me up and have me open her shows?"

DJ Bonebrake(X): "Later we stayed and chatted for a while and I told him that an album would come out with that song in which Polly did the part of Exene Cervenka. To which he told me that some days earlier, at one of his concerts in Canada, some kids had approached him to give him compliments and to tell him that they had much appreciated his decision to play a PJ Harvey cover song. Something that he hadn't done, though. Strange, isn't it? They liked Polly's songs, but he simply didn't play them with his band. What does this prove? That there exists a triangle in the evolution of music, a figure with three angles, to which everything returns, even if who is in it doesn't notice it. The fact that PJ captured Exene's way of singing, practically without ever having heard her, proves that the music exists prior to the persons who interpret it. That kind of mysterious energy is what we now celebrate with the cover song Johny Hit And Run Paulene done by Giant Sand with PJ Harvey."

Niagara (Destroy All Monsters): "I was like get the fuck outta here" (on hearing PJ Harvey's Rid of Me)

Kaiser Chiefs: "Play PJ Harvey's "Good Fortune" for their appearance on rage"

Chrissie Amphlett(The Divinyls): "There's some bands I like , but on the balance I get more from going back. I go back to the old type singers, who sing from that place. But I love Elastica, and PJ Harvey. She sings form the place I sing from. "

Bernard Fanning(Powderfinger): "PJ Harvey was absolutely incredible at the BDO"

Grant McLennan(Go-Betweens): "Its a good line-up. PJ Harvey, Placebo, Rammstein, some Australian bands, You Am I, Powderfinger. It should be good.

Robert Forster(Go-Betweens): "I really like a song called 'Hit the City' with PJ Harvey on it."

Mr Jim(Misfits): "Enjoying PJ Harvey & Gordon Gano's "Hitting the Ground"

Pinky Beecroft(Machine Gun Felatio): "Beecroft's internet diary is an open window through his ostensibly piss-taking facade. His unhealthy obsession with Polly Harvey, first from an impossible distance and, much later, quaking in an adjacent aeroplane seat on the 2003 Big Day Out, poignantly exposes the rock-star wannabe in all of us."

Pinky Beecroft(Machine Gun Felatio): "I get to see PJ Harvey. Live. Three-piece. And she plays for hours. And she plays a whole lot of stuff from Rid Of Me, including a smokin' version of the title track, and she plays an absolutely honkin' version of To Bring You My Love, and she plays all the songs that make you believe there is a deity."

