It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 am 

Saul Williams: "Each of your albums have a very unique sound. Is that conscious on your part or is that something you strive for in the recording process?" "It’s not so much that I strive for each album to have a unique sound different from the other but as a fan of music I’m always interested in the evolution of artists. If you follow the careers of Radiohead or Björk or PJ Harvey, over the years you’ll say, “Wow, I like the one where she’s on piano, I like the one where there’s less guitars, I like the one where it’s all vocal work.” I like the evolving nature of writing music and it’s inevitable that we evolve as individuals with time and we have different interests."

Vanessa Carlton(EEEEkkkk!): "PJ Harvey is my absolute biggest inspiration"

Jason Newsted(Metallica, Voivod): "Newsted tells us his personal listening choices are more organic than metallic. "Radiohead, P.J. Harvey, Ben Harper"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:04 am 

Katie White(Ting Tings): "We could listen to a TLC song and go, 'Let's try and write, like, '90s R&B songs," White says. "And the next one could be, like, listen to PJ Harvey and go, 'Let me scream!' Really, we just opened our influences and experimented; I think that's the only way we could make our second album."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm 

Tricky: "Tricky added that he also hoped to record with PJ Harvey, explaining: "I worked with her before, but she sang a song I'd written. I'd like her to write the lyrics and I'll do the music." (04/12)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 pm 

Ambrosia Parsley(Shivaree): "Ambrosia Parsley appreciates amongst other European influences Bjork and PJ Harvey and you can hear this a little"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 pm 

Martin McCarrick(Therapy?): "I think JoyRider are a great band - they have an amazing debut album and when we were touring with them I used to go out front to watch them every night. I was a big fan of PJ Harvey for a while - I think her last album is quite a change but not a particularly bad one." (01)

Thom Yorke: "The only thing that makes for interesting music is perosnality-and I don’t see that anywhere in those bands. I see it in Polly Harvey, The Fall, even in Loz from Kingmaker. But Sub Pop bands have no personality. They have *hair*."

Selene Vigil(7 Year Bitch): "With the Breeders and PJ Harvey, the music's good and powerful, and there's a lot more of an emotional quality to it."

Allison Wolfe(Bratmobile): "Lists - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, as one of her current favourite albums" (dec 01)

Grant Nicholls(Feeder): 02 PJ Harvey – This Is Love
Taken from one of my favourite PJ Harvey albums. She has such a great voice and this track has some great guitar sound. I have always loved her more guitar driven stuff."

Dave Wyndorf(Monster Magnet): ""Bjork, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, also Marilyn Manson - to a certain extent. Musically, no, but attitude, yes. I like those guys, and they're using their wit and imagination. I like thinking people and people who sound like they mean it."

Tom Waits: "Tom likes Polly, Adrian likes the Cardigans, I like Tom, Nina likes me...it's interesting because we all happen to be fans of each others" (Mark Linkous 11/01)
"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 am 

Tanita Tikaram: "I have a lot of pent up anger in me , that's why I can relate to women like Harvey."

Charlotte Caffey(Go-Go's): "PJ Harvey opened for U2, I love PJ Harvey"

Dylan Carlson(Earth -Seattle drone metal group): "Are there any new music acts or albums you have been into lately?" "The Smoke Fairies ‘Through Low Light and Trees’, the Unthanks ‘Last’, the new P.J. Harvey ‘Let England Shake’."

Jonathon Segel(Camper Van Beethoven): "If you were in charge of a music festival what artists living or dead would you choose for the roster and what would be their final jam?" "Oh my god. Well, the final jam would be Jimi Hendrix with Pink Floyd from about 1970. Actually, who else would be on there? Um, how many can I list? I'd definitely like to put on Radiohead and PJ Harvey, I love seeing their shows so much, really incredible stuff. Then I guess we'll get Camper Van Beethoven to open it."

Marty Wilson-Piper(The Church): "And after hearing PJ Harveys last album now I really like PJ Harvey"(01/02)

Tim Finn(Split Enz, Crowded House): "I like Nick Lowe, PJ Harvey, Badly Drawn Boy."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
I really find this thread quite funny - sorry i'm not having a go at any of our Polly mates here...just the concept & content of the thread.

I've got a few "muso" mates & like to listen to their comradery self aggrandising banter, it's good :)

But the vast majority of "musos" quoted in this thread have never done anything worth mentioning & folk (us) pay attention to what they've go to say about Polly, bejasus i couldn't give a flying fcuk about what they've go to say about Polly, our dustmans opinion means more than most of these obscure non-entities :eyeroll:

:laugh: soz P_J_C, end of rant - i can see you like this thread & its got rock all to do with me what folk like so ignore my drivel :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 pm 

Duncan Sheik: "I'm a pretty big P.J. Harvey record fan and you can really hear New York in his record."

