It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Change to Forum Style
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

The default forum style no longer supports polls, so most of you can not participate in them. I believe this happened when the board software was upgraded, but unfortunately the default theme, FiSubice2, has no upgrade. For this reason, we will be phasing it out.

There are other styles to choose from, some may appeal to you more than others. I've switched to Subsilver2 and find it to be most like FiSubice2. To change your style, go to your control panel and select "Board Preferences." Find the scrolling button, make a choice and click submit.

At some point, I may have to do a board override, which means I set the style and you won't have a choice, hopefully that will be temporary.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:58 am 
Site Admin

We haven't tried the overriding yet, but based on former experience with phpBB2 (the forum is now on phpBB3) I believe it will only override everyone's style once, then you'll be able to set your preferences back. Just don't find it strange if you log in one day and the forum looks different, that's all. We apologize in advance for whatever inconvenience the change might cause.

We are sorry to see Subice go, we've used it for so long it kinda became our trademark looks, besides being very user friendly. Personally, I find there are some skins that look better than Subsilver, but it's important to notice we need something that is both easy for new users to understand and won't confuse old ones. Some of them lack in that department (having post info on the right, banners that won't link to the main page, etc), so it's not just a matter of what looks cooler. Nevertheless, we'll be listening carefully if the group has a different preference regarding the default style.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:35 am 

Subsilver2 looks fine to me. I've switched.

I don't see anything wrong with forcing the default style to be one that is known to work correctly with all the features. A heads up for everyone should be sufficient. In fact, if there are styles that are discovered to have problems, I think they should be disabled (again with a heads up, for folks who may have been using them).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks doc. This is supposed to be the official announcement, but it seems to be a particularly slow weekend, not many people have read this yet. It's unfortunate because FiSubice2 is the default and most people haven't switched. I don't want to shock everyone with a new style and layout, but -

I looked up the source for FiSubice2 and it's no longer available for download nor are there any discussions at the web site about it. And, it's all in Dutch. I think. So it's time to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:18 am 

Using subsilver2, liked the old one better but as long as this board is still up I'm good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

I switched to subsilver2 around 2 weeks ago and now is completely familiar to me. It doesn't hurt much. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

If anyone wants to browse the library of approved styles and suggest a few, they can be found here: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/

I keep putting it off because of the low traffic we've had the last couple of days, but I'll probably start switching over soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, here we go...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:52 pm 

Yikes is this ever bright :shocked: not sure what my old one was called but it was nice and dark.

:geeker: ah...better with the shades, carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Ha! This is about the same shade as the old default style, you must have been using something else. All styles are still there, but FiSubice will be turned off at some point.

I guess people have to log on to show a change, but last time I checked, most people are still set to FiSubice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 am 

Dropped by the UCP and can't see an option to change it any more. The style I was using didn't function as it should but it was a nice shade of black, very mmmeeelllloooowwww after work. No big deal, I've picked myself up off the floor and I'm good to go again. It's the content and the fellow Pollyaddicts that are important H&HW.

Geez, I turn my back for one minute :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 am 
Site Admin

One of the styles was made especially for X-box 360, it came with a logo and everything. And then, you should see some of the ones we rejected!

I was just going to say, did something happen to the Quick Reply feature and now, here it is. I feel dizzy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 am 

Oh wow this place looks great! :)

Good to see the software problem got sorted out sorry I feel bad about my poll doing it but that's my luck. I prefer darker colors if given a choice, I love this style & have no problems with it but glossy black looks like the best to me. The content keeps me coming regardless. Thanks for all the kind help .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Not at all, your poll brought a problem to our attention and we needed to fix it.

Glossy black? All the styles are still available, we had to override users choices to get the style that appears before you log in to change. Again, check your board preferences if you want to try other styles, but FiSubice2 may be deleted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 am 

woohoo got my "Hermes Green" back (wasn't black after all lol) much better. You mentioned everything was still available yesterday Hell but "My board style" was not on the list under board preferences last night. It jumped from "My language" to "My timezone"
I live under fluorescent lights 8-12 hrs a day, this green makes my eyes feel all warm and fuzzy in the evening :shades: