It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:18 am 

This YT video recently showed up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMU9sTDqCuM

which shows this url:
http://www.freewebs.com/blacksessions/

which says at the bottom:

Most of the CDs are available at our stocks. The price is $36.75 which is much less than the average music catalogue price. For further inquiry or/and an order please contact: ELANA Music Distribution, elana@gonmail.com

The 1998 PJ Black Sessions is a well known bootleg and has circulated (even on dime?) for many years.

I'm pretty sure this is a fake as there doesn't seem to be a "Sangatte Records" web site. Google also found this forum post:
http://www.madrugadamusic.com/forum/sho ... .php?t=567
and this one:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... %26hl%3Den

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:30 am 
Site Admin

There's a link to the Sangatte Records website on one of the forums.

http://www.sangatterecords.tk/

:lala:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:16 am 

They are unofficial.
But what the hell, I still have one in my collection.

This is what discogs has as a profile.

Sangatte Records
Profile:
An exclusive distribution music label which sells live bootleg recordings made by French Radio DJ Bernard Lenoir (lenoir means black in English) 'The Black Sessions'. Recently, Michelle Soulier has joined as a host on the radio show. The sessions are limited to 2,500 copies on CD format as "promotional releases" for mostly local radio DJ's in Europe and North America.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 pm 

looks like a pre-FM source!

if it's promotional/not official, is it ok to ask for flac?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:40 am 

I can pass it along if the admins have no issues with it.

I'll also add that they haven't gone to the trouble of silver CD's. They are CD-R's :eyeroll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:23 am 
Site Admin

CD-Rs? Sounds funky enough.

Although the line is fuzzy sometimes, posting links to unofficial releases is ok. And if it's ok with Dime, it's ok with us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:58 am 

As I tried to indicate with the "?" in my comment "even on dime?" above, I'm not 100% sure this has actually been up on dime. My flacs are not accompanied by a txt or md5 file so I don't think I got them from dime. Dime shows the video of this show up, but not the audio. Can anyone verify they got their audio from dime?

Having said that, it would seem that since it was never for sale commercially and is long since unavailable we would allow it in the Amusement Park, right?

This is an wierd case because it was broadcast on FM. So the source of the flacs could be either ripped from the promo CD or recorded off the air. How could dime or anyone else verify what source they were actually from? There is video of the show also so there's that as well. Db.etree. shows the audio with lots of collectors.

http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=107158

Is there any way to see if a show has been torrented on dime in the past? We should try a torrent of the audio at dime and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Hmm, all I have is the DVD and some mp3s, neither includes the first song.

If these are considered bootlegs to begin with, I would think think that they would be fine. They were promotional, never for sale, so distributing them isn't cutting into anyone's profits. I don't know how to tell if this has ever been torrented, unless Google has cached a page. But there are other Black Sessions currently being distributed on Dime. So I think it's fine.

Also, Dime doesn't demand a lineage if one isn't available, "liberated from bootleg" is enough. In fact, "I found this in a shoebox" is enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 pm 

Just to clarify, it's not just my copy that is a cd-r (with a label pressed on it), thats what all these Black Session CD's are. Any of the information i've found on them seems to point in that direction anyway. I honestly don't think this should be considered anything other than a boot or I wouldn't have offered it up.
"Liberated boots" are cool on DaD but they have to come from silver cd's (or am I thinking of TTD). That may be why it hasn't been upped?. As long as they are lossless I guess they would never know but I'm not up for testing the waters with it so direct DL's it is.
Just got in from work, I'll get the EAC on the go to get the flacs. Someone please confirm that you want to check them out before I put them up, no point in spending bandwidth for nuttin :wink:

H&HW, I haven't done my homework, what was the first track? Just wondering if it's on this. It certainly doesn't have the tracks in the order they were performed, that much I can tell. It's kind of butchered as a matter of fact :eyeroll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

The first track is Is This Desire? It's not on the DVD, but it is listed in the gigography and other lists.

I presume that the sound quality is excellent, and it would be nice to have the whole show, so I don't think there's any need to preview. Whenever you have time, no rush.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:27 am 

Thanks Hell, I wasn't being lazy, well actualy I was but I was looking for a cup of tea and feet on coffee table for a bit :shades: Monday and all that.

Okay, jumped over and checked the setlist and it is complete and in order. They lopped out some audience in places though. The tracks were just numbered so I took a moment to name them. I left them .wav, didn't see the point in converting to flac if it wasn't heading to a tracker. I would have loved taking it to dime but didn't feel comfy with it.

Hey DrDark, you mentioned having flacs, if your going to pass on these maybe you could just check out one track to see if it sounds the same as your source?

The files are heading up as we speak, should be about an hour.

I've always loved this version of FFQ. Maybe because I've heard the original so many times it's just nice to hear it a little different. I don't know but I just love the way it chug's along at the slower tempo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:58 am 

Dropped the files in the AMUSEMENT PARK

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 am 

bluesman905 wrote:
Thanks Hell, I wasn't being lazy, well actualy I was but I was looking for a cup of tea and feet on coffee table for a bit :shades: Monday and all that.

Okay, jumped over and checked the setlist and it is complete and in order. They lopped out some audience in places though. The tracks were just numbered so I took a moment to name them. I left them .wav, didn't see the point in converting to flac if it wasn't heading to a tracker. I would have loved taking it to dime but didn't feel comfy with it.

Hey DrDark, you mentioned having flacs, if your going to pass on these maybe you could just check out one track to see if it sounds the same as your source?

The files are heading up as we speak, should be about an hour.

I've always loved this version of FFQ. Maybe because I've heard the original so many times it's just nice to hear it a little different. I don't know but I just love the way it chug's along at the slower tempo.

See the thread in the Amusement Park.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:

Also, Dime doesn't demand a lineage if one isn't available, "liberated from bootleg" is enough. In fact, "I found this in a shoebox" is enough.

And of course the first show I looked at on Dime today had a CD-R in the lineage :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm sure the real issue is old tapes. I know a guy that used to have hundreds of Grateful Dead shows on tape that he got in trade from different sources, this kind of thing is how Dime got started. What possible lineage could he provide? So here's 250 Dead shows but he can't share any of them on Dime?

BTW, you could pull a tape at random out of his collection and play it. He'd tell you the date and venue, that the version of St. Stephen was especially good and maybe what shirt Jerry was wearing that night, all from memory.

Ok, that last was a joke. Jerry almost always wore a black t-shirt. ;)