Ben Harper: ""Let England Shake" by PJ Harvey. This is by far the best album I've heard recently"

Dean Garcia(Curve): "I have some footage of Rose when she was about 7 playing a steady tribal beat on an old bass drum we have while looking out of the window and singing really deep blues melodies, very PJ Harvey-like, it was from that very moment I knew she would always sing."

Blood Red Shoes: "PJ Harvey – “Missed”
Off our favorite PJ Harvey album [‘Rid of Me’, 1993]. There’s so much vibe in this song. She sings like she really f***ing means it. My love for Telecasters must come from always listening to this growing up."

Thurston Moore: "Is this superjazz?
Does The Thing want to rock the fuck out?
Is Paal Nilssen a love machine?
Do Cato & Bård rip the shit outta guitar?
When McPhee & Gustafsson intro guitar to “Louie, Louie” do you know it’s the best throwdown yet of that klassick since Black Flag?
Does PJ Harvey rule and do these guys love her?(Cover-who the fuck?)
Do we blast through hate?
Mongezi Feza, man - total beautiful African sweet charge, can you drink this to the boss rock zone playlist?
Does Alva Melin’s groove jam “The Nut” destroy yr mind b4 ignition to free life 4-ever?
And will you thank the rock n roll gods for that love groove coda?
Can you shout out James Blood Ulmer!?
Can you shout out James Blood Ulmer rules supreme and heavy and these cats blow a masterful “Baby Talk”?
Are you cramped?
Can you find yr mind?
Can you shake yr ass?
Is it Nation Time!?

This CD answers all those questions and the answer resounds: YYYYYYYYYESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shit you not.(Liner notes to Two bands and a Legend - Cato Salsa Experience)

Charlotte Cooper(The Subways): "I love women who have an amazing presence on stage. I've already mentioned Kylie Minogue and Shirley Manson, but I also really admire PJ Harvey, Courtney Love, Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, Tina Weymouth and Madonna."

Moe Wadaka(Miila & The Geeks): ""Kathleen Hanna (of Bikini Kill and Le Tigre), Kim Gordon (of Sonic Youth) and PJ Harvey — these are my heroines."(j-pop/punk band)

Who The Bitch(j-pop band): "Taking inspiration from the PJ Harvey song "Who the Fuck" and acknowledging their personal attitude, guitarist Ehi and bassist Nao formed Who The Bitch in 2005. Along with drummer Yatch"

Lee Ranaldo: "I really loved the most recent PJ Harvey record." (04/12)

Anthony Kiedis: "That girl breaks my heart and scrambles my brain. I'm madly in love with her"

Mark Oliver Everett(Eels): "PJ Harvey. You know, as long as Bob Dylan’s still alive, maybe we should get him in here. Shit, let’s get Neil Young – this is my dream festival so why not? Let’s get some dead people; John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles…"

Mario Calire(The Wallflowers): "•Mario's Top 10 Favorite Albums of 1998: (1.) Bob Dylan, The Bootleg Series Vol. 4. Bob Dylan Live 1966: The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert, (2.) Massive Attack, Mezzanine, (3.) Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty, (4.) Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, (5.) PJ Harvey, Is This Desire?, (6.) Ozomatli, Ozomatli, (7.) Pearl Jam, Yield, (8.) Elliott Smith, XO, (9.) Sheryl Crow, The Globe Sessions, (10.) Jeff Buckley, Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk"

Bono: "When we were making No Line On The Horizon I met up with Polly Harvey and we were talking about poetry written by soldiers and people experiencing wartime and we were reading the same books. Her album ‘Let England Shake’ is a very powerful piece of work."

The Edge: "Number 7 on The Edge‘s Top Albums of 2011 list is the eighth studio album by English alternative rock musician PJ Harvey, Let England Shake. Released in February"

Alison Goldfrapp: "She's great"

Ian Astbury(The Cult): "Even Feist's Metals record intimates what I'm talking about, and PJ Harvey's record. I think they intimate something not quite right in the zeitgeist, and it's not in a material place, it's in a spiritual place. And the word spiritual has almost become almost tired." (01/12)

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am 

Katie-Jane Garside(Daisy Chainsaw, Queenadreena): "Queen Adreena's tune: Pretty Polly - loosely based on fellow English songbird Polly Harvey"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 am 

Patrick Wolf: "I love Kate Bush, I can not wait to hear her new album. I also have great respect for PJ Harvey. These two artists have both have achieved what I am trying to accomplish, they do what they like, they do not care about fashions they go forward as they want and make the music they love with honesty and integrity. This is rare. I would like to work one day with one of them but I know we do not play in the same category."

