It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:43 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
bloke who whistles occasionally in our local pub: eye, that PJ Harvey's new albums alright.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:01 pm 

No offence intended, but years ago, a guy called Magic Mike told me, "If you shovel through enough shit, you'll eventually find a horse".

Here's one:
Quote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:

Siouxsie Sioux: "Where's the spontaneity, the attitude, the adventure, the imagination? People still ask me, 'What do you think about Kylie and Madonna?' For fuck's sake, don't ask me about these fucking frauds. Why don't you ask me about Peaches or P.J. Harvey, Diamanda Galas? Send Robbie Williams to Butlins - now!"

That's not only a horse it's a thoroughbred! Keep shovelling :rofl:

https://www.facebook.com/pjharveyalternativepage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:55 pm 

mart wrote:
bloke who whistles occasionally in our local pub: eye, that PJ Harvey's new albums alright.

Thank you very much for your contribution Mart! :eyeroll: :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:31 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
mart wrote:

Thank you very much for your contribution Mart! :eyeroll: :laugh:

You're welcome x. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 am 

Daniel Johns(Silverchair): "The time spent at home was invaluable though. He spent it listening to PJ Harvey and developing the new album."

Alan Sparhawk(Low): "PJ Harvey - Dry
I remember first hearing this at a used clothing store where a friend of mine worked in town, and just being like “What the hell is this? This is so good.” I got it on cassette and listened to it in my truck over and over and over again. I love her. She’s one of the greats. If you were to pick three or five of the most respectable, serious, focused musicians with great integrity, she’d be up there with Neil Young – she's a great example of an artist really committing to it and trying to make something good. Bjork is another one. I guess I picked that record because it’s the first one I heard, but everything she’s done since I’ve always loved. Around the time she made Rid Of Me, she did these four-track sessions. It’s like Diamanda Galás disturbing, really raw, just her singing and wailing and guitar. Rid Of Me is hard edge, raw – one of the great Albini records, but that four-track shit is challenging and intense."

Ke$ha(eekkk!): Lists Polly as an influence on her myspace page.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 am 

Tracy Thorn(Marine Girls/Everything But The Girl): "Astrud Gilberto, Shannons Let the Music Play, Bjork and Polly Harvey at the Brits, Cocteau Twins, Arthur Russell, Roisin Murphy, Beth Gibbons, Phoenix, Vic Godards Whats the matter boy, and singing with Fairport Convention at Cropredy and Jeff Buckley at Glastonbury.."(on what influences her)

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 pm 

Alan Wilder(Depeche Mode, Recoil): "As for P.J. Harvey, I do find her work quite interesting."

Franz Treichler(Young Gods): "PJ Harvey's version of "The Soldier's Wife" was brilliant, wasn't it?"

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:11 pm 

Vini Reilly(The Durutti Column): "I really love Polly Harvey's later material, I would love to work with her"

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:48 am 

Wayne Hussey(The Mission): "Top 12 albums that were first onto my I-pod: 11. To Bring You My Love - PJ Harvey
I like PJ a lot. Her albums are consistantly good. And this is perhaps her darkest. I remember buying this whilst I was on tour with The Mission in 95 or 96 and I remember the rest of the band hated it. It wasn’t AC/DC. And how can somebody so skinny have such a huge voice?"

Marty Willson-Piper(The Church): "At the BDO, Marty admitted to being totally in awe of PJ Harvey, and wanting to be her."

Andy Cairns(Therapy?): "Our records are more complex, much less simplistic. They are a reflection of our taste in music: The Who to Tom Waits through to Tricky and PJ Harvey."

Lee Ranaldo: "I’m listening to all kinds of stuff at the moment, from new Pavement, Royal Trux, Guided by Voices, PJ Harvey, and Oasis (!), to old John Fahey records and Glenn Gould piano works." (03/95)

Kim Gordon & Thurston Moore: "PJ Harvey - Man-size" (MTV takeover 2006)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm 

Justine Frischmann on Image & PJ Harvey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDDqxiyOJx0

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm 

Tom Morello on Twitter; probably needed 'Angeline' to soothe away the stress. (can't think what was going on in Chicago these last few days!) :-)

'Adios Chicago playlist: Motherlovebone-Heartshine, SteveEarle-The Mountain,Gogol-Forces of Victory,Zep-Goin 2 California,PJHarvey-Angeline'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:06 am 

Patti Smith: "But perfection has its beauty. If you hear a perfect pop song or a perfect dance song that just carries you away and just makes you want to dance, that has its greatness, too. I just think that the important thing when you’re making records or you’re doing anything public is to communicate – it’s to make people feel something. And whether it’s (Adele’s) Rolling in the Deep or (PJ Harvey’s) The Words That Maketh Murder, or Bach, or Glenn Gould working incessantly on every single second, trying to create some kind of perfection in his mind – it’s all interesting.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertai ... z1wt8rbeNf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:45 am 

Cheetah Chrome(Rocket From The Tombs, Dead Boys): Posted a link to C'mon Billy video on facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 pm 

Neneh Cherry:
"One thing that I’m really into is women in music; reading women’s writing and listening to female musicians and all about feminism. You said that when you were making Man, feeling empowered as a woman and being able to express that was important to you. I feel now women’s empowerment has kind of been taken to the extreme – people like Rihanna and Katy Perry over-sexualising themselves. Would you agree with that?"

NC: I do agree with that, I do! I’ve spoken out about this in a few interviews and I don’t want to sound like a miserable old biddy but I think that some women have misunderstood the sense of empowerment. I think that’s a shame. Sexuality is beautiful thing, sensuality is a beautiful thing, but this over sexualisation to me becomes pretty unsexy because it lacks power. People are trying to shock because it’s got to a point where everything’s been done before. Give me PJ Harvey any day!"

Fred Schneider: "I'd been listening to PJ Harvey a lot and I liked Steve's work on the album he did with her. So he was at the top of my list."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:19 am 

Ladyhawke: "“After all the touring and stuff I knew I wasn’t going to make that album (Ladyhawke) over again,” she coninues, “I wanted to try something a little bit darker. I remember I said that to my record label in the UK and they thought I meant something like PJ Harvey… I absolutely love her but I didn’t mean that at all. I was like “no, no, I mean dark as in lyrical dark, not everything dark!” laughs Brown."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 44  Next