It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:01 pm 

I am enjoying the Orlam illustrated edition, but some of the illustrations leave me with questions. I wondered if anyone here might have ideas …

There is a drawing of some dogs 2 pages before “September” starts, but they remind me more of the sort of dogs you would see in Afghanistan (like the ones in Hollow of the Hand) rather than Dorset. It doesn’t seem to fit with Orlam to me. Does anyone else think that?

Before “December”, there is a “Zoetrope” style picture with a rabbit/hare in the foreground. I call it “Zoetrope” style because it reminds me very much of the style of drawing she used there, even down to the big white swirl right across the picture. So again, I wondered why it was included here. There’s nothing wrong with it but I’m wondering why it is included here when she drew it about 13 years ago.

Also before “December” there is a picture of the woods with a horned man and a floating head with a trail of hair. This one is very “Orlam”, but who is the floating head? That confuses me. I thought maybe Wyman-Elvis, but he has a bleeding neck, and the floating head has no neck so that doesn’t really work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:16 pm 

I have no idea, maybe those drawings are not necessarily meant to illustrate the story literally but they just fit the overall atmosphere...?
Not to sound spiteful but I wouldn't read too much into them. This reminds me, it used to be the same case with book covers and album covers decades ago, where sometimes the main images were completely unrelated to the content (or even the title), while today (here comes the boomer in me) everything seems so much more literal...