Patrick Wolf: "I met PJ Harvey recently. I was on the red carpet at the NME-Awards and she was next to me. I thought, oh no! oh god! and just wanted to run away but I turned around and she gave me a big smile and I was like, what?! And then she walked up to talk to me and said, oh I saw you playing with Patti Smith, you were a great Viola player, well done! I don’t remember what happened after that. I was absolutely blown away for a week and still am when I think about it."

Gilly Ann Hanner(Calamity Jane): "BANDS BACK IN THE DAY I LISTENED TO; WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL: THE POLICE,X,DEVO,LETS ACTIVE, CAMPERVANBEETHOVEN, B-52S. COLLEGE: SCRATCH ACID,UMEN,NAKEDRAYGUN,BAD BRAINS,PIXIES,SLITS,VOMIT LAUNCH, LUNACHICKS,BABES IN TOYLAND,SCRAWL,SONIC YOUTH,BREEDERS IN PORTLAND: HELLCOWS,DIRTYBIRD,SONIC YOUTH, PJ HARVEY

Andy Barlow(Lamb): "For example, if you listen to PJ Harvey, every track you can hear that it’s her, and yet it’s like she’s wearing a different coat."

Ben Lee: PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?"(lists amongst his favourite albums of 98)

Alan Anton(Cowboy Junkies): "The new Mark Lanagan album is good. Nick Cave has always been a huge favorite. Always like the Black Keys. PJ Harvey’s a big hit."

Gavin Rossdale(Bush): "Since you're sipping hot tea now, who are three people you'd like to have over for a cup?" "Francis Bacon, though I'd give him wine not tea. He's one of my favorite painters. PJ Harvey, she's just pure class."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:50 pm 

Brian Viglione(Dresden Dolls): "Founding member, Jason Celat, also took great care in guiding Brian through the as of yet untread musical waters of Nick Cave, The Birthday Party, Diamanda Galas, Swans, Miles Davis' later work, PJ Harvey and the Gun Club."

Tahita Bulmer(New Young Pony Club): "I’ve always loved PJ Harvey. She’s absolutely stood her ground
in terms of her image and material and she’s a goddess now. We can all aspire to that sort of single minded determination to be pure and true to a strong and intelligent vision."

Andy Spence(New Young Pony Club): "A Goth diva. A strong woman type of thing like PJ Harvey. It's great that there are always going to be artists around like that, but there are also too few I think."

Joanna Newsom: "The harp playing songstress cites Laura Nyro and even P J Harvey as an early influence."(03/04)

Brian Chase(Yeah Yeah Yeahs): "I remember when you gave me PJ Harvey's 'Rid of Me' album. That really made me open my ears and listen to music that mattered.(Reporter Theresa Romano on Brian)

John Doe(X): "I would love to sing with PJ Harvey."

Eleni Mandell: "(Not, as is often the case, to remember the name of the person responsible for the abomination contained therein, but because the voice, the music, the hauntingly seductive mood is so similar to the work of Polly Jean Harvey, that you'd be excused for assuming a mistake was made during production.) - "I guess I can see where the comparisons come from and I definitely take it as a compliment," -"But I think I'm probably more of a country version of P.J. Harvey."

Jon Toogood(Shihad): "When I say confrontational I don't specifically mean in your face with guitars and drums, I mean in your face with ideas. Like PJ Harvey or Nick Cave, there's so many fucking grunty people out there, because they're singing from their hearts and it's like emotion, that's what I'm into, it doesn't have to be fucking loud guitars."

Adalita Srsen(Magic Dirt): "I was taking a lot in when I was watching Blondie and The Pretenders, and of course when I see people like Gareth or people like PJ [Harvey] on TV. It’s interesting watching how they do things, not taking that on board, just taking inspiration: I’ll do it my way, I’ll be myself. But definitely over the years, I’ve picked up a few tips, a few tricks along the way."

Adalita Srsen(Magic Dirt): "When listening to the greatest albums in my collections, I often feel that the person writing all the songs seems to have all these tangible answers to unknown mysteries. How do you get past a broken heart? How do you get it all together? What percentage of the magic eight ball answers are going to be correct? As a songwriter, are you given some sort of magic handshake into words that make your thoughts so eloquently expressed in your music?" "I understand what you mean. I feel that with records by Neil Young and PJ Harvey."