Pinky Beecroft(Machine Gun Felatio): " And all the way home I've been thinking. I'm thinking that a few years ago - maybe some time around when PJ Harvey played the Enmore Theatre, or maybe around the time when I turned a certain age, I dunno, but I remember I got depressed… really truly depressed and yes maybe it was some kindof existential crisis because I realised this: I will never get to sleep with Polly Jean Harvey. That realisation - believe it or not - hit me kindof hard. I mean… it's not like I spent time truly believing that somebody like Polly Jean was hanging out to lie down with Beecroft. I'm full of shit, definitely, but not that full. HOWEVER………… I am allowed to dream, and dreaming is what I have done. I have dreamt of PJ Harvey. There have been times in my life when I considered PJ Harvey to be the single sexiest force of nature on earth. She is well up there. But one day… the thought arrived in my head: the thought, in its purest, simplest form: it will never happen. At that moment I realised that life is not endless in its possibilities, and that dreams are hard to hold onto unless they have some vague whiff of possibility (probability?) to them. But now life in fact had dragged me to this point, had held me down, squirming, and said tiger, it said, beecroft, a whole host of crazy and wonderful things may well happen in your life but you can bet the house, YOU CAN BET THE FUCKING HOUSE THAT PJ HARVEY IS NEVER GOING TO SHAG YOU. .................And all the way home I've been thinking. I'm thinking that a few years ago - maybe some time around when PJ Harvey played the Enmore Theatre, or maybe around the time when I turned a certain age, I dunno, but I remember I got depressed… really truly depressed and yes maybe it was some kindof existential crisis because I realised this: I will never get to sleep with Polly Jean Harvey. That realisation - believe it or not - hit me kindof hard. I mean… it's not like I spent time truly believing that somebody like Polly Jean was hanging out to lie down with Beecroft. I'm full of shit, definitely, but not that full. HOWEVER………… I am allowed to dream, and dreaming is what I have done. I have dreamt of PJ Harvey. There have been times in my life when I considered PJ Harvey to be the single sexiest force of nature on earth. She is well up there. But one day… the thought arrived in my head: the thought, in its purest, simplest form: it will never happen. At that moment I realised that life is not endless in its possibilities, and that dreams are hard to hold onto unless they have some vague whiff of possibility (probability?) to them. But now life in fact had dragged me to this point, had held me down, squirming, and said tiger, it said, beecroft, a whole host of crazy and wonderful things may well happen in your life but you can bet the house, YOU CAN BET THE FUCKING HOUSE THAT PJ HARVEY IS NEVER GOING TO SHAG YOU.............And that's sad. BUT…… tonight I stood seven feet away from Ms Harvey as she sang and played her enormous heart out, and I suddenly realised something altogether more important. I think it's maybe not PJ Harvey I wanted to sleep with.
(I mean, yes I did and … yes to all that that entails, and she's lain with the devil to bring me her love, etc etc…… but there's something bigger, on the other side of that, and it's this...
It's rock'n'roll for which I lust.
It's rock'n'roll I want to shag.
I WANT TO FUCK MUSIC. I want to go to bed with it, I want to be under it, next to it, on top of it, I want to roll around half-clothed, half-mad and totally starkers with a melody, I want to doze off and wake up again before it's light and I want to go down on the groove, I want to go down on the GROOVE for hours and hours and hours and I want to have a torrid weekend with ROCK, where we're sore but we just can't seem to stop and I want to put on old clothes and walk down the street in search of late evening breakfast and I want to end up fucking in an alley, against a wall, just the two of us…It's rock'n'roll I want to shag. And PJ Harvey made me realise this.
And she played in spite of the fact that the power kept blowing out, she waited while they fixed it and then started the song again, and then the power went down and she waited, and her ferocity did not dim, and she played some more, and when the power went down a third time there was rage and frustration in the air until suddenly a small part of the crowd began to sing, they sang her a Maori song which was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful, and then everybody in the room was singing along - myself included, and I don't know any Maori songs - as an offering to PJ and her band…… and the power came back, and the band finished the set with no further mishaps and it was like nothing could mess with this particular little train and that, I think, made us all realise that we've been having sex with rock'n'roll for years, we've been loving it and loving TO it for as long as any of us can remember AND it made me think this: Rock'n'roll is the best fuck in the world.[And now I'm going to try to write all this as a song. IT'S ROCKIN' WOT I WANNA FUCK. Somehow I've got to make it into a song. It's not yet daylight, I'm staring out at Auckland, tomorrow I'm playing the Big Day Out here, and in some ways that seems entirely insignificant because I know that whatever I do tomorrow it will never be anything anywhere near the quality of PJ Harvey and her ilk…… but on the other hand, it feels like I'm going to be part of a day where nothing matters except music. And THAT feels like the best idea in the world.]" (Big Day Out Diary 2003)

Richard Einhorn(classical composer): "What music do you listen to?" "PJ Harvey. Kate Bush"

Tom Larkin(Shihad): "Apart from that, just resting and I love going to see bands live, even though I just saw the most average PJ Harvey show I've seen in my life. It bummed me out because two of her shows I've regarded as emotionally life-changing. She's gone and got a rock band and she's lost all the subtlety and the intimacy."

Tom Larkin(Shihad): ""The Flight over had one redeeming feature in that I was seated beside Rob Ellis who played Drums for PJ Harvey not only on the BDO but on 'Dry' and 'Rid of me' as well - really cool - We just banged on about music and how he did stuff with polly and recording with Steve Albini etc. He has been one of my hero's ever since I heard 'rid of me' in 94 and it was an absolute thrill to spend time with the guy. I got all groupied out."

Alice Bag(The Bags): "We went to see PJ Harvey last night at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. PJ rocked hard but her guitarist was way too Moons Over My Hammy. Less ham, more jam please."

Alice Bag"(The Bags): " How much awareness do you have of later generations of punk women?" "I guess the answer to your question is that I don’t think of women playing what sounds like punk (or punk inspired) to me as “later generations” because it is all one continuum and I either like what a musician is doing or I don’t. The only thing I’ve noted before is that female musicians seem to be much more comfortable onstage and are more willing to challenge audience expectations than the females I grew up seeing twenty or thirty years ago. Take, for example PJ Harvey and Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls. They have fun with their sexuality but it’s not central to what they do as artists."

