It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am 

does anyone know when the rest of the videos are gonna be released, its gonna be one by one, or released like a dvd version???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 am 

She debuted at 43 in the US with 14,193 records sold. In comparison, White Chalk debuted at 45 and AWAMWB at 80. She needs to come promote over here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 am 

though i'd love for americans to like her, i feel like american just wont "get" her. most people want pop, country, or rap. we have to appeal to teenagers and shit, which sucks. they won't take the time to look into her message; a lot of people will just see it as "that weird indie stuff." i feel like most americans want their tunes they can sing along to. i sing along to polly, so whatevs.

not to make america sound dumb, cause i like my country, but on the topic of music it's true.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:13 am 

Pitchfork's "Let England Shake" review is currently the most read review on the site.

I'm so happy to see this record get so much exposure. Much deserved. People really seem to be liking it and talking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:
though i'd love for americans to like her, i feel like american just wont "get" her. most people want pop, country, or rap. we have to appeal to teenagers and shit, which sucks. they won't take the time to look into her message; a lot of people will just see it as "that weird indie stuff." i feel like most americans want their tunes they can sing along to. i sing along to polly, so whatevs.

not to make america sound dumb, cause i like my country, but on the topic of music it's true.

that's funny cause i've read a review today in which someone suggested that she is "moving away from the British eclecticism toward simplicity, lightness and minimalism" which is typical for Americans. but he didn't even mention the lyrics or the topic of war so i think it's very weak review. it's here (in polish) if anyone is interested: http://www.elephantshoe.pl/?p=4015

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 am 

HEY :eek: ! I'm an American teenager who likes PJ Harvey, and I totally take time to listen to her lyrics and message! I'm not offended though, it has been established that the average american teenager has poor taste in music (or an form of entertainment for that matter.) My sister and I take a lot of our musical influence from our parents, she is a big R.E.M. fan and we both like Tori Amos. Unlike most teenagers I've got a precious collection of CDs, all sorts of music from both Japan and America. At least I go to hippy school where everyone loves the old stuff like Led Zeppelin and Janis Joplin, and the new stuff like Nirvana and Radiohead and the White Stripes. But yes, your statement about American teenagers is entirely true. Sadly :tear:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 pm 

persongirl wrote:
HEY :eek: ! I'm an American teenager who likes PJ Harvey, and I totally take time to listen to her lyrics and message! I'm not offended though, it has been established that the average american teenager has poor taste in music (or an form of entertainment for that matter.) My sister and I take a lot of our musical influence from our parents, she is a big R.E.M. fan and we both like Tori Amos. Unlike most teenagers I've got a precious collection of CDs, all sorts of music from both Japan and America. At least I go to hippy school where everyone loves the old stuff like Led Zeppelin and Janis Joplin, and the new stuff like Nirvana and Radiohead and the White Stripes. But yes, your statement about American teenagers is entirely true. Sadly :tear:

well yeah there's the teenagers that deviate from what i said cause i was one of those kids when i was a teenager haha so i should've mentioned that; at my school i had to find kids that listened to the same music as me cause i was drowning in girls with bleached hair, hideously dark tan, uggs, and skanky clothes....nightmare!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:26 am 

Yeah, that was me when I was maybe ten or something. My generation has to deal with Miley Cyrus, who's skanktastic. Not to mention the rest of the Disney crap like highschool musical. As far as western pop music I really like Natasha Bedingfield (I hope I spelled that right, I stink at speaking my first language so bad), I think she's a great lyricist personally. I don't have a problem with pop music, just the pop stars. Pop music is very important and influential, Bjork said something about that in the interview that she and Polly did for that German tv show back in 1995.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 am 

It took a while, but The Colour of the Earth makes me cry :tear:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:50 am 

Cartman wrote:

Me too. I was listening to it walking through a graveyard and it suddenly hit me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 pm 

The album is pretty hyped on last.fm :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 pm 

I'm playing it over, and over, and over again. In full. Life is good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 pm 

Cartman wrote:

The Colour Of The Earth could possibly, POOOOSIBLY, be the best track on LES

:}

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 am 

Cartman wrote:

The album is pretty hyped on last.fm :)

YEEAAH! I want to see Lad Gargoyle's butt kicked off the charts by PJ!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:44 am 

according to mediatraffic.de LES sold 70,000 copies worldwide in its first week.
does anyone know how this compares to WC?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 68  Next