Dean Turner(Magic Dirt): "Magic Dirt released eight albums between 1993 and 2008. He loved modern music, especially artists such as Neil Young, Dinosaur Jr, Flaming Lips, PJ Harvey, producer Phil Spector, Tumbleweed, Midget, and Rowland S. Howard."

Laetitia Sadier(Stereolab): "Sometimes, it feels like I'm just lying there onstage, and I think, "Fucking hell, where's that persona I was supposed to come up with years ago?" It would have been easier if I had re-created myself years ago and have something I could count on in public. Also, in the realm of creation, you can pour anything you want into it. Elvis did it, PJ Harvey is doing it, even Björk - they understood what it means, the psychology of being on stage. "

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am 

Patti Smith on Radio 6 today (the audio should be available later today). Quote posted by someone on twitter:

"...hooked on PJ Harvey's Words That Maketh Murder..."

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 pm 

^ Still? I love That tune too, one of Polly's best actually. Patti's been raving about it for a full 14 months now! Cool! I'm glad it's left such an impact on her. =)

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 pm 

Tairrie B(My Ruin): "I recently listened to PJ Harvey’s album ‘Is This Desire’ which I haven’t heard in years and fell in love with it all over again. It’s such a gorgeous record."

Damon Albarn: "Albarn currently likes Bjork, PJ Harvey, Portishead and Massive Attack" (09/95)

Perry Farrell: "Let's be honest - there are certain kinds of music and certain artists that the happy-clappy masses are never really going to get and, apart from her odd forays into the charts with one or two of her more accessible songs over the years, Polly Jean Harvey falls into this category. Moreover, it's probably fair to say that many of her fans have a greater-than-average fondness for music with life's darker sentiments at its heart.

I tried to listen to White Chalk when I first got it a couple of weeks ago, but I was in a pretty up-beat frame of mind and it just didn't sit well with me that night. In fact it started to pull me under a bit, and I almost decided that down-vibe music was not my thing any more.
However, we all hit bad days now and again and today was one of 'em for me, so I thought I'd take advantage of my low mood and give PJ another go tonight; make no mistake, this is music best listened to if you have some inner darkness that needs exorcising.

Wouldn't you know it - she sounds fantastic now. I put it on at about 11.00pm, it's now gone 1.45am and I can't stop playing it; God knows what time I'm going to get to bed tonight.

Maybe it's all down to a combination of the late hour and a heavy heart - whatever - but there's no doubt that only a truly great artist could produce an album that feels so insubstantial, sparse and fragile, at times even monotonous and uneventful, but still manages to captivate you immediately.

Polly Jean Harvey has done it again; what a gal(His White Chalk review - 30/10/07)

Dan Bejer(Destroyer): "21 2011 Records I Listened to Often, Ordered Alphabetically - PJ Harvey: Let England Shake"

Perfume Genius: " Top Albums - PJ Harvey: Let England Shake"

James McNew(Yo La Tengo): "Top albums of 2011 - PJ Harvey: Let England Shake"

Suzanne Vega: "But of all, the woman that impresses me most is English, I saw PJ Harvey at her first concert in New York and I was amazed by the simplicity of her showmanship, forms by the drought. She looked so confident, raring to go."

Jill Cunniff(Luscious Jackson): "What good music have you been listening to lately?" "Astrud Gilberto, Quincy Jones, PJ Harvey, Ladies Who Lunch, Pavement, Gabor Szabo, Nancy Sinatra, Red Snapper"

Glenn Danzig: "I've been in love with P.J. Harvey since Glenn Danzig told me to check her out at a Verotika comic signing back in the mid 90's."

Francoise Hardy: "One of my idols PJ Harvey's album dating back 2 years ago is a pure masterpiece."(10/00)

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:34 pm 

Ana Da Silva(The Raincoats): "What about female musicians from recent years? "PJ Harvey. She recently got a Mercury Prize, and it was good to see her being recognized."

Ros Murray(Electrelane): "PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

I never used to listen to PJ Harvey at all, until Mia convinced me to listen to 'White Chalk', and I absolutely loved it, although I still can't quite get to grips with her earlier stuff. I think this is because when I was a teenager there were so many really terrible bands that cited her as an influence, and I never got beyond that. Even now, if someone's press release mentions PJ Harvey you know it's going to be bad (I think the same thing can be said about Kate Bush, who I love). 'Let England Shake', like 'White Chalk', has become one of my favourite records, I love all the men singing the chorus on 'The Words that Maketh Murder', I really love the brass on the whole thing, and the way the instruments sound like vintage antiques. I was initially a bit worried about the idea of a record that was simply about war in general, but I think lyrically it's been done in a really intelligent way."