Adalita Srsen(Magic Dirt): "Adalita thanks PJ Harvey on her record"

Adalita Srsen(Magic Dirt): "Adalita from Magic Dirt has been working on her vocals and is sounding mighty impressive. In her fave 10 albums she lists PJ's TBYML and suggests "you don't die without owning this record, if my house was burning down this would be one of the things that I would grab first".

Adalita Srsen(Magic Dirt): "Lists PJ Harvey as one of her favourite artists"

Natalie Imbruglia: "I don't get star-struck very often. PJ Harvey made me go a bit stupid in the lobby of a hotel in Los Angeles - I made a bit of an idiot of myself. I stupidly said, 'my husband really likes you', and put him in it instead of me. He was angry with me for saying that. I even said, 'Would you like to go for a drink?' And gave her my room number!"

Natalie Imbruglia: "she had writers block when writing her second album cos she was listening to too much PJ Harvey. She had to stop listening to pj harvey to be able to write her second album."

Natalie Imbruglia: "Last time around you got lumped in with the whole Alanis angst rock scene. Did that mis-represent you? "I don't think so. A lot of that was authentic with where I was in my life. I was definitely a lot more angry then. That was an influence around that time. I tried to take that a step further when I started the second album and the songs just sounded awful. I was listening to far too much PJ Harvey and I was trying to be angry and I wasn't angry so it was contrived. I tried to figure out where I was." (I've just got to say that this woman is an idiot and she's definitely contributed to giving Australian pop a bad name!)

Natalie Imbruglia: "When I was writing my second album I was trying too hard to be like P J Harvey and became quite demoralised because she could never be as good"

Amy Gore(Gore Gore Girls): "Likes PJ Harvey"

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 am, edited 18 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:57 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:
hipolito wrote:

My nomination for post of the year. :)

Seconded!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:26 am 

Bat For Lashes: "PJ Harvey was amazing in some of her get-ups, like that pink catsuit at Glastonbury. It was fairly disconcerting, because it was sexy in a weird way. That's a lot more interesting to me than the Britney Spears school of boobs and short skirts. I feel like women can be sexy in a powerful and unusual way, it doesn't have to be obvious"

Bat For Lashes: "I was brought up in a strict religion and so the act of storytelling is deeply embedded in me - I think thats why I was instantly attracted to deep southern/gothic American lyrics and music - and then fell in love with the biblical imagery of blues, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, etc."

Bat For Lashes: "Kate Bush, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey, three of her biggest influences."

Bat For Lashes: "I’m not religious now, it definitely sets up your imagination to communicate in certain ways. So because when I was a kid, it was all about storytelling, healing and miracles and all those types of things, when I came to write music I was attracted to artists like Nick Cave and PJ Harvey; people who tell stories. Lou Reed, all those people really influence me."

Rykarda Parasol: "Rykarda doesn't mind being compared to PJ Harvey" “I mean, I understand what people are connecting between me and PJ Harvey, but I think there are aspects of her music that aren’t there in mine, and vice versa,” Parasol explains. “At the same time though, if someone compared what I’m doing to Michelle Branch or someone, I’d jump out a window in a very tall building.”

Ani DiFranco: "Cited PJ Harvey and Bjork as inspirations for her second album"

Lars Ulrich(Metallica): "Favourite groups: Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Oasis, PJ Harvey, Thin Lizzy, Diamond Head, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Mercyful Fate"

Lars Ulrich(Metallica): " I think musical tastes are so wide in America today that you could put Metallica and U2 and Oasis and PJ Harvey and Waylon Jennings and Dr. Dre and the Wu-Tang Clan together and it would be great."

