It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:49 pm 

astroboy64 wrote:
I thought Rolling Stone's review was short and polite, but deserved better. They're more likely to devote several paragraphs to a pedestrian song by Lady Gaga called "Born This Way", but unwilling to give "Let England Shake" the attention it deserves. What a rag.

I just agree with everything you said. Completely lame.

I listened to the album (FINALLY) on my long ass drive to work this morning. It's gray and raining out, so it's almost fitting. I could not stop smiling the whole way. What an amazing album. PJ Harvey, you are just too god damn good for words. "All & Everyone" is the stand out track upon first listen. It gave me chills and her voice is just :love:

Safe to say I will be listening to this album ALL DAY. :green:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:56 pm 

a moment of awe as I unwrap the album (arrived today)
and a sigh of silent delight as I open the folds of the digipack
then a moment's disappointment as I wonder: where's the lyrics?
but shortly I find the booklet inside the gatefold and begin to read

reading the lyrics off the page I'm really impressed
realizing how the music seems to trivialize these words
much more potent as they stand alone, eloquently
phrased without any instrumental interference

but playing the album also impresses me now
although not previously unheard, this music
just sounds better, much better audio quality
compared to the premature (mp3) download

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm 

So it's not the "real" Cat Stevens, but is it the "real" Tim Robbins? His name is in the thank you notes as well. He directed Cradle Will Rock, so I guess it could be him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm 

alonbp wrote:
So it's not the "real" Cat Stevens, but is it the "real" Tim Robbins? His name is in the thank you notes as well. He directed Cradle Will Rock, so I guess it could be him.

I was wondering the same thing.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 pm 

Haha, I thought the same thing! I was reading it and shouted out, TIM ROBBINS?! WHA?! lol

Ok, how gorgeous and effective is the wailing on "England" ? Wow. :love: :love: :love: I can't put this album down. The songs then stay in my head and my ears beg for another listen! :green:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:28 pm 

^ England, YES. Listen with headphones with the lyrics in front of you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:30 pm 

It is the catchiest album I've ever listened to. I can't get the songs out of my head, one will stick and will only leave when I listen to it then another sticks! I think it is one of the best albums ever made.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm 

I heard Tim Robbins has a great riposte to people who abuse him in the street for their belief that he is unpatriotic because of his questioning of the Iraq invasion: "Enlist!"

And the Baseball Hall of Fame banned him from giving his pre-arranged speech there because of his views. I couldn't imagine banning someone because I didn't agree with their views! The only good reason is he is a Mets fan! :-) He wrote a great article in response; something about a 'chill wind' blowing across America.

I was told a few years back, by someone with a good contact, that Robbins, a New Yorker, was on the West Coast of America on the day of the 9/11 attacks and, wanting to be in New York to help his friends and neighbours, he drove - flights in US airspace were banned, of course - all the way to the East Coast that day. Ironic, considering the vitriol directed at him afterwards.

Then again, it could be a different Tim Robbins thanked by Polly!

I listened to the album again today. Yes, still sounds bloody brilliant! The songs are going round in my head too.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:16 pm 

lunabag wrote:
It is the catchiest album I've ever listened to. I can't get the songs out of my head, one will stick and will only leave when I listen to it then another sticks! I think it is one of the best albums ever made.

It certainly is catchy. The songs go round and round in my head when I go to sleep. I've been playing it over and over (maybe that is why :)).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am 

Mine is ordered!!! Can't wait!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:11 am 

Yeah, speaking of sleep, it's not easy. As I'm nodding off I can still hear the refrain of "Its fruit is deformed children" going over and over in my head. And as soon as I wake up, there it is again. Maybe I should stop listening to it 20 times a day?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 am 

Went into HMV today and saw the album sitting nicely on two, very prominent shelves at the front of the store. Was already listening to my copy :D I caved and bought the Vinyl as well, so now I'll have two. lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm 

Let England Shake promo/animation i saw on tv last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaAD_ExIWoA i thought it was pretty good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
Let England Shake promo/animation i saw on tv last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaAD_ExIWoA i thought it was pretty good!

Hehe thats pretty cool :D Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:48 pm 

New feature interview in this month's Q magazine, which I've photographed (I don't have a scanner!)

The flash on the camera obscured some text, so I have typed out the bits that you can't see in the pictures under the second spoiler tag

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
[Page 2]
"...were I in that role?' And that became the starting point for the record."

...clearing up bits of decomposing aborted lambs...

[Page 3]
But you've admitted you felt you'd been "self-destructive" during that period. Was that a by-product of suddenly being in the public eye?
It was part of it, but not all of it. At that time in anyone's life, you go through stages when you wonder are you doing the best thing that you could be doing with your life. Not just for yourself, but in the service of others as well. It's a time in your life, through your 20s and your early 30s, where you question that. I think that's really natural.

[Page 4]
What do you think when you listen back to your old records?
Well, thee are some albums I feel very connected to and very proud of, and there are others that I don't feel so much that way about. Stories From The City... is not an album that I want to play very much at all.

--

"...I was actually there in '89 in Berlin when they hacked down the wall as well. And yeah, in Washington DC, our hotel overlooked the Pentagon on the day that it ahd the plane flown into it."

So you were actually in the hotel when the plane hit?
Yeah. I didn't even wake up [laughs]. I felt really cheated. I thought, "Why didn't I even wake up?" We had had a late gig the night before but that was no excuse..."

[Page 5]
How do you feel about growing older?
Really great, actually. I can only say that getting older has so far been a good thing for me. I welcome it.

Do you feel more comfortable in your skin? Less inner turbulence going on?
Definitely. It's just very natural, isn't it? You get to a point where you accept yourself, your weaknesses and your strengths..."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 68  Next