Emma Gaze(Electrelane): "8. p.j harvey(lists in her 10 other bands she enjoys listening to list)

Mia Clark(Electrelane): "3. PJ Harvey— White Chalk(lists in the top 10 current albums she enjoys list)

Siouxsie Sioux: "Where's the spontaneity, the attitude, the adventure, the imagination? People still ask me, 'What do you think about Kylie and Madonna?' For fuck's sake, don't ask me about these fucking frauds. Why don't you ask me about Peaches or P.J. Harvey, Diamanda Galas? Send Robbie Williams to Butlins - now!"

Matt Cameron(Soundgarden, Pearl Jam): "Are there any groups or solo artists that you'd really like to work with?" "All my perennial favs like Neko Case, PJ Harvey, Thelonius Monk (oops!), Glenn Branca, Young Gods, Jeff Buckley (RIP)."

Sharin Foo(The Raveonettes): "Did it embarrass you when Blender had you on the list of the hottest women in rock?" "SF: It’s a surreal concept. I was looking at the fellow hottest girls in rock trying to see if I was in good company or bad company. Everyone from PJ Harvey to Christina Aguilera."

Carla Azar(Autolux): "Were you influenced by any musicians while creating the album?" "Well, I think indirectly in a way, but also you know during the making of the record…you know actually, I just remembered this and I didn’t think of it until just now, but we’re friends with PJ Harvey, Polly is a really good friend of ours, a close friend, and she actually suggested at one point that we record the record ourselves. We had met with her for dinner, and we’re having dinner and talking about the dilemma of trying to find somebody to record our record, and she was asking us what kind of record we wanted to make. And we launched into all these ideas and everything, and she said “You guys need to produce and you need to make your own record. You know exactly what you want.” So, you know, we were around her, and I truly was around her a lot, I actually did some recordings with her, and she influenced me quite a bit just in the sense of being around that great of a singer and watching her work. So, I could say there was some influence there, and any other influence was probably based on listening to records and wanting our record to sound like records we loved the sound of."

Noddy Holder(Slade): "No, I really like this. It's the sort of thing Leonard Cohen used to do. I like PJ Harvey too. It will be good to see the video"(an excerpt from his review for the ""Henry Lee" single, from "Select")

Patterson Hood(Drive-By Truckers): "As for newer music, I’m loving Kurt Vile’s new album, The Low Anthem (Smart Flesh) and PJ Harvey’s “Let England Shake” album."

Patterson Hood(Drive-By Truckers): "But yeah, there’s a ton of great stuff floatin’ around. I’ve been listening to the new P.J. Harvey record, the one she did with John."

Dot Allison(One Dove): "I really liked White Chalk. I was really inspired by PJ Harvey and
Nick Cave. What they say between the words is very interesting."

Dot Allison(One Dove): "What were the inspirations before 'We Are Science'?" "Joy Division, Neitzche - Performance soundtrack, The Wicker Man Soundtrack, Adult - Erstaz stuff generally. I liked that label. Moroder, Wire - Chairs Missing, Dexcia, Le Car, The Scream, Spiritualized, PJ Harvey too for her sonic demeanour and attitude."

Dot Allison(One Dove): "PJ Harvey I’d like to work with."

Perfume Genius: "PJ Harvey-I Think I’m A Mother, just because she’s really menacing and what she sings is kind of sweet but she sounds like a monster, like she’s from hell while she’s just saying i love you, and you feel like it's the exact opposite. It sounds like she's saying I love you but there's a dark under current . I like that kind of contrast. It kind of trick's people into listening to something heavy by making it sound pretty."

Paul Livingstone(Trash Can Sinatras): "PJ Harvey. She s fuckin amazing -(Paul breaks into a PJ Harvey song)"

John Douglas(Trash Can Sinatras): "Aye (PJ's) last album was brilliant."

Linda Perry(written a handfull of ''hits'' for the likes of pink, aguilera etc.): "“To Bring You My Love” — PJ Harvey, “It’s PJ Harvey, what else needs to be said?”- (has TBYML as one of the songs on her spotify playlist, her ''band'' also covered DBTW)

Linda Perry(4 Non Blondes): "Down By The Water -PJ Harvey" (on perry's gym compilation)

Linda Perry(4 Non Blondes): "Like, there are no angry chicks left! I need a woman to get aggressive! I need a woman to pick up a guitar and fucking scream and rock out! PJ Harvey's still fucking rock..there aren't many though!"

Steve McDonald(Redd Kross): "PJ Harvey's Rid Of Me is a sonically stunning record, though it's just so dark"(Redd Kross also cover Oh My Lover)

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 44  Next