Kirk Hammett(Metallica): Top 25 albums of the decade( I didn't post the other 12): "RADIOHEAD – Kid A
THE MARS VOLTA – De-Loused in the Comatorium
SIGUR ROS – ()
MUSE – Absolution
LAMB OF GOD – Ashes Of The Wake
DAMIAN MARLEY – Welcome To Jamrock
MASTODON – Crack The Skye
OUTKAST – Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below
INTERPOL – Turn On The Bright Lights
SHARON JONES AND THE DAP-KINGS – 100 Days, 100 Nights
SYSTEM OF A DOWN – Mezmerize
THE BLACK KEYS – Magic Potion
PJ HARVEY – Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea"

Kirk Hammett(Metallica):"Any new albums you like? : "New Danzig...PJHarvey..Godflesh....Oasis...Portished"(AOL Chat 94)

Kirk Hammett(Metalllica): "I liked PJ Harvey's "Rid of Me"

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "Ermmmm, I can see the Guided By Voices thing, I think people expected it to be more of a PJ Harvey-esque record, quite raw and a bit rockier. I guess it’s a bit more accessible, a bit poppier than that. Those are bands that I listen to a lot but I don’t necessarily think it sounds like that."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): " I’ve only heard [PJ’s latest single] The Letter, I need to get buying some new records"

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "What did you think of The Letter?
CH: What I’ve heard is really cool. We did Jools Holland together. I think she’s such an amazing performer, she’s really cool. I don’t think it really matters if this album comparatively does as well. Her last album [Stories From The Sea, Stories From The City] is quite mainstream in a way I think she’s gone back to her blues roots. I can’t imagine she’d be too bothered."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "returned to her core audience?
CH: Yeah, I don’t think that for somebody of PJ Harvey’s stature and reputation that it really matters what your chart position is."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "Fortunately he is married to Corinne, one of my oldest friends (Laughs), who I have known since the days of Nightnurse. I sent over copies of the demo to Corinne, who was living in San Francisco, to ask what she thought of them. And I got this e-mail from Eric saying that he was Corinne’s husband, and that she had played him the demos and he liked them a lot. He attached a CV of all the people that he had worked with and it included PJ Harvey and Frank Black and the Catholics as well as Captain Beefheart’s Magic Band. It was full of all these really great bands, and I thought “ Yeah ! Fucking Hell ! If you want to do it, do it !” (Laughs"

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "I think the UK has always produced amazing female songwriters, Kate Bush and PJ Harvey being the most obvious influence for me, but it is true that you have to work much harder for the attention."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "Related to the issue of heroes, if you had to form your own supergroup, with you included, who would you have in your band? They have to be alive now, as well.

(Thinks for a few moments) Ok, I’d have Captain Beefheart on the piano, Paul McCartney on bass, Rob Ellis on drums (Charlotte’s current live drummer) because he’s amazing, PJ Harvey on guitar and Mike Garson on.. Oh I’ve already said piano. Right that’s it, that’s all I need (laughs)."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "Definitely when I was learning guitar I never had any female guitarist that I listened to. I mean I was a big P J Harvey fan and Debbie Harry, you know. A lot of female artists I admired, but none of them really played guitar. They weren't known for their guitar playing. They are more front singers."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "Anything celebrity like and we always embarrass ourselves. I was standing next to PJ Harvey who is a big idol of mine so I knew I had to say something to her. She turned out to be really sweet, and then I was saying bye to her whilst walking backwards and I fell flat on my back."

Charlotte Hatherley(Ash): "Charlotte Hatherley of the britpop group "Ash" has cited PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from The Sea as one of the best of the year"

Anita Lane: "Annie Lennox, PJ Harvey, Madonna - other people that I don't know the name of, but I know their songs.(When asked who her favourite singers were)

Mark E Smith: "PJ Harvey played some Banjo for us"

David Coulter(The Pogues, Test Dept): "Who are your musical influences and whom do you like that is pushing the boundaries today?" " DC: Tom Waits, Fred Frith, Marc Ribot, Nick Cave, John Zorn, Polly Harvey, Diamanda Galas, Phil Minton, Lol Coxhill, Sarah-Jane."

Billy Bragg: "Billy Bragg names "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea" as one of the best albums of the year"

Billy Childish: "They had Mr. Cave, I was amazed he can't sing he was singing with P.J. Harvey. She can sing. She has a very melodious voice which was nice because it showed up Nick Cave really well, that he couldn't sing at all and nobody seemed to mind. He's meant to be a good singer and I was really surprised that he can't even do thaL I can sing as badly as he can and I'm not called a genius."(Jealousy anyone? Me thinks he secretly wishes he could write one line or sing one note in his dreams as good as Cave!)

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:19 pm 

I went to see PJ Harvey in Warsaw in 2008, and funny enough the day before the show, Rykarda was playing in some club too. I got to see her live, and it was a very good evening before. A warming up evening. Quite a nice surprise that one is. :) Check her